This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I guess there was no way to list all of the performers in Act I, but it would be nice to know for the future, in case any of the dancers that we saw makes the big time!
Is anyone able to tell us the names of the competition medallists?
I find it a bit disconcerting that a gala which is half dedicated to Stars of Tomorrow did not make it clear as to who those stars are....

The results would have been nice as well, but at least let the audience know who these youngsters are!

If I remember correctly, last year, the list of performers and their selections went up on the YAGP website a while (like, over a week?) after the gala.

Patience!

And thanks to all for your reviews!

Thanks,

Have been checking that page from time to time since the announcement would have been made yesterday...we're interested in the NYC finals results.

m2

While waiting for the new winners to be listed, I looked through the list of prior winners. The 2002 Women's Gold winner is now a Prima Ballerina! She is Maria Abashova, the reigning star of the Eifman Ballet. Not just a name-alike, I checked that company's dancer bios, and they list her win, the same year that she entered the company.

But what I assume was the men's winner came next to last. The youth-filled audience began screaming as his intro started and they were right. I don't think any of ABT's men could approach some of his tricks; the only man I could imagine duplicating his feats would be Ivan Vasiliev.

Was this young man Jim Nowakowski from Rochester City Ballet? He is a fantastic performer and a very nice person who truly deserved the accolades he received.

Abrera & Radetsky did not appear/perform, even tho' i heard no program change announced nor see any program copy noting the change to the second act's selections.

Was this young man Jim Nowakowski from Rochester City Ballet? He is a fantastic performer and a very nice person who truly deserved the accolades he received.

With the MC garbling a multisyllable name and his voice being covered by hysterical screams and cheers...

So I googled that name and found articles including photos. That's the guy!

I have to agree about the pronunciation of names by Desmond R. He was a charming host, very relaxed & positive. As he'd danced the night before in Toronto, he hadn't time to ask each dancer how to pronounce his/her name so YAGP should have prepared a phonetically correct list of names for him.

I also agree wholeheartedly that YAGP needs to figure out how to keep the kids upstairs from being quite so enthusiastic. They not only drowned out Richardson but also annoyed many of us with their screaming for "tricks" & seemingly not appreciating the more artistic entries.

As for the persistent flashes, the audience needs to be told that their cameras will be confiscated or they will be shown the door. It was more than just "rude & dangerous", it was downright infuriating to those of us who know proper audience etiquette.

All the awards are now posted:

http://www.yagp.org/eng/nyc07.asp

Complete with errors:

Top 12 Sr Women and Mary Day Award are listed as

Kirsten Wicklund, (16) International School of Classical Ballet, Washington/USA

But she is in the San Francisco regionals 2nd Place as

Kirsten Wicklund, (16) Goh Ballet Academy (Vancouver, Canada)

The regionals are right, she's a Goh girl.

May I add a few things. Sorry if it has already been said

Abrera and Radetsky did not perform

Orlando Ballet School performed and were announced as outstanding school 2007 which is incorrect they were outstanding school 2006. The outstanding school 2007 was named as The Rock School. This performance at the Gala by Orlando Ballet School was unfortunately less than outstanding.

The Solos were performed by the pre competitve winner

Paulina Guraieb Sbella, (10) Fomento Artistico Cordobes, Mexico

EDITED TO ADD a very small and very dinamic Japanese boy who was the Jr 1st place winner

Tomoha Terada, (12) Tanaka Ballet Art, Japan

We also saw The Junior Grand Prix winner

Kiril Kulish, (12) San Diego Academy of Ballet, California/USA

(la Corsaire)

Contemporary dance prize winner (for whom at the awards there was no "prize" given to her) they actually called her up on stage said "we actually have nothing to give you so just stand there and have your moment" the contemporary dance prize has been awarded at several competition shame she will return to South Africa without even a certificate to show for her hard work. :blink:

Camille Bracher, (15) Ballet Theatre Afrikan, South Africa

and Outstanding European dancer

Telmo Higino Gomes Moreira, (15) Escola de Danca do Conservatorio Nacional, Portugal

both did their contemporary solos

We also saw a young lady from the Rock School do her Contemporary I think she was

Kristie Latham, (16) The Rock School for Dance Education, Pennsylvania/USA but I was not sure where that fit in since there were still winners that did not perform.

MAY I ALSO ADD THAT WE SAW

Ryan Steele, (16) Dance Dynamics Performing Arts Center, Michigan/USA

he danced a contemporary piece by Carlos Dos Santos Jr

Womens Junior 1st place winner

Megumi Horiuchi, (14) Kaneta Kouno Ballet Academy, Japan

Harlequinade

Womens Senior 3rd place winner

Aurora Dickie, (18) Pavilhàod – Centro De Artes, Brazil

Don Q

Mens 2nd place (tie) winner I believe the website is incorrect he tied for 2nd not third.

Young Gyu Choi, (16) Tanz Akademie Zurich Taz, Switzerland

La Syllphide (in my opinion of the standout performances of the competition.)

We saw Witney Jenson and Reyes Reyneris perform the pas de deuz from the Pharoh's Daughter

There participated in the pas de deux competition (him as a non competing partner) but did not place.

The young man who did the Acteons solo from Diana and Acteon was the first place mens winner was indeed

Jim Nowakowski, (17) The Timothy M. Draper Center for Dance Education, New York/USA

Diana in Acteon

Jim and his partner also won the pas de deux competition. Outstanding everytime he sets foot on the stage.

Then we saw the Senior Grand Prix Winner

Melissa Hamilton, (18) Greece

La Bayadere

Excuse me I do not have them in correct order but 2 large ensemble groups also performed one was

Dance World made in Takane, Japan, "Ballad - Deep in My Heart" (that placed in second) their peice involve spinning chairs.

and

Formento Artistico Cordobes, Mexico, "Muy Dentro De La Tierra" the First place large ensembel winner

very large group of nymphs which sent the Mexican contingent in the audience wild.

Hope this helps.

The second act in my opinion is the best $150 I have spent in a while. It was inspiring and a wonderful opportunity to see some dancers I may never have the chance to see again in my lifetime.

When mentioning Marianela Nunoz's pirouettes which were eye popping I would like to add that their artistry and port de bras held just as much impact as her amazing fouettes. And their partnering was so smooth and elegant it really was artistry partnered with brilliance.

Memo

Edited by Memo

Memo,

Did the Honorary Grand Prix winner, Miles Pertl, perform at the Gala? He's a tall, thin, very talented 16 year old. We are delighted he did so well at the competition his first time out.

No he did not but he won a scholarship to JKO and I speculate that they want him there till the contract begins in Sept with Studio Company. He was quite a stand out with his height and his beautiful feet but was not the strongest dancer in the competition. ABT seems to be really going after the very tall boys at the moment and also took a very tall boy from RBS this year. They look for potential and he definitely has it.

correction: The young girl from the Rock school who did her contemporary in the gala was Sara Michelle Murawski. She was a top 12 senior, and it seems that they consider the entire top 12 group to be the 'winners.'

We also saw a young lady from the Rock School do her Contemporary I think she was

Kristie Latham, (16) The Rock School for Dance Education, Pennsylvania/USA but I was not sure where that fit in since there were still winners that did not perform.

If I may be permitted....

For those long-time YAGP participants who remember Boris Shapiro when he gave the welcoming speeches at the beginning of the regional awards ceremonies, "EVERYONE is a winner."

That sentiment is certainly appreciated- I was merely making a direct and specific reply to the comment that was made about the issue of the gala performers. The post had stated that there was not enough room for all of the "winners" to perform, which clearly implied that the dancers from top 12 were not all winners. The person writing the original post likely did not intend it this way, but the post itself simply implies that only the top 3 would be the "winners." The question raised was about how it was possible for someone in the top 12 to perform in gala if all dancers from the top 3 in every category was not able to perform. The post I left was merely to say that it appears that yagp labeled the "winners" as those in top 12. Afterall, some use of labels seems logical, particularly since it was a "competition." So I hope that my reply to that specific aspect of the post did not start the process of changing the topic to semantics and/or the use of the word "winner," as I did not mean to lead into this topic at all.

It our shared sentiment and loyalty about all dancers which allows use to view them as all being the winners in our minds, if not in ceremony.

I hope this clarifies my reply to that post.

Of course, getting up on a stage in NYC and doing a solo takes a lot of nerve for any youth to execute; so they are all amazing winners. The dancers this year were talented and extraordinary beyond anything I have ever seen from amateurs anywhere.

If I may be permitted....

For those long-time YAGP participants who remember Boris Shapiro when he gave the welcoming speeches at the beginning of the regional awards ceremonies, "EVERYONE is a winner."

correction: The young girl from the Rock school who did her contemporary in the gala was Sara Michelle Murawski. She was a top 12 senior, and it seems that they consider the entire top 12 group to be the 'winners.'

I stand corrected. I was not sure about that one. Thanks.

The person writing the original post likely did not intend it this way, but the post itself simply implies that only the top 3 would be the "winners." The question raised was about how it was possible for someone in the top 12 to perform in gala if all dancers from the top 3 in every category was not able to perform. The post I left was merely to say that it appears that yagp labeled the "winners" as those in top 12. Afterall, some use of labels seems logical, particularly since it was a "competition." So I hope that my reply to that specific aspect of the post did not start the process of changing the topic to semantics and/or the use of the word "winner," as I did not mean to lead into this topic at all.

It our shared sentiment and loyalty about all dancers which allows use to view them as all being the winners in our minds, if not in ceremony.

Well if you are refering to my post. I was trying to report and who I saw, what they danced and a bit of editorial comment on my opinion on the performances all in one. I think there were people at the gala who had not sat at the competition with a program and was trying to make it easier for them to figure out who was who.

I felt that the young ladies contemporary was not anything out of the ordinary and seemed out of place in the line up. I felt the same way about Whitney Jenson and her partner doing the pas de deux I would like to have seen the first or second place pas de deux winners which I did not see at the competition. I heard that they were really excellent.

I have seen Larissa put up pieces that did not even make the final round that were interesting and different and worked really well. Obviously Larissa thought differently and it is her show. She always does an awesome job I just felt it was out of place in the line-up.

In one breath, you're calling them all winnners; in the next, you are putting down the girl from the Rock who did her contemporary. Whatever. She was beautiful. And I am sure Larissa put her there for exactly that reason. Please refrain from such comments about a child who dances in such an amazing event. It took a lot of bravery for any of them up there. If you don't have something nice to say about someone, then talk about someone else about whom you have something nice to say.

The person writing the original post likely did not intend it this way, but the post itself simply implies that only the top 3 would be the "winners." The question raised was about how it was possible for someone in the top 12 to perform in gala if all dancers from the top 3 in every category was not able to perform. The post I left was merely to say that it appears that yagp labeled the "winners" as those in top 12. Afterall, some use of labels seems logical, particularly since it was a "competition." So I hope that my reply to that specific aspect of the post did not start the process of changing the topic to semantics and/or the use of the word "winner," as I did not mean to lead into this topic at all.

Well if you are refering to my post. I was trying to report and who I saw, what they danced and a bit of editorial comment on my opinion on the performances all in one. I think there were people at the gala who had not sat at the competition with a program and was trying to make it easier for them to figure out who was who.

I felt that the young ladies contemporary was not anything out of the ordinary and seemed out of place in the line up. I felt the same way about Whitney Jenson and her partner doing the pas de deux I would like to have seen the first or second place pas de deux winners which I did not see at the competition. I heard that they were really excellent.

I have seen Larissa put up pieces that did not even make the final round that were interesting and different and worked really well. Obviously Larissa thought differently and it is her show. She always does an awesome job I just felt it was out of place in the line-up.

one last note, it was not all about flash and tricks. Larissa seemed to pick some pieces for the purity and beaity and some for the flash. So please appreciate the variety. That contemporary piece was certainly worthy of appreciation for its purity and beauty. This is true art. The same dancer did a tricky classical, in the sense that it required lots of piourettes and she executed them very, very well! So, you have to know the artistry aspect of dance in order to also appreciate pieces that are artistic and pure. The piece deserved to be in the line up very much.

Thank you all for your reports. I sense we might have some people posting who are close to the participants or the events. Remember, this board is to discuss ballet performances. That means we're going to get positive and negative posts (all expressed in a polite fashion). Yes, some of the performances here were by young people. We should be careful on how we treat that. However, Yagp chose to put them on stage in a public performance (at very high prices, I might add). If there are moms and dads and friends out there who might be sensitive to this thread, I suggest avoiding it. Thank you.

If anyone finds a post that they believe does not meet Ballet Talk's Rules and Policies, please click the "Report!" button at the bottom left of each post, and the Moderating team will review the post.

Please remember that our policy is,

"While we ask you to keep in mind that the objects of your criticism and their fans may very well read the site, as long as the post follows our Courtesy Policy, your opinions may be expressed on the board. No one need apologize for or justify courteous, well-reasoned criticism. You may disagree with the content, but please don't criticize the act of criticism."

and if you find that this will be hurtful, Dale has given great advice.

cierra19 - I just want to make a comment because you are new to the boards. Memo was just trying to give all of us who could not be there at YAGP this year some information about the YAGP Gala. If you will look at Memo's posts in the past, you will realize that she is not only a ballet teacher, but has a very talented son in the ballet world. She is very sensitive to the fact that many of us are the parents of children involved at YAGP or who have been involved at YAGP. She is one of the opinions we respect here on BT. I know that she means no harm to anyone and she is just stating an opinion. She has a high regard for YAGP, Larissa and other dancers.

So, welcome to BT. You should take some time and look around. You'll get to know the people here and you'll know that most of the members here are just looking for a place for information, for help, to share their love of ballet, and to have a safe dialogue about ballet issues.