This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

to the best of my knowledge this telecast was not put on the commercial market.

it was shown in the US as well as in the UK, the dance coll. of NYPL seems to have the UK version - i don't recall the j.drummond intro on the US telecast, but i could be forgetting it.

La sylphide / a BBC2-TV presentation in association with Landseer Productions, London and R.M. Productions, Munich ; directed by Derek Bailey ; choreography by Peter Schaufuss after August Bournonville ; music by Hermann Lowenskjold.

U.K. : BBC TV, 1980. (107 min.) : sd., col.

Taped in performance at the London Coliseum.

Scenery and costumes, David Walker ; lighting, John B. Read.

Performed by the London Festival Ballet.

Peter Schaufuss (James), Eva Evdokimova (the Sylph), Nicholas Johnson (Gurn), Niels Bjorn Larsen (Madge), Margot Clarke (Effie), Valerie Aitken (Mother), Andria Hall (leading Sylph).

Introductions by John Drummond.

it was shown in the US as well as in the UK, the dance coll. of NYPL seems to have the UK version - i don't recall the j.drummond intro on the US telecast, but i could be forgetting it.

La sylphide / a BBC2-TV presentation in association with Landseer Productions, London and R.M. Productions, Munich ; directed by Derek Bailey ; choreography by Peter Schaufuss after August Bournonville ; music by Hermann Lowenskjold.

U.K. : BBC TV, 1980. (107 min.) : sd., col.

Taped in performance at the London Coliseum.

Scenery and costumes, David Walker ; lighting, John B. Read.

Performed by the London Festival Ballet.

Peter Schaufuss (James), Eva Evdokimova (the Sylph), Nicholas Johnson (Gurn), Niels Bjorn Larsen (Madge), Margot Clarke (Effie), Valerie Aitken (Mother), Andria Hall (leading Sylph).

Introductions by John Drummond.

My almost unwatchable VHS copy has an interview/discussion with Schaufuss between the two acts. I'm not sure if it's Drummond there or not. I'm missing the first few minutes so I don't have the intros.

The thing is really terrible to watch , I really need to throw it out so that

I don't make myself crazy about thinking I can successfully watch it.

What a pity. I remember that clips of the telecast were used in Schaufuss' "Dancer" series, which isn't available either. I've also seen a very grainy pirate of the entire performance, though without the interview richard53dog mentioned. What I have seen makes me long for a commercial release. Evdokimova's romantic style is exquisite, Schaufuss' virtuosity indisputable and the artistry of Larsen is a potent argument for retaining mime. I wonder what it would take to convince the BBC to pull this stuff out of its vaults.