This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

POB annual competition results

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

This process of the POB has always remained a mystery to me. If is an entirely honest,unprejudiced and independent process, it doesn't seem such a bad way of elevating dancers from the ranks.

No doubt it was designed to eliminate favouritism, though no system can ever be perfect.

#17 Azulynn

Azulynn

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

I pretty much agree with everything Cygneblanc said. Thanks to her for summing it up.

I just wanted to add that I think Ms. Pagliero did not steal her promotion IMO, even though she was not the best dancer of the competition last week. She's a strong, beautiful dancer and did a nice Esmeralda, as stated - besides, I think it says a lot that she is now recognized, while those who didn't come out of the POB school usually struggle to be promoted and even to be considered, no matter how good they are. She will be just fine at the "coryphée" level, I think, after years of being a quadrille. That her and Sara Kora Dayanova (also previously a "surnuméraire") have been promoted this year is a fine way to recognize how much they add to the company, even if they're not meant to be future étoiles.
Ms. Dayanova's Shadow from Les Mirages, by the way, was extremely moving. There's a sense of perfect classicism about her dancing, a taste and sensitivity that make her the very example of the POB style IMO.

I agree with you, obviously (who didn't ?) : Eléonore Guérineau is a gorgeous dancer and was way above everyone else. What she does at such a young age is absolutely mesmerizing - not only is she technically perfect, but she is very feminine (which is not that common at the POB). Her lines just flow... I can't wait to see how she grows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):