• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

I prepare the traditional Italian fish dinner every Christmas eve---7 kinds of fish; one for each of the sacraments...let's see---this year it was Calamari, Shrimp, Mussels, Clams, Octopus, Crabs, and Scungilli (Conch, to most people).......all the family comes and I usually collapse on Christmas Day----

what, no baccala??????

#17 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

I'd never heard that the seven kinds of fish were in honor of the seven sacraments, but my Catholic upbringing was in many ways deficient. I never even made my first communion till after World War II, when my older brother returned from the army. As far as I remember, there was no set number of fish, but "lu baccalaru," to give it the pronunciation of Camporeale, the town near Palermo where my progenitors were from, was definitely regarded as the highlight. My mother and grandmother cooked all the other fish including the disgusting-looking lu purpu (squid, I think), but my grandfather, who otherwise rarely stirred from his cot, reserved to himself the privilege of preparing lu baccalaru. My mother and grandmother viewed this unaccustomed activity on his part with suspicion, and therefore told me that it was too rich for my delicately youthful stomach and I didn't have to eat it. I didn't and haven't, to this day.

I'm very impressed, atm711, that you're still keeping those culinary traditions alive.

#18 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:35 AM

what, no baccala??????

no---too smelly

#19 dave23

dave23

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:27 AM

I had never heard of the Feast of the seven fishes before.
Sounds like something I'll have to try, if only to do something different from the traditional christmas ham.

Makes sense that the seven fishes represents the seven sacraments if it's Vigilia di Natale.

Me, I wasn't with my family for once ands thus in charge of my own food.
Ended up having champagne & foie gras followed by a chateaubriand and some cheese, snacks and wine.

Not very christmasy, but nice.

Best of all, not having to see the 3 o'clock Donald Duck! Horrible, horrible Swedish tradition. Every year you have to watch the same compilation of Disney cartoons. 30 years of Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse on vacation. 30 years of Ferdinand under his corktree. No more, please!

#20 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

what, no baccala??????

no---too smelly

My cousin emailed me Christmas Eve and I said I really had no intention of ever eating baccala again (unless the strong taste and smell is covered up. :yucky:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):