This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From NYCB seminar: admired corps members

AmandaNYC

While I'm creating new topics...

NYCB had a seminar on Monday that was moderated by Peter Boal and whose panelists were Jenifer Ringer, Maria Kowroski, and Jennie Somogyi-- the newest principals.

One set of answers interested me most. Boal asked about whom in the corps they admired most. He asked for two names each.

Ringer:

Elizabeth Walker (w/ whom Ringer attended SAB). Ringer said she had the technique of a Merrill Ashley.

Carla Korbes

Kowroski:

Carla Korbes

Amanda Edge. Kowroski described how Edge's love of dance and performing is evident every time she is on stage

Somogyi:

Amanda Edge

Rachel Rutherford (who entered the corps when Somogyi did). Somogyi said that you can tell that Rutherford's dancing comes from some place deep inside her.

That's what I recall. I found it quite interesting to hear what other dancers admire.

-amanda

Thanks for that report. I certainly agree with each choice. Elizabeth Walker is just wonderful to watch. She danced the Russian girl in an SAB performance of Serenade when she was about 15 I think, and she was just so abandonded. She also danced the lead in Robert La Fosse's fairy tale ballet at the SAB performance I saw however long ago it was, and I just loved her. She is so much fun to watch, because she always seems to be so happy on stage.

She's also doing some teaching at SAB now (they list her as "Apprentice Teacher") and I think that's a great choice by the school.

Two images of Walker I can never forget come from the Nutcracker: Walker is usually the first Snowflake on stage, and she bourees out and just stands there for a moment in sous-sus (with beautiful epaulement too, which is something you always notice about her), in the blue half light, while the snow starts to swirl down. You can't take your eyes off of her at that moment, she is unspeakably eloquent to the point of bringing tears to my eyes.

The other is her rendition of Columbine, which is one of the glories of that production. A few years ago when Janie Taylor regularly did Harlequin, what a pair they were.

Terry, it depends on what you consider a *major* role. She certainly has had principal roles in the last year-- In Saratoga she did the Fairy of Generosity. And in NY, she's done one of the five leads in Divertimento No. 15, led the Bach section of Episodes, and Kowroski's part in Organon, in addition to her own part in Soiree. But, I would agree that taking on Titania does seem a bit more major... esp. when you consider who else does it in the co: Kowroski, Kistler, and Whelan (most of us probably wish Meunier were on that list, too).

As for Elizabeth Walker's teaching ability. Another volunteer told me Albert Evans compare Walker to Ashley in her teaching ability.

-amanda

Korbes is certainly one dancer to watch.

Walker was part of one of the great workshop clases at SAB. In Serenade, Walker did the Russian Girl, Meunier was the Dark Angel, Tanya Gingerich the Waltz girl with Arch Higgens her partner. They did Episodes and Symphony in C that year. I remember that Meunier and James Fayette did the 2nd movement of Sym. in C (it was incredable) and Ethan Stiefel and Walker did the 3rd movement. The were so small but really flew.

With they way they've approached their roles, it's no wonder Edge and Rutherford are admired. Rutherford really should be promoted to soloist, but of course, then we'd never see her :)

Re: Titania. Let's not forget Riolama Lorenzo also did the part at NYCB recently. She had such a gorgeous arabesque and was equally good as Helena (or Hermia, I get the names confused. The one in maroon).

Hello from Saratoga, where we are counting down the days until NYCB comes back for three weeks of magic--JULY 10 is opening night.

I am most anxious to get a good look at Carla Korbes, after all this recent talk and her casting in Midsummer. Yes she did Fairy of Generosity last summer, which is a lovely variation, but just to split hairs for a minute, I would not call it a principal role in the way that Titania is. Merde, Carla!

I do remember being impressed with her in Fanfare during the winter season.

Elizabeth Walker--I was fortunate to meet her a few years ago. She presented a program at the public library in Saratoga, where I work. what a charming and delightful person she is, as well as a beautiful dancer.

I actually had to confirm with my daughter that Rachel Rutherford is not yet a soloist. This is shocking. Rachel is one of the most generous dancers I have ever seen--she does seem to reach deep inside herself and gives it all in her performances.

I look forward to posting often when NYCB is here. I go to every performance.