This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nicholas Johnson

It is sad to record the passing of Nicholas Johnson a former dancer with the Royal Ballet Touring company and English National Ballet.

I first encountered Nicholas when he was still a student who almost wildy snatched binoculars from a ballet regular as Vladimir Vasiliev whirled around the stage, so that he could witness the phenomenon more closely.

He will be remembered for his clean elegant technique and sensitive playing of leading roles.

New Yorkers may remember him appearing in the play, "Nijinsky death of a faun" in which he cameoed dance roles and portrayed Nijinsky sinking into mental ill-health.

He leaves a widow Laura Connor the foirmer Royal Ballet dancer.

Yes, Nicholas will be sadly missed. My empathy goes out to Laura. I hope there will be some tributes.

I realise that few American readers will know about Nicholas Johnson's career, but an obituary has now appeared in the Daily Telegraph which paints a brief but accurate career resume and his work with Nureyev and Makarova which may interest some.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml...5/btswan115.xml