This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Ballet @ Kennedy Center

Dale

The casting is up on www.kennedy-center.org

Cinderella

February 21–23, 2007

Choreography by Yuri Possokhov

Music by Sergei Prokofiev

Led by Artistic Director Alexei Ratmansky, the Bolshoi returns for the first time since its two sold-out engagements in 2002 to present the U.S. premiere of Yuri Possokhov's Cinderella, with sets by Hans Dieter Schaal, on February 21–23, 2007. A whimsical re-telling of the classic story set to Prokofiev's vivid, witty, and lyrical score, the Moscow Times calls it "a gentle, dream-like retelling of the familiar fairy tale, with commendable choreography and an enlivening array of original twists and turns."

PRINCIPAL CASTING

Wed., Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Svetlana Zakharova and Sergey Filin

Thu., Feb. 22 at 7:30 p.m.

Ekaterina Shipulina and Dmitry Belogolovtsev

Fri., Feb. 23 at 7:30 p.m.

Anastasia Yatsenko and Dmitry Gudanov

Don Quixote

February 24 & 25, 2007

Choreography by Aleksey Fadeechev after Marius Petipa and Aleksandr Gorsky

Music by Ludwig Minkus

The Bolshoi will also perform Don Quixote (February 24 & 25, 2007), Petipa's charming Mediterranean retelling of Cervantes's tale of romance, chivalry, and bittersweet emotion. The production displays what the Bolshoi Ballet does best: "grandiose technical feats, juicy folk dancing, and a stage full of characters so vividly realized you feel you could sit and chat with them" (The Washington Post).

PRINCIPAL CASTING

Sat., Feb. 24 at 1:30 p.m.

Natalia Osipova and Denis Matvienko

Sat., Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m.

Maria Aleksandrova and Sergey Filin

Sun., Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m.

Ekaterina Shipulina and Dmitry Belogolovtsev

Sun., Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Svetlana Zakharova and Denis Matvienko

PROGRAM UPDATE (11/16/06): Cinderella was originally scheduled to be performed February 23–25 and Don Quixote was to be performed February 20–22.

What a wierd combination.

In an recent interview with Zakharova that volcanohunter translated on this thread, the dancer mentions that "Among her classmates, only Denis Matvienko, with whom she has danced when he has appeared as a guest with the Bolshoi, stuck with a ballet career." It sounds like they have an established partnership, if it is not either's main one.

What a wierd combination.

In an recent interview with Zakharova that volcanohunter translated on this thread, the dancer mentions that "Among her classmates, only Denis Matvienko, with whom she has danced when he has appeared as a guest with the Bolshoi, stuck with a ballet career." It sounds like they have an established partnership, if it is not either's main one.

Can't really speak about an "established partnership" (que? :thumbsup: ), yet the few times I saw them together (in Don Quixote) it worked OK. Why do you think it's "weird" Ostrich?

Interesting - thanks for the link, Helene. I had the impression (probably false) that Matvienko is on the short side and Zakharova tall, but maybe that's only an illusion created by Zakharova's long limbs and high extensions. However, i've never seen them together, so I am actually unqualified to judge.

The Bolshoi season is a month away & we already see significant cast changes, according to the KennCen website. GOOD NEWS - A 2nd DonQ by Osipova has been added...with none other than Ivan Vasiliev, the 17- (or 18?)-yr-old "boy wonder" as Basil. Vasiliev was originally not slated to be on this tour. Compared by many to the young Baryshnikov, this lad is not to be missed, IMO!!!! Also significant - 3rd-cast Cinderella is now the divine Krysanova, with ex-Kirov soloist Merkuriev. As things now stand:

Cinderella

PRINCIPAL CASTING

Wed., Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Svetlana Zakharova and Sergey Filin

Thu., Feb. 22 at 7:30 p.m.

Ekaterina Shipulina and Alexander Volchkov

Fri., Feb. 23 at 7:30 p.m.

Ekaterina Krysanova and Andrey Merkuryev

Don Quixote

PRINCIPAL CASTING

Sat., Feb. 24 at 1:30 p.m.

Natalia Osipova and Denis Matvienko

Sat., Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m.

Maria Aleksandrova and Sergey Filin

Sun., Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m.

Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev

Sun., Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m.

PROGRAM UPDATE (11/16/06): Cinderella was originally scheduled to be performed February 23–25 and Don Quixote was to be performed February 20–22.

The Bolshoi season is a month away & we already see significant cast changes, according to the KennCen website. GOOD NEWS - A 2nd DonQ by Osipova has been added...with none other than Ivan Vasiliev, the 17- (or 18?)-yr-old "boy wonder" as Basil. Vasiliev was originally not slated to be on this tour. Compared by many to the young Baryshnikov, this lad is not to be missed, IMO!!!!

Thanks for the update, Natalia.

I'd second that: forget the hype, but don't miss Osipova / Vasiliev.

I was browsing the Kennedy Center website earlier today, and I noticed that the casting for both “Cinderella” and “Don Q” has changed to the following:

CINDERELLA

Wednesday, Feb 21, 7:30 p.m.

Svetlana Zakharova – Andrey Merkuryev

Thursday, Feb 22, 7:30 p.m.

Ekaterina Shipulina – Aleksander Volchko

Friday, Feb 23, 7:30 p.m.

Ekaterina Krysanova – Andrey Merkuryev

DON Q

Saturday, Feb 24 mat , 1:30 p.m.

Natalia Osipova – Ivan Vasiliev

Saturday, Feb 24, 7:30 p.m.

Maria Aleksandrova – Denis Matvienko

Sunday, Feb 25 mat , 1:30 p.m.

Natalia Osipova – Ivan Vasiliev

Sunday, Feb 25, 7:30 p.m.

Svetlana Zakharova – Denis Matvienko

Honestly, I’m a little disappointed because I have tickets to the opening performances of both ballets and had hoped to see Sergey Filin in “Cinderella” (mainly because I’ve never seen him live, while I’ve seen Merkuryev dance plenty of times). But I suppose now I will get to see the “boy wonder” Vasiliev!

Three hours, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Carbro, I was thinking it might be even longer than 3 hrs

And thanks to ZB1 for the updated casting, I was also looking forward to seeing Filin but can't really complain about the chance to see Vasiliev twice...

By the way, for anyone who is going on Friday night it was noted on another thread that the Suzanne Farrell Ballet will be performing on the Millenium stage (free) at 6 pm on Fri 2/23

And thanks to ZB1 for the updated casting, I was also looking forward to seeing Filin but can't really complain about the chance to see Vasiliev twice...

By the way, for anyone who is going on Friday night it was noted on another thread that the Suzanne Farrell Ballet will be performing on the Millenium stage (free) at 6 pm on Fri 2/23

Thank you for the note about Suzanne Farell ballet. I am going on Friday (as well as Wednesday rehearsal & performace, and Sunday's matanee).

Ironically, Zaharova+Merkuriev=former Kirov's dancers with the Bolshoi's troupe ;-))

Sad that Filin is not coming (it's the second time he's not brought over here - same happened in summer 2005 in NYC)

Whoops, Hellen thank you for letting me know the policies.

I have just checked the Bolshoi's site & they announce another cast change - back to previuosly announced Cinderellas with FILIN (earlier their site said that he would not tour due to (either injury or sickness)...

No changes to Don Quixotte...

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/season/press-serv...ex.php?id26=591

sorry, i couldn't find the English version of the same announcement.

PS: The Kennedy site reflects the change - great cooperation between the two....

The playbill for last night's opener included casting details for the entire run of 'Cinderella' and 'Don Quixote.' Among the more interesting details:

Cinderella -

The 4 Season Fairies at all performances: Anastasia Stashkevich, Anastasia Kurkova, Natalia Osipova, Nelli Kobakhidze (most have already danced leading roles...and Osipova will essay two Kitris on the weekend)

Friends of Prince include men who dance many principal roles back home: Viacheslav Lopatin, Denis Medvedev, Alexander Voytyuk, Yuri Baranov

Don Q -

Espada & Street Dancer - *Andrei Merkuriev (THE Espada of our times, as I saw at Mariinsky!) and Anastasia Yatsenko

Gamache - Denis Savin (remember his Romeo in the modern version of R&J two yrs ago?)

Flower Girls - Anna Rebetskaya & Olga Stebletsova

Dryad Queen - Ekaterina Schipulina (as pointed out earlier, above)

First Bridesmaid Variation - Ekaterina Krysanova

Second Bridesmaid (this role alternates): either Chinara Alizade (new name!) at the two matinees or Nelli Kobakhidze at the two evening performances

Amour also alternates between Anastasia Stashkevich (Sat aft & Sun eve) and Anastasia Kurkova at the other 2 perfs.

The playbill for last night's opener included casting details for the entire run of 'Cinderella' and 'Don Quixote.' Among the more interesting details:.......Second Bridesmaid (this role alternates): either Chinara Alizade (new name!) at the two matinees or Nelli Kobakhidze at the two evening performances

Quick note. Chinara Alizade's name should not have been a surprise, as I reported on her winning the Gold Medal at the 2005 Moscow International Ballet Competition, Jr. Division, on this thread:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...topic=19766&hl=

Other now-Bolshoi dancers at that competition included Ivan Vasiliev (Jr men's Gold - then from Belarus but, one year later, moving to the Bolshoi in Moscow), Ekaterina Krysanova (Sr duet women's silver) and Natalia Osipova (Sr duet women's bronze medal...Obraztsova of the Kirov won the gold). Also at that competition, Lola Kochetkova -- one of the two stepsisters in 'Cinderella' this week in DC -- was both a competitor *and* choreographer.

Quick questions after viewing today's matinee w/Osipova & Vasiliev (who were spectacular, needless to say!):

Why don't the 2 flower girls in act one wear tights?

What's with the ratty point shoes & ribbons?--they look worn out and dirty, even Osipova's. The set's pretty tired, too. Money problems?

For all the incredible jumping, the dancers seemed not to make a sound! Is this b/c of Kennedy Center's acoustics or the dancers (i.e., worn-out point shoes are quieter)?