This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I wasn't able to locate/access the above link. Would it be possible to indicate the content? Rodney, with Miss Patti, was part of a vanishing breed of nuts & bolts teachers who loved ballet, loved kids, and loved inspiring them to try from 5 years old to 50. A wonderful, big hearted man. RIP.

I think you have to be registered on BT4D to read it. Here's the post from Mel Johnson:

As Ballet Talk for Dancers' membership includes several people who knew and worked with Mr. Irwin, the Ruth Page Foundation has asked that the board be given the following information directly:

This is the basic press information released through the Ruth Page Foundation. See "Links" for the format as it is appearing in the Chicago Trib:

Rodney Irwin passed away yesterday morning. He was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer last fall and had been going through treatment ever since.

A wake will be held on Monday, Feb. 5 from 4:00 - 8:00 at the Barr Funeral Home. 6222 N. Broadway, Chicago. The funeral will be on Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 10:30 AM at St. Gertrude Church, 1420 W. Granville, Chicago. He is survived by his wife, Patricia Klekovic.

Donations may be made in his name to the scholarship fund at the Ruth Page Foundation.

If there is more published information, members are invited to link to them. It is also appropriate for members to write their own tributes to Mr. Irwin in this thread. Thank you.

Well done, good and faithful servant;

May you have eternal rest,

May light eternal shine upon you.

I wasn't able to locate/access the above link. Would it be possible to indicate the content? Rodney, with Miss Patti, was part of a vanishing breed of nuts & bolts teachers who loved ballet, loved kids, and loved inspiring them to try from 5 years old to 50. A wonderful, big hearted man. RIP.

Yes indeed. Rodney Irwin and his wife inspired many childern to dance and to follow their dreams to be dancers. He will be remembered by the many people's lives he touched over the years. Cheers.

I was a student of Mr. Irwin's during part of high school, and I admit that I sat in shocked silence when I read of his death. He was a wonderful, funny man who loved to teach and enjoyed working with his students, be it his Ballet IV class on Saturdays (which I took) or his adult classes (I fondly remember helping him by demonstrating barre exercises for his adult basic ballet class). While I have not danced in a few years now, as I am in college, Mr. Irwin has remained in my memory: his kindness, his knocking his cane on the floor to keep beat with the piano, and even his affection for Butterfingers.

Mr. Irwin, you will be sorely missed by many.

A reader sent this message:

I was shocked to hear that Rodney had died. I knew him and Patti back in Pittsburgh where we were all part of the founding of Pittsburgh Ballet Theater along with Nicholas and Marion Petrov.

Any information you can provide would be helpful.

carbro can you have this person contact me?

thanks

A reader sent this message:
I was shocked to hear that Rodney had died. I knew him and Patti back in Pittsburgh where we were all part of the founding of Pittsburgh Ballet Theater along with Nicholas and Marion Petrov.

Any information you can provide would be helpful.