This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Since we recently discussed the Mariinsky DVDs that are available in Japan...a lead-in to...

I'm traveling to Tokyo in mid-March and was wondering if there's a particularly good shop where I may buy ballet & other classical-arts DVDs? Any good stores for ballet books? Do the big opera/ballet theaters in Tokyo have shops? (I'm going to the New National Theater for some performances but can visit other theaters just for the shopping, if need be.)

Thanks, in advance, for any tips! :angel_not:

- Natalia

I am definitely not the world traveler, and I know nothing about shopping in Japan, but I just wanted to let you know that if you are not already aware of the beautiful ballet magazines that are printed in Japan, you should look for some -- the ones I've seen are beautiful, and include ballet stars from around the world.

Since we recently discussed the Mariinsky DVDs that are available in Japan...a lead-in to...

I'm traveling to Tokyo in mid-March and was wondering if there's a particularly good shop where I may buy ballet & other classical-arts DVDs? Any good stores for ballet books? Do the big opera/ballet theaters in Tokyo have shops? (I'm going to the New National Theater for some performances but can visit other theaters just for the shopping, if need be.)

Thanks, in advance, for any tips! :)

- Natalia

Just go to Akihabara and say, "DVD wo hoshii!" :huh: You can find just about anything in there!

There are TONS of gigantic DVD stores. I think Yodobashi is a decent place to start (it's technically the "World biggest camera store" but has a huge DVD section) and then there's a store next to one of Yodobashi's Towers that also sells DVDs, IIRC.

(a) Be aware of region-coding. Japan is R2 and so you need a regionfree dvd player.

(b) You're prolly already aware that Japan is expensive but you might not realize the extent until you go to buy DVDs. The Diana Vishneva/Malakhov GISELLE (a must have) is about $70. Each of the K-Ballet DVDs are >$70 with the Kumakawa BEING A DANCER Box being around $200+ (for CARMEN, BOLERO, and BEING A DANCER).

Also, on a side note, you should DEFINITELY go to the Ghibli museum in Mitaka! You have to order tickets in advance, but if you've ever seen TOTORO, CASTLE IN THE SKY, KIKIS DELIVERY SERVICE, HOWLS MOVIGN CASTLE, SPIRITED AWAY, CAT'S RETURN, etc. etc. you must visit it! It's well worth it (plus you get to see an extra short movie ther!)

and you might see if KBallet has any open classes; at least visit the company and buy their magazine (PIROUETTE).

http://www.k-balletgate.com/

-goro-

Here is one very large music shop in Ginza、 heart of Tokyo.

Yamano Music

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2764...o_music_tokyo-i

You can buy many classical and Ballet DVDs there.

If you are going to New National Theatre, you can buy some DVDs there.

And Chacott as mentioned before is a good choice.

Japanese Dance Magazine is a magazine filled with many beautiful ballet photographs. You can buy at New National Theatre or the bookshop at Yamano Music, Chacott.

http://www.shinshokan.co.jp/dance/index_dance.html

Natalia,

Maybe Yamano Music might not sell magazines, although you can get some free magazines on Classical music. Anyway, you can buy Dance Magazine at most bookstores. And I think the ballet DVD section of Yamano is large.

Ginza is a very high-class, fashionable town and you are sure to enjoy there.

If you are in Japan on March 4th, Alina Cojocaru and Manuel Legris' Giselle will be broardcasted on TV. Channel 3, 10pm.

And there is a library at the New National Theatre that has an archive on previous Ballet and Opera performances. You can watch footage for no charge.

http://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/about/te...rary/index.html

Natalia,

Yes, Fairy is also a good shop for Ballet Lovers. Sorry I forgot to mention.

You can buy back numbers for Dance Magazine, and also many beautiful ballet books and wear.

If you are staying in Shibuya, HMV's classical floor has also many Ballet DVDs, and discount on some on of them.