This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov-Mariinsky at Kennedy Center / Jan 2007

The following casting information has appeared at the Kennedy Center website:

Jan. 16, 7:30 pm - Juliet: Evgenya Obraztsova Romeo: Andrian Fadayev

Jan. 17, 7:30 pm - Juliet: Olesya Novikova Romeo: Igor Kolb

Jan. 18, 7:30 pm - Juliet: Irina Golub Romeo: Anton Korsakov

Jan. 19, 7:30 pm - Juliet: Maya Dumchenko Romeo: Mikhail Lobukhin

Jan. 20, 1:30 pm - Juliet: Olesya Novikova Romeo: Vladimir Shklyarov

Jan. 20, 7:30 pm - Juliet: Evgenya Obraztsova Romeo: Andrian Fadayev

Jan. 21, 1:30 pm - Juliet: Irina Golub Romeo: Anton Korsakov

Do any of these casts stand out particularly to anyone?

I don't see any mention of any Performance Plus events--does anyone know if there are any?

Thanks, koshka. No doubt -- Obraztsova & Fadeev all the way, although there's much to admire in the other pairings. I'll eat my hat if Dumchenko shows up for her one performance, as she rarely tours; it seems odd that she would travel so far for only one show. It would be a rare delight to see her in the USA. Shklyarov debuts the role of Romeo at the Saturday matinee. He's the tall, young dancer who essayed 'Peasant pdd' in every Giselle at the Kennedy Center, last season.

It would definitely be Obraztsova/Fadeyev for me too. Evgenia Obraztsova is absolutely perfect for the part of Juliet - she is small, but she projects and she can truly act. Besides, she's made this role her own over the past few years. Among the current crop of young dancers at the Kirov, she would be my pick.

It is a debut for Olesya Novikova so it might not be as polished, but I'm sure she'll do well, and Igor Kolb is a wonderful dancer. Then there's Maya Dumchenko, of course, apparently with the risk she might not show up...

From the Kennedy Center website, quite a few changes to principal casting. Good news: Dumchenko definitely 'in' - not once but twice! Not-so-good: Golub is now out. Fadeev now dancing only the opening night with Obraztsova, whose 2nd performance (now with Kolb) shifts to the Sunday matinee, rather than Saturday night. My heart goes out to Novikova & Dumchenko, each of whom will now be dancing the taxing role of Juliet on back-to-back nights (Novikova on Wed/Thurs; Dumchenko on Fri/Sat)! At least Obraztsova gets four nights of rest between her two performances.

REVISED PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change):

Tue., Jan. 16 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Evgenia Obraztsova; ROMEO: Andrian Fadayev

Wed., Jan. 17 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Olesya Novikova; ROMEO: Igor Kolb

Thu., Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Olesya Novikova; ROMEO: Anton Korsakov

Fri., Jan. 19 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Maya Dumchenko; ROMEO: Mikhail Lobukhin

Sat., Jan. 20 at 1:30 p.m. – JULIET: Olesya Novikova; ROMEO: Vladimir Shklyarov

Sat., Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Maya Dumchenko; ROMEO: Anton Korsakov

Sun., Jan. 21 at 1:30 p.m. – JULIET: Evgenia Obratzsova; ROMEO: Igor Kolb

From the Kennedy Center website, quite a few changes to principal casting. Good news: Dumchenko definitely 'in' - not once but twice! Not-so-good: Golub is now out. Fadeev now dancing only the opening night with Obraztsova, whose 2nd performance (now with Kolb) shifts to the Sunday matinee, rather than Saturday night. My heart goes out to Novikova & Dumchenko, each of whom will now be dancing the taxing role of Juliet on back-to-back nights (Novikova on Wed/Thurs; Dumchenko on Fri/Sat)! At least Obraztsova gets four nights of rest between her two performances.

REVISED PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change):

Tue., Jan. 16 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Evgenia Obraztsova; ROMEO: Andrian Fadayev

Wed., Jan. 17 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Olesya Novikova; ROMEO: Igor Kolb

Thu., Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Olesya Novikova; ROMEO: Anton Korsakov

Fri., Jan. 19 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Maya Dumchenko; ROMEO: Mikhail Lobukhin

Sat., Jan. 20 at 1:30 p.m. – JULIET: Olesya Novikova; ROMEO: Vladimir Shklyarov

Sat., Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. – JULIET: Maya Dumchenko; ROMEO: Anton Korsakov

Sun., Jan. 21 at 1:30 p.m. – JULIET: Evgenia Obratzsova; ROMEO: Igor Kolb

Wow! What a feast - provided it happens of course :dry:. Obraztsova and Dumchenko are definitely the Juliets to see. (Is it now a crime to dance with the same partner twice at the Mariinsky?)