This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Karen Kain

carbro

A nice interview with Kain here. I liked her comments on Nureyev.

When you took the helm of the company 10 years ago, what did you want to accomplish as artistic leader? What do you think are your most notable achievements during these years?

After being with the National Ballet for so many years, I had three very straightforward goals. I thought that the company needed to raise its level of dancing and to have a more varied repertory; and we needed to be part of the world conversation as a ballet company. The latter could be only achieved if we had better dancers and a more diverse repertory, including more original works......

When a ballet company is run by a choreographer, it’s very normal that the point of view of the company becomes the point of view of that choreographer. In the past, we were very much focused on the works of James Kudelka; we had a large number of his ballets, which we still perform frequently. I thought we needed to diversify the repertoire a lot more. I wanted to work with other choreographers of our time. That’s why I started reaching out to Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Alexei Ratmansky. I knew that they could take the company to the next level.