This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gala fare

Dale

While watching the Stars of the 21st Century Gala, I started to think about what I would like and wouldn't like to see at such galas. Some people complain about the "War Horse" pieces such as Don Q pas, but I like them in such a context. Whereas, I am bored by the roll around and emote pas that have been more the norm at this event. Thinking that the options are limited, I put together a list of gala fare (some work better than others). Feel free to add yours.

Swan Lake White Swan pas

Swan Lake Black Swan pas

Sleeping Beauty Grand Pas de Deux

Bluebird pas

Esmarelda pas

Diana and Acteon

Corsaire

Raymonda

Grand Pas Classique

Giselle pas

Peasant pas

Don Q

Pharaoh's Daughter pas

The Talisman Pas de deux

Satanella Pas de deux

Flower Festival at Genanzo: Pas de deux

Harlequinade pas

Manon pas (MacMillan)

romeo and Juliet balcony pas (Ashton or MacMillan or Lavery or any decent version)

Thais (Ashton)

Voices of Spring (Ashton)

Birthday Offering pas

Known By Heart pas

Light Rain

Sparticus

Herman Schmerman pas

In the Middle... pas

Dying Swan

Middle Duet

Beethoven Romance

Estatic Orange pas

Barber Violin pas

Tschaikovsky pas

Sylvia pas

Tarantella

Divert. Brillante

Diana and Acteon

Rubies pas

Diamonds pas

Stars and Stripes pas

Harlequinade pas de deux (the Tallchief one or the McBride)

Any others?

At a gala I like to see a mixture of romantic, classical and "over the top" pdd. I'd love to to see Spring Waters again - I think the last time I saw that one Makarova did it so you know it was awhile ago! There's also a pdd from the Soviet era Bolshoi that I've only seen on tape - I think it's called the Moscovite’s Waltz. I'd love to see that one live!

Standard gala fare that one often sees in Russia (besides those listed above):

Taras Bulba gopak (explosive-but-brief male solo)...usually encored

Flames of Paris pdd

"The Blind Girl" by Yakobsen (a pdd-adagio to 'Estrellita' popular Spanish tune)

"Russian Souvenir" also by Yakobsen (a pdd - cutesy Russian dolls)

Other Yakobsen gems - such as 'Troika,' 'The Gossipy Women,' 'The Kiss,' etc....but 'Blind Girl' and "Russian Souvenir" appear the most often, it seems

"Narcisse" male solo by Goleizovsky

Ocean and Two Pearls pas de trois, from the Gorsky version of Little Humpbacked Horse

Bakhti pdd by Bejart - doggone it, it's all over Russia

...and the one that will make me scream if I see it once again, it is so over-used:

"The Fairy Doll" pas de trois

Standard gala fare that one often sees in Russia (besides those listed above):

Taras Bulba gopak (explosive-but-brief male solo)...usually encored

Flames of Paris pdd

Ocean and Two Pearls pas de trois, from the Gorsky version of Little Humpbacked Horse

...and the one that will make me scream if I see it once again, it is so over-used:

"The Fairy Doll" pas de trois

The first two are a lot of fun. I agree they are great gala choices.

I've never seen the pdt from LHH and would really like to.

But Fairy Doll????? You want to scream?

Me = :yucky::):yucky:

Forgive me, Richard, but LHH? :) Can't figure out what that stands for.

Other Dances is good between two high-powered displays. Also from Robbins, the three sailor variations from Fancy Free, although I suspect the rights are granted only contingent on the ballet being performed whole.

I've seen a sort of mini-divertisement DonQ with an ensemble of four women, the two flower girls dancing their variations, and Kitri and Basil dancing the grand pdd. It worked well.

I've often wondered why Gamzatti and Solor's betrothal pdd is never danced (to my knowledge) in these kinds of galas. I love the woman's variation there!

Forgive me, Richard, but LHH? :huh: Can't figure out what that stands for.

I've often wondered why Gamzatti and Solor's betrothal pdd is never danced (to my knowledge) in these kinds of galas. I love the woman's variation there!

LHH is Little Humpbacked Horse. I wasn't familiar with that abbreviation until I read it here on BT and thought I was TOTALLY uncool for not knowing it!

I love the Gamzatti's variation too. But I haven't watched it in a while. It might need to have some arranging done to work as a pdd. Isn't there one point where Gamzatti is lifted by several guys?

Thanks! I was scanning the list for something fitting the acronym, but nothing here. Having a context would have helped. :huh:

You're right about Gamzatti being lifted by four guys. I suppose for concert purposes a promenade or something could be substituted, rather like the Black Swan moment when Odile needs an emergency tete-a-tete with her dad.

Many of the "russian" gala fare mentioned above were recently performed at a Boston Ballet gala on Sept. 25, 2006. Both "Gopak" and "Spring Waters" were done by them before. I think they also did that "Moscovite Waltz" mentioned above (would have to doublecheck program, which I don't have in front of me now). In addition, they did the usual excerpt from "Raymonda", and Forsythe's "In the Middle..." pdd. But the one I had forgotten, not having seen it in nearly 10 years, was Edward(?) Stierle's (sp?) "Lachrymosa" to Mozart; a distillation of many emotions in a short powerful solo, and the music helped too.

There's also a pdd from the Soviet era Bolshoi that I've only seen on tape - I think it's called the Moscovite’s Waltz. I'd love to see that one live!

I've never seen it live either. You would need a small girl and a strong catcher for that one, Osipova and Uvarov perhaps?

By the way it isn't the Moscovite Waltz, it's the Moszkovsky Waltz named after the music's composer Moritz Moszkowsky. Moszkowsky is a neglected figure these days but he wrote a really sunny piano concerto and some wonderful solo piano works including the waltz.

For anyone interested in this forgotten composer there is some basic information about him on the Naxos website:

http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/716.htm

I have only been to one Gala---last April, the Youth America Grand Prix at the NYCity Center---my first and last :) I came away feeling as though I had eaten too many rich desserts and craved something more substantial. There should be a ban on performing the Swan Lake white PDD as a separate piece---it simply doesn't work with a blaring blue background.