This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Little Hunchbacked Horse

When was Little Hunchbacked Horse last performed by the Bolshoi? And was it ever performed by any other major company?

This doesn't qualify as a major company, but Kiev has an opera house specifically for children and young audiences, and its ballet company performs a version of the ballet reguarly. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you which version it is.

Many Russian companies perform one or another version of LHH but always to the Schedrin (not Pugni) score. For example, the Moussorgsky ("Maly") Theater Ballet of St. Petersburg regularly performs Igor Belsky's setting to the Schedrin score, usually at children's matinees. In Moscow, the Stanislavsky Theater Ballet often performs the version that used to be danced at the Bolshoi (the first version to the Schedrin score).

In Moscow, the Stanislavsky Theater Ballet often performs the version that used to be danced at the Bolshoi (the first version to the Schedrin score).

I'm guessing this is the version the Bolshoi would have taken on tour in the 70s?

In one of my huge inventory of :blink: decisions, I missed Maya P in this. It was about 1972, the Cold War was going on and the Bolshoi toured North America. But the closest they came to NY

was Montreal. So I went up to Montreal on a bus and did get to see Plisetskaya live and in person.

But I looked at the next night and thought LHH, why would I want to see that??????

Oh well, I was a poor student and really didn't have money for a hotel (we took cat naps in the cathedral).

But I still have the program which covered the whole engagement in Montreal.

A friend of mine attended a ballet high school/residency program in the USA (I'd prefer not to say which but those of you who know ballet will know which) and they performed the LHH as part of one of their programs at the end of year. Not exactly Bolshoi but anyway...