This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello from Boston

fadedhour

Hello, everyone,

My name is Jessica and I'm a student in Boston, originally from the Washington, DC area. I haven't seen much ballet, but I'm looking forward to exploring the world of dance more. I saw The Nutcracker several times with my family when I was younger, but the experience which really got me into ballet was seeing the Hamburg Ballet's "Nijinsky" at the Kennedy Center three years ago. My grandmother took me and we had amazing seats. The ballet just blew me away, and completely changed my conception of what ballet could be. I've just seen "Death in Venice" in New York over the weekend, and I greatly enjoyed that as well.

I would love to see more ballets like this, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Oh, and I haven't seen anything by the Boston Ballet yet, but I hope to go next month :)

I'm looking forward to discussing ballet with you all and learning a lot!

As a huge generalization, there is a difference between the ballet scene in Europe and in North America. You are not likely to find many productions along the lines of Neumeier's from American companies.

However, ballet is a big world comprising many sub-genres, and it's all there for you (and us) to discover. I hope you'll report on your reactions as you embark on your journey.

Welcome to BalletTalk, fadedhour.

As a huge generalization, there is a difference between the ballet scene in Europe and in North America. You are not likely to find many productions along the lines of Neumeier's from American companies.

Hmm - I figured as much. I suppose it's tours and DVDs till I get to go to Europe, then. I'm looking forward to discovering what American companies have to offer in the meantime. I'll definitely share my experiences.

Welcome to BalletTalk, fadedhour.

Thank you!