• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

The casting is up on www.kennedy-center.org

Cinderella
February 21–23, 2007
Choreography by Yuri Possokhov
Music by Sergei Prokofiev

Led by Artistic Director Alexei Ratmansky, the Bolshoi returns for the first time since its two sold-out engagements in 2002 to present the U.S. premiere of Yuri Possokhov's Cinderella, with sets by Hans Dieter Schaal, on February 21–23, 2007. A whimsical re-telling of the classic story set to Prokofiev's vivid, witty, and lyrical score, the Moscow Times calls it "a gentle, dream-like retelling of the familiar fairy tale, with commendable choreography and an enlivening array of original twists and turns."

PRINCIPAL CASTING
Wed., Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m.
Svetlana Zakharova and Sergey Filin
Thu., Feb. 22 at 7:30 p.m.
Ekaterina Shipulina and Dmitry Belogolovtsev
Fri., Feb. 23 at 7:30 p.m.
Anastasia Yatsenko and Dmitry Gudanov

Don Quixote
February 24 & 25, 2007
Choreography by Aleksey Fadeechev after Marius Petipa and Aleksandr Gorsky
Music by Ludwig Minkus

The Bolshoi will also perform Don Quixote (February 24 & 25, 2007), Petipa's charming Mediterranean retelling of Cervantes's tale of romance, chivalry, and bittersweet emotion. The production displays what the Bolshoi Ballet does best: "grandiose technical feats, juicy folk dancing, and a stage full of characters so vividly realized you feel you could sit and chat with them" (The Washington Post).

PRINCIPAL CASTING
Sat., Feb. 24 at 1:30 p.m.
Natalia Osipova and Denis Matvienko
Sat., Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m.
Maria Aleksandrova and Sergey Filin
Sun., Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m.
Ekaterina Shipulina and Dmitry Belogolovtsev
Sun., Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m.
Svetlana Zakharova and Denis Matvienko

PROGRAM UPDATE (11/16/06): Cinderella was originally scheduled to be performed February 23–25 and Don Quixote was to be performed February 20–22.

#2 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

What a wierd combination.

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

In an recent interview with Zakharova that volcanohunter translated on this thread, the dancer mentions that "Among her classmates, only Denis Matvienko, with whom she has danced when he has appeared as a guest with the Bolshoi, stuck with a ballet career." It sounds like they have an established partnership, if it is not either's main one.

#4 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

In an recent interview with Zakharova that volcanohunter translated on this thread, the dancer mentions that "Among her classmates, only Denis Matvienko, with whom she has danced when he has appeared as a guest with the Bolshoi, stuck with a ballet career." It sounds like they have an established partnership, if it is not either's main one.

Can't really speak about an "established partnership" (que? :thumbsup: ), yet the few times I saw them together (in Don Quixote) it worked OK. Why do you think it's "weird" Ostrich?

#5 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

Interesting - thanks for the link, Helene. I had the impression (probably false) that Matvienko is on the short side and Zakharova tall, but maybe that's only an illusion created by Zakharova's long limbs and high extensions. However, i've never seen them together, so I am actually unqualified to judge.

#6 Bill

Bill

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:16 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing this Cinderella and comparing it to the Ratmansky version that the Kirov danced at the Kennedy Center in 2005. A good brief discussion/preview is on a recent Ballet Talk thread for ABT.

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

The Bolshoi season is a month away & we already see significant cast changes, according to the KennCen website. GOOD NEWS - A 2nd DonQ by Osipova has been added...with none other than Ivan Vasiliev, the 17- (or 18?)-yr-old "boy wonder" as Basil. Vasiliev was originally not slated to be on this tour. Compared by many to the young Baryshnikov, this lad is not to be missed, IMO!!!! Also significant - 3rd-cast Cinderella is now the divine Krysanova, with ex-Kirov soloist Merkuriev. As things now stand:

Cinderella

PRINCIPAL CASTING
Wed., Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m.
Svetlana Zakharova and Sergey Filin
Thu., Feb. 22 at 7:30 p.m.
Ekaterina Shipulina and Alexander Volchkov
Fri., Feb. 23 at 7:30 p.m.
Ekaterina Krysanova and Andrey Merkuryev

Don Quixote
PRINCIPAL CASTING
Sat., Feb. 24 at 1:30 p.m.
Natalia Osipova and Denis Matvienko
Sat., Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m.
Maria Aleksandrova and Sergey Filin
Sun., Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m.
Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev
Sun., Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m.

PROGRAM UPDATE (11/16/06): Cinderella was originally scheduled to be performed February 23–25 and Don Quixote was to be performed February 20–22.

#8 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

The Bolshoi season is a month away & we already see significant cast changes, according to the KennCen website. GOOD NEWS - A 2nd DonQ by Osipova has been added...with none other than Ivan Vasiliev, the 17- (or 18?)-yr-old "boy wonder" as Basil. Vasiliev was originally not slated to be on this tour. Compared by many to the young Baryshnikov, this lad is not to be missed, IMO!!!!

Thanks for the update, Natalia.
I'd second that: forget the hype, but don't miss Osipova / Vasiliev.

#9 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone remember how long the Bolshoi's DQ is? I should know - I've seen it often enough - but I don't really remember and I'm trying to figure out which train or bus I can catch back to NY after the Sunday matinee

Susan

#10 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

Three hours, if I recall correctly.

#11 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

For those fortunate enough to have tickets for the latest "partnership of the century", here are photos of the Osipova/Vasiliev Don Q:
http://www.for-balle...asiliev_th.html
click to enlarge

#12 ZB1

ZB1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

I was browsing the Kennedy Center website earlier today, and I noticed that the casting for both “Cinderella” and “Don Q” has changed to the following:

CINDERELLA
Wednesday, Feb 21, 7:30 p.m.
Svetlana Zakharova – Andrey Merkuryev
Thursday, Feb 22, 7:30 p.m.
Ekaterina Shipulina – Aleksander Volchko
Friday, Feb 23, 7:30 p.m.
Ekaterina Krysanova – Andrey Merkuryev

DON Q
Saturday, Feb 24 mat , 1:30 p.m.
Natalia Osipova – Ivan Vasiliev
Saturday, Feb 24, 7:30 p.m.
Maria Aleksandrova – Denis Matvienko
Sunday, Feb 25 mat , 1:30 p.m.
Natalia Osipova – Ivan Vasiliev
Sunday, Feb 25, 7:30 p.m.
Svetlana Zakharova – Denis Matvienko

Honestly, I’m a little disappointed because I have tickets to the opening performances of both ballets and had hoped to see Sergey Filin in “Cinderella” (mainly because I’ve never seen him live, while I’ve seen Merkuryev dance plenty of times). But I suppose now I will get to see the “boy wonder” Vasiliev!

#13 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

Three hours, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Carbro, I was thinking it might be even longer than 3 hrs

And thanks to ZB1 for the updated casting, I was also looking forward to seeing Filin but can't really complain about the chance to see Vasiliev twice...

By the way, for anyone who is going on Friday night it was noted on another thread that the Suzanne Farrell Ballet will be performing on the Millenium stage (free) at 6 pm on Fri 2/23

#14 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

And thanks to ZB1 for the updated casting, I was also looking forward to seeing Filin but can't really complain about the chance to see Vasiliev twice...

By the way, for anyone who is going on Friday night it was noted on another thread that the Suzanne Farrell Ballet will be performing on the Millenium stage (free) at 6 pm on Fri 2/23

Thank you for the note about Suzanne Farell ballet. I am going on Friday (as well as Wednesday rehearsal & performace, and Sunday's matanee).
Ironically, Zaharova+Merkuriev=former Kirov's dancers with the Bolshoi's troupe ;-))
Sad that Filin is not coming (it's the second time he's not brought over here - same happened in summer 2005 in NYC)

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

[ADMIN BEANIE ON]

Just a reminder that links and references to You Tube on Ballet Talk are verboten.

[ADMIN BEANIE OFF]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):