This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Website Glitches

Hi everyone,

This is my first time starting a topic, but just wanted to give people a heads up.

Today I ordered tickets through the NYCB website for sat matinee.

I placed my order with apparently no problem. Then several hours later got a call telling me that the performance has in fact been sold out for a week and a half, and that they have no idea why the website is allowing people to buy tickets--"it must be a website glitch."

I just thought people might like to know--it might be better to trust to the phone at the moment.

Best,

Aurora

Thanks for the warning, aurora.

You'd think there'd be a Sold-Out message before the transaction was completed.

I emailed the webmaster and she kindly wrote back immediately.

I think there was if you ordered tix normally--problem was they didnt somehow translate that over to the 4th ring circle thing, which was how I ordered my tickets.

She actually hadn't been informed of the problem and was really glad that I brought it to her attention.

Oh well. At least the webmistress was very very nice (unlike the woman who called me about the snafu, who just sounded vaguely annoyed that she had to break the bad news).

Unfortunately I think I'm going to miss out on sleeping beauty this season. It was really the only time that worked for me (I'm a performer and I am working in the available evenings).

Unfortunately I think I'm going to miss out on sleeping beauty this season. It was really the only time that worked for me (I'm a performer and I am working in the available evenings).

Aurora:

First of all, don't despair. You will get into that performance. I guarantee it, or my name's not Klavier.

(Well, actually my name is not Klavier, that's just my nom de poste. What parents would name their kid Klavier. But you get the picture.)

Here's what you do. You go to the theater about two hours early, and bring as much cash as you intend to spend for a ticket. You first go to the box office and ask what's available for today. People quite often return tickets - this one is sick, the other one doesn't feel like going, there was an unexpected emergency, whatever - and if the tickets are returned to the box office, they're back in the available pool. If there's nothing just now, you tell the nice person at the box office that you'll try again a little later. And you do so in about 45 minutes.

Your other hope, and your best hope, is to buy from someone selling at the door. Again, someone is sick, someone doesn't feel like going, whatever. Don't be surprised if there's no action until about 30-40 minutes before curtain. It's a waiting game, and you have to be patient. But look for someone holding up a ticket, and see if it's where you want to sit and if it's in your price range. If they seem to want list price, ask if they'll take $10 less. The old "Oh, that's too bad; I really can't afford that much" strategy sometimes works wonders. I have literally seen people give extra tickets away under those circumstances. If the seller is offering a discount from the start, of course take it.

Whatever you do, don't deal with the scalpers. They're easy to recognize. There are always a couple working the outsides of the theaters and you'll hear them asking softly, "Any extra tickets?" They're trying to buy low and sell high, and it's illegal. Buy only from a private person who won't ask for more than face value.

I can't guarantee you'll get in (remember my name's not Klavier), but unless it's a hot sold-out event your chances are usually good. Last Saturday I wanted to see Nutcracker and didn't have a ticket on going into the city. Nothing at the box office except partial view. So I kept an eye on the scalper and saw a guy trying to sell, but he wouldn't take the $30 the scalper offered. Klavier moves in, asks if the man was selling, it's a family of tourists and one of the kids doesn't want to go, tourist asks $70 for a seat in center orchestra row R, and I get a $110 ticket for less than face value for 3rd Ring. Perfect.

(By the way, regarding the Sticky about tickets returned to the volunteer table: didn't work for me. Don't know if this practice has been discontinued, but the volunteer I spoke to had no clue about returned tickets.

Of course my ultimate fantasy is to wait by the stage door two hours before curtain and throw myself at Jenifer Ringer's feet, saying "Dear Jenifer, I so wanted to see you today but the show is sold out!" - at which she will reply, "Dearest Klavier, I just happen to have a wonderful house seat I can't possibly use myself, because I'm dancing! Won't you please take it as my gift?"

Well, it could happen.)

First of all, don't despair. You will get into that performance. I guarantee it, or my name's not Klavier.

(Well, actually my name is not Klavier, that's just my nom de poste. What parents would name their kid Klavier. But you get the picture.)

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately the only seats that showed up for sale were out of my price range, but my intrepid feet and I decided that we could deal with standing, and thus I got to see the show. And wow was Bouder fantastic!!

So thanks for giving me the encouragement to try it. I'm so glad I didn't miss out.