This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Experience the excitement of the Metropolitan Opera Saturday Matinees-live in HD on the big screen! The world premiere broadcast of Chinese composer Tan Dun's epic opera, "The First Emperor", features legendary tenor Placido Domingo as Emperor Qin, who founded an empire that would survive for 2,000 years. Tan Dun's music is a fascinating mix of East and West and the monumental production is by revered Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou with costumes by designer Emi Wada."

Since this is apparently sold out what a great way to see it. How about doing this with ballet too!

I saw a preview of this at Tyson's Corner, VA AMC theatre when I went to see a movie last week. What

a fantastic idea. :wub:

The Metropolitan Opera website explains that the broadcasts are being shown at theaters equipped with HDTV:

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/bro.../hd_events.aspx

I'm not sure how common these theaters are, or what the demand is apart from the Met. With a start time of 10:30 am Pacific Time, a three-hour live opera including intermissions cuts right into the noon schedule. Although most noonish showings are cut-rate, and the Met broadcasts are $18.

I've always had a secret hankering to seeing ballet on the big screen - preferably in slow motion!

I'll never forget seeing Ananiashvili on the HUGE IMAX screen in To The Limit.

"Experience the excitement of the Metropolitan Opera Saturday Matinees-live in HD on the big screen! The world premiere broadcast of Chinese composer Tan Dun's epic opera, "The First Emperor", features legendary tenor Placido Domingo as Emperor Qin, who founded an empire that would survive for 2,000 years. Tan Dun's music is a fascinating mix of East and West and the monumental production is by revered Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou with costumes by designer Emi Wada."

Since this is apparently sold out what a great way to see it. How about doing this with ballet too!

I saw a preview of this at Tyson's Corner, VA AMC theatre when I went to see a movie last week. What

a fantastic idea. :angel_not:

Thanks very much for posting. I wish the project the best but I’m not sure how widespread these broadcasts will eventually be. Fingers crossed. :)

We appear to have two parallel threads going on the general topic of the Met transmissions. The other is on the Schaffaus/Makarova thread. You have to scroll down a bit to the point at which the topic morphs into this one. http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...=0entry194529

Here's a schedule of the performances for this (the first) year.:

Yes. There will be 6 live Saturday matinee performances (1:30 pm) transmitted from Lincoln Center dircectly to movie houses in the US, Canada, and the UK. The schedule is as follows:

-- Magic Flute -- Dec. 30 (abridged, one-act, family-friendly version of the Taymor productiion, in English)

-- I Puritani -- Jan 6 -- with Netrebko

-- The First Emperor -- Jan. 13. with Domingo, Futral

-- Eugene Onegin -- Feb. 24 -- with Fleming, Hvorostovskky, Vargas -- conducted by Gergiev

-- Barber of Seville -- March 24 -- with DiDonato, Florez

-- Il Trittico, April 28 -- Il Tabarro (Guleghina, LIcitra, Pons), Suor Angelica (Frittoli, Murphy, Blythe; Gianni Schicchi (Mykytenko, Giordano, Corbelli)

We have our tickets for the January 13 broadcast of "The First Emperor" which opened a couple of days ago at the Met to decidedly mixed reviews--Tomassini was disappointed, Halterhoff found more to dislike than like--and are looking forward top seeing it for a number of reasons.

--The broadcasts may actually work, both by bringing enough revenue for the Met to continue broadcasts and the cinema chains to book them although we don't know who is paying for what;

--High definition pictures and surround sound music seems like an excellent way to experience opera second hand;

--It will be a chance to hear and see (instead of just hear) "The First Emperor";

--We are fans of the movie music of Tan Dun and I really enjoy the novels of Ha Jin.

Note: The list of participating theaters (click on the appropriate country under "Locations and Tickets") is organized, at least for the United States, alphabetically by state but the alphabetization isn't as rigorous as it could be--it took me a couple of tries to find the two theaters nearest to us here in Motown, for example. The online ticket purchasing system--the one I used, there seem to be at least two--is pretty clunky but not completely unfriendly.

More info at http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/bro.../hd_events.aspx

Note: The list of participating theaters (click on the appropriate country under "Locations and Tickets") is organized, at least for the United States, alphabetically by state but the alphabetization isn't as rigorous as it could be--it took me a couple of tries to find the two theaters nearest to us here in Motown, for example. The online ticket purchasing system--the one I used, there seem to be at least two--is pretty clunky but not completely unfriendly.

I clicked US under Locations and Tickets, but can't find a screen that lets me scroll through a list of venues -- what magic did you perform?

I clicked US under Locations and Tickets, but can't find a screen that lets me scroll through a list of venues -- what magic did you perform?

Try clicking on a particular opera after you've clicked on Locations and Tickets. You will then see one

opera only on the screen. There is a link for "theater locations" but I would skip that, it's only a list.

Up at the top is "buy tickets" and you can search by zip and also purchase.

It seems to me like a lot of screens to have to go to, but maybe I'm just thinking that because it's new to me.