This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Revival wishes

Given that you could have any ballet of your choice revived with the cast of your choice, what would you most like to see?

Currently, I'd go for Stone Flower, with Alexandrova as Mistress of the Copper Mountain.

Or Ashton's Phersephone, a ballet I have always been curious to see.

Given that you could have any ballet of your choice revived with the cast of your choice, what would you most like to see?

Currently, I'd go for Stone Flower, with Alexandrova as Mistress of the Copper Mountain.

Or Ashton's Phersephone, a ballet I have always been curious to see.

I like your Stone Flower, that was enjoyable with the Bolshoi years ago, but the time is ripe to really out do the performances of earlier times. I'd start by giving production control to Lavrosky's son, he's been doing a lot of this lately with his father's ballets, and also hope for better lighting. Your casting of Masha Alexandrova is inspired for Mistress Copper, and for the young couple Danilo/Katerina there is now a perfect pair, Ivan Vasiliev/Natasha Osipova! For the great Gypsy Solo I'd go absolutely first class with Maria Allash. Maybe a small part, but musically crucial. Allash and Osipova will get some of the best, and very-well suited to them, of Prokofiev's score. Masha's charisma, her reach over the whole stage, could control the progress of the story to make it more classically clear. But who would you cast as Severyan?

When that's worked out, then we'll have the Met write a letter to Mr. Ratmansky.

And I'd vote for any Ashton...

But who would you cast as Severyan?

When that's worked out, then we'll have the Met write a letter to Mr. Ratmansky.

I think I'll write that letter anyway...

Oh there is that dancer who plays a minor role on the DVD of Pique Dame - Genaddy Geraskin - I don't know how much good he is at a full-blown character role, but he certainly knows how to be nastily repulsive.

Or we could give Nikolai Tsiskaridze a try, whose Carabosse and Rothbart are apparently sensational (well, I've seen the Rothbart, so I can testify to that). Not exactly traditional Severyan-style, but one could give it a try.

david vaughan has indicated that there is a reasonable possibility of reviving ashton's PERSEPHONE.

one 'pie in the sky' revival haunting my wish list would be BAISER DE LA FEE 3x - in chron. order

1] nijinska's 1928 version; scen & cos. by benois

2] ashton's 1935 version; scen & cos. by fedorovitch

3] balanchine's 1937 version; scen by ? and cos. by halicka

all on one bill.

3] balanchine's 1937 version;

I saw a revival of this in 1946 by the Denham Ballet Russe. I am not sure how grand the production was; the Denham Company appeared to exist on a 'shoestring'; but I was enchanted with Marie-Jeanne as the Bride (saw Danilova, too, but felt she was unsuited to the part) and Maria Tallchief was truly marvelous as the mysterious Fairy. It would be wonderful to see a grand production of this work.