This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sidney Sheldon, RIP

Sidney Sheldon has died at age 89. I admit to enjoying “The Other Side of Midnight.”

During World War II, he served as a pilot in the Army Air Corps. In the New York theater after the war he established his reputation as a prolific writer. At one time he had three musicals on Broadway: a rewritten ''The Merry Widow,'' ''Jackpot'' and ''Dream with Music.'' He received a Tony award as one of the writers of the Gwen Verdon hit ''Redhead.'' His Broadway success brought about his return to Hollywood.

Sidney Sheldon has died at age 89. I admit to enjoying “The Other Side of Midnight.”

I have to admit to enjoying The Other Side of Midnight, too.

Sometimes we need to have trashy guilty pleasures, no?

I loved The Other Side of Midnight. I refuse to feel guilty, unless I'm laughing uncontrollably about something in really poor taste (like the film Raumschiff Surprise).

I have to admit to enjoying The Other Side of Midnight, too.

Sometimes we need to have trashy guilty pleasures, no?

I loved The Other Side of Midnight. I refuse to feel guilty, unless I'm laughing uncontrollably about something in really poor taste (like the film Raumschiff Surprise).

You know, there's good trash and bad trash. Some of his other opuses I couldn't get through, but 'Midnight' worked.

He was an important television writer, too, if not a terribly original one. He wrote entire seasons of “The Patty Duke Show” and “I Dream of Jeannie” more or less singlehandedly.

Sheldon got to be delightfully trashy in his later years, but I think my favorite is still "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer." It's a great script and Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Shirley Temple are a cast who can do it justice (and do).

Considerably more justice than it deserved. Seldom have I been so embarrassed for Grant.