This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The view new posts button?

Dale

I just tried it, and it works fine.

Usually, for my first look of the log-in session, I use "Today's Active Topics," which has the disadvantage that you have to scroll all the way down. It's consistently reliable, which is not so for View New.

Does Today's Active Topics work okay for you?

I did notice when I couldn't get in that there were as many as 90 + users, so maybe that's what flood control is? Now, there are 20 +, and I've gotten in both twice. I like the TAT better than VNP, because you get a longer list, and after VNP, you have a hard time getting to anything previous to them, have to click a lot. But today, even if I clicked 40 times, from either entrance, I never got in.

90+ users is huge for us. Interesting.

Mme. Hermine PM'ed me earlier to say that she was getting the flood control message. Flood control isn't dependent on the number of concurrent users; it's entirely based on the number of times an individual user attempts to post or clicks on the same command. (It's used to stop someone or an automated program from taking over board resources by posting continuously.)

I'll check the tech forums to see if I can find something.

You only get Today's Active Topics on the home page, at the bottom, just above the names of Active Users. After that, if you're on Today's Active Topics or View New Posts, there's a drop down menu at the right on the bottom of the screen, where you can pull active topics for Today, This Week, Two Weeks, etc.

Nifty feature! :)

I've turned in a repair ticket on the other board which also references this one, stating that at one point today, the server clock which enters the time that posts are made was 12 hours fast. Possibly the reason that the "view new posts" feature was not operating for some people had to do that they were requesting a search, and the time of the search request was BEFORE the time of the "latest" post, which might have been made 11 hours earlier! Anyway, we're past the "time warp", and we'll see if that improves things by tomorrow.

That's odd, because "View New Posts" worked for me yesterday, and during the time Mme. Hermine reported she was getting the "flood control" message. I wouldn't have received that one, because Admins aren't subject to "flood control," but I would have thought I would have gotten the "search error" message to say there were no new posts since the last time I checked, if the comparison was done using date math.

You're automatically on the home page when you log on, the one with the titles of all the forums and topics according to how Helene (after Alexandra) has grouped them. No direct links to posts on the home page. If you aren't there, clicking on "BalletTalk" on the banner links to it, as does the term "BalletTalk" on the left, directly below "Logged in as [you]".