This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Nutcracker is Coming

BigToe

Hello,

OBT will open this season's Nutcracker on Friday the 8th and close on the 24th. The Oregonian ran an interview with some of the veteran dancers on Sunday. It offers some interesting insights on dancing the Nut. This will be the fourth year that OBT has performed George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, I hope everyone has a chance to see at least one performace. I can't wait to see it again this year.

Merry Christmas,

BigToe

Thanks, BigToe! I'll look for your report -- and that of anyone else who attends. (Hint. :( )

There's no direct URL, but if you go to OBT.org, and click on Performances, there's a link to casting and note that casts are announced two days prior to performance.

Thanks, BigToe! I'll look for your report -- and that of anyone else who attends. (Hint. :) )

There's no direct URL, but if you go to OBT.org, and click on Performances, there's a link to casting and note that casts are announced two days prior to performance.

Hi Carbro,

The OBT website is nice but it's a little to fancy for my slow modem. Here is a direct link to casting.

Hi,

I made it to the matinee performance today (Sunday the 10th, 1pm). The cast included Gavin Larsen as Sugar Plum Fairy; Allison Roper as Coffee; and Kathy Martuza as Dewdrop. Gavin is such a lovely ballerina it's always a pleasure to watch her dance. She hit every balance and pose this afternoon, there just is no question that I'll see a wonderful performance when Gavin is on the bill.

And is there anyone better than Alison Roper as Coffee? The answer is nope, although I have to put Kathi Martuza as Alison's equal in that role. Both have perfect timing with the finger symbols as they move around the stage. When it's time for the final pose the head, foot, and fingers are in perfect harmony. They remind me of when Tracy Taylor danced the part, this is the stuff of which dreams are made.

Kathi danced the role of Dewdrop today and was great. Kathi is such a physically strong presence on stage, and I haven't seen her in a role that didn't fit. I love the waltz tempo and all the flowers were very graceful, even for ballerinas. Candace Bouchard was a flower today, I heard last year that she did a spectacular job as Dewdrop and I hope to see her in the role this year.

These were the stand-outs for me, and I didn't see sore spot in the entire show.

Merry Christmas,

BigToe