This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Whither Somogyi

liebs

Lately I've been concerned about Somogyi's development. Maybe, she's just having an "off" start to the season but neither her perfomance on opening night (in which she substituted for Weese on short notice) nor the Sugar Plum I saw were encouraging. And in the first week of rep, I didn't think either the roles Martins or Wheeldon made for her in Verdi Variations or Polyphonia showed us what her distinctive qualities might be.

Given her physical gifts, there are many roles in the NYCB repertoire that Somogyi can fill. Any thoughts on what might help her fulfill her talent. Certain parts, better coaching or a particular partner?

Somogyi is an amazing allegro dancer with an incredible attack. I wouldn't worry too much about her. There is plenty of rep to suit her, I would think -- and she does seem to be in favor, so she'll get casted.

I would agree that her opening night performance was somewhat of a disappointment. I attended with a friend who no longer lives in New York, but was once a faithful NYCB-goer. When I saw Somogyi on the program, I told her she was in for a real treat. I felt I had to eat my words a bit.

But then I saw Somgyi's Dewdrop at the Nutcracker. Wow. It was quite a revelation to me. She really did slice through the air, and kept me on the edge of my seat. I've seen lots of Dewdrops, but have never seen that role danced in quite that way. I bet some balletgoers wouldn't like such an aggressive Dewdrop, but it suited me fine. And it made an indelible impression on me. I wouldn't be surprised to see her make other roles her own in the same way.

Somogyi danced Hypollita during last year's run of Midsummer Night's Dream, and she was staggering, her turns were alternately signals and doubles, and stop on a dime, while she was holding a bow and wearing a cape. She almost stopped the show. But for me, the real revelation was her second act, where Hypollita usually disappears. She was so noble and so gracious, but without effort that it was impossible not to watch her. But I kept thinking she should have been doing the pas de deux. A few years ago, she danced one first movement in Symphony in C, and again, I thought it was amazing, truly regal. I wish she would do more tutu roles--she really does have the Kyra Nichols aura.

For quite awhile, Somogyi seemed much like Kyra Nichols redux. Not at all a bad thing, and it was fun seeing the two of them dance Concerto Barocco together. One thing I've enjoyed in watching Somogyi in the past year or two is how she's been growing and changing. Perhaps because of her strength (it's hard to watch her without noticing her impressive musculature), she luxuriates in steps, finding the time and space for a teeny bit more streching, say, in arabesque, than most dancers. She looks almost dreaming, even in high-powered allegros.

And she looked fine to me in Polyphonia. Yes, she hasn't been tremendously in evidence so far this season, but I'm sure that will change.

Manhattnik wrote:

... she luxuriates in steps, finding the time and space for a teeny bit more streching, say, in arabesque, than most dancers.

Yes, indeed! For an example of this special quality, look at the picture accompanying yesterday's (1/7/01) New York Times review of "Quartet for Strings." Somogyi is the ballerina in the middle. To me she seems to uncoil a skein of lovely energy even in a moment in repose, where other dancers might simply look static. I think it's this quality that makes Somogyi's dancing seem so "three-dimensional" to me.

I'd like to second all the previous opinions posted. I think Somogyi is a dancer with beautiful fluidity of motion and conviction of movement. I had hoped that she would be able to obtain some new roles this season with Weese and Nichols on leave, Tracey about to retire and Kistler, Whelan and Alexopoulos dancing less ... but she hasn't. I was hoping she might get to try her chance at theme and variations, and that I would be able to see her in roles like Dances at the Gathering and Symphony in C. In fact she has only been cast in 3 ballets thus far, 2 of which were created on her. It seems all we get is Borree all over the place.

This all makes me wonder the allotment of roles at NYCB. And as someone fairly new to the world of ballet is there something I'm missing?

Whither Somogyi indeed. And for that matter whither Rutherford ... why isn't she a soloist yet?