This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I'm wondering if any other Chicago-ans have seen The Pirate Queen?

This is a new musical that is in trial runs here before it moves to Broadway next fall (I believe). The story is about the rise and exploits of 16th century Irish heroine Grace (Grania) O'Malley. The show has a promising pedigree -- book and music by the writers of Les Miserables and Miss Saigon , produced by the folks who brought us Riverdance .

The show got panned by all reviewers, and after seeing it last night, I have to say I agree. The music is pretty much what you'd expect if you are familiar with Les Mis . You can pretty much pair up the songs ("Boys will be Boys" is the analog of "Master of the House", there's a lovely tribute to a dying person, etc). It's very nice music, very creditably sung, but nothing highly special or creative.

The show suffers from much triteness and very little exploration of character or plot. The heroine of the title moves from stowaway on her father's ship (she's not allowed because females on ship are bad luck) to plucky savior during a storm to Pirate Queen within -- I kid you not -- 8 minutes or so of the curtain rise. And four of those minutes were the rousing scene- and mood-setting opening song (a la "Look Down", but upbeat and swaggering). I leave the introduction of Queen Elizabeth I's court in "Rah-rah, Tip-Tip" to your imagination; the best I can describe it is an homage to Gilbert and Sullivan, with all the period-inappropriate stereotypes and none of the acerbic wit.

Unless they totally rehab the whole thing, you can save your $90 in my opinion. However, the elderly suburbanites (or possibly, conventioneers) around us loved it.

Oh, yeah -- the Irish dancing is all too brief, but nicely done by the eight true Irish dancers (formerly of Riverdance and with the usual gaggle of World Championships and Irish Championships each). The rest is pretty much the usual stage dancing. The choreography in the fight scenes is laughable.

Unless they totally rehab the whole thing, you can save your $90 in my opinion. However, the elderly suburbanites (or possibly, conventioneers) around us loved it.

Do I hear "Long-Running Broadway Hit"? :D

Thanks for the warning. Sorry about the wasted money and evening.