#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the link. I love the following story:

Those of us who attended her classes on the drafty upper floor of the old Armory building in the early '70s had to compete with the sporadic banging from the ROTC rifle range downstairs. The sound of target practice didn't faze Miss Boris, who simply shouted over the noise and whacked out the beat more insistently on her drum.

Occasionally, when things got really bad, she would strike back. Rather than demand the usual soft, quiet landings for our entrechats and jumps, Miss Boris with glee in her eye authorized revenge on the military. "Land hard," she would say. "Let them have it." And 50 strong young bodies would leap and leap with the resilience of pogo sticks, pounding our feet on the wooden floor until the rickety old building thundered and a stunned silence echoed in the room below.

Ah, the power of art! :)

#17 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

Many thanks, Violin Concerto.

If I'm not mistaken, the unidentified dancers in photo #2 are Tanaquil LeClerq as a young teen and Andre Eglevsky.

That photo is of 'Danses Concertantes' (Berman costumes) and it is from her Ballet Russe days--LeClercq was not a part of that Company and neither was Eglevsky at that time---the male dancer looks like Alexander Goudovich; female dancer, could be Elena Kramarr.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

I liked this quote:

Speaking of higher powers. In dire situations, Miss Boris would lift her eyes heavenward and invoke the Almighty. When she used the word "God," it was always immediately followed by a knowing look and the pronoun "She." That delighted us.

Delights me, too. :blink:

#19 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

I just got a link to a blog here

here it is in case that one didn't work:
http://xenba.blogspo...rima-donna.html

from a woman who also studied with Miss Boris. She includes the Sheila Farr article, but has two other photos. Another small piece added to the puzzle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):