This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancer updates

Just came back from my first Nutcracker (I'm going to wait to review until I have seen some more), so got to see the most up-to-date roster.

Tiler Peck is the 06-07 Janice Levin Dancer. Congrats to her! I was, however, expecting her to be the honoree next year and to see Scheller as the honoree this year. After reading some of the Nut reviews, I'm guessing other BTers will be sad for her, too.

I noticed that Dana Hanson has left the company. She was the most senior corps member-- she joined the company right after I first started attending ('90), so it feels like an end of an era. I'm glad Abergel and Walker are still there. They're now the most senior ones.

-amanda

I noticed that Dana Hanson has left the company. She was the most senior corps member-- she joined the company right after I first started attending ('90), so it feels like an end of an era. I'm glad Abergel and Walker are still there. They're now the most senior ones.

-amanda

I will miss Dana Hanson. She had the most beautiful arms. I once remarked on it to her & she said her Mom would be proud as Dana studied with her Mom & Mom always emphasized beautiful arms.

I will miss Dana Hanson. She had the most beautiful arms. I once remarked on it to her & she said her Mom would be proud as Dana studied with her Mom & Mom always emphasized beautiful arms.

Do you have any more information on this? I'm just really curious...

I didn't know her mother was a dancer, or that she studied with her. As far as I know she studied first at Olympic Ballet Theater in Edmonds WA.

(I realize this sounds odd...OBT was run by my brother and sister in law, and is now run by my sis-in-law and nephew. I've known Dana since she studied with them)

It's entirely possible that I misunderstood what Dana said. Perhaps her first lessons were with her Mom at home & she went to Olympic from there after showing promise?

The room was very crowded & noisy when we spoke but she definitely said Mom emphasized arms.

Unless "Mom" was the name of her first ballet teacher?

It's entirely possible that I misunderstood what Dana said. Perhaps her first lessons were with her Mom at home & she went to Olympic from there after showing promise?

The room was very crowded & noisy when we spoke but she definitely said Mom emphasized arms.

Unless "Mom" was the name of her first ballet teacher?

Heh, well that last doesn't sound too likely. Mom isn't common as a name is it :jawdrop:

I guess her mom could have taught her at a very young age. I was more wondering whether she could have been refering to my sister-in-law, as she did live with my brother and sister-in-law for a while when she was studying with them. She might have picked up calling them mom and dad from living as one of the family.

Stupid tangent, sorry! I wish I remembered better myself, but I was pretty young at the time...my brother's kids are older than I am.

That is a nice article! I couldn't help but notice a few weeks ago in the DanceViewTimes review of the RB's Sleeping Beauty how the accompanying photo of Ansanelli in supported 1st arabesque showed such a beautifully perfect front arm and hand whereas the back hand still looked pre-RB. She's obviously successfully making this transition.

There's a terrific article in The Sunday Times about Alexandra Ansanelli, . . .
Click here to see it.
I have not yet seen Bringing Ballanchine Back, but in that video Martins bashes AA.
I have seen BBB, and I'm certainly not in the habit of defending Martins, but I don't think it's unreasonable for an artistic director to demand that a dancer rehearse full-out before she debuts in a role. Now, whether her schedule could have arranged to avoid clumping her rehearsals and performances with little recovery time between is another issue.