• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Yes: Cellphones that are not "off" or on "vibrate," finicky small children, and talking patrons is annoying!

THE MUSIC CORNER

I forgot to mention, at Uliana's performance Oct 20 the music values were a little below par IMO.
Conductor Pavel Bubelnikov almost looks like a double for the old maestro Tchaikovsky himself. He wore (the 'sometimes' Valery Gergiev Look), black silk pyjamas. (?) I'm sorry, but I'm a traditionalist: What's wrong with white tie and cutaway black tails?

Bubelnikov reasonably aquitted the MT Orchestra of the score, despite the almost (IMO) non-existent acoustics in Segerstrom Hall. But on Friday night the brass section played notes that Tchaikovsky didn't write :clapping: , in various places, with incidents elegantly spaced across all the acts. In the woodwind section, one clarinet in particular had some profound difficulties. Never, never, never under the late Victor Fedotov.
One commentator in Petersburg on another site confirmed this when I inquired about it. She told me that this always occurs under Bubelnikov when he conducts Swan Lake at home, and no other staff conductor in the Maryinsky. Fortunately, Uliana and Co. were unfazed by this.

#32 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

...She told me that this always occurs under Bubelnikov when he conducts Swan Lake at home, and no other staff conductor in the Maryinsky.

Wow... I never thought of him as the most impressive of the house conductors at the Mariinsky, but did not realize the extent of chronic problems with Swan Lake. I got to hear quite a bit of him during this year's White Nights–in both Opera and Ballet, and he generally was 'on' :angel_not:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):