Spain to have new, classical "national ballet"?What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#46 PsFs

PsFs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

:thanks: .....Oh well, after reading the newest news on Angel Corella's website, the Gala is a "private" event for the media, "institutions", and private businesses, whatever all that may actually include. In fact, the date does not even figure in the calendar of events for the Teatro Real, although it is indeed to be held on the 16th of February--an "empty slot" between two opera performances in the theatre. So, we "fans" will have to wait for the news in the press or other media. That's the latest in Madrid... at least with regard to AC.

Now I would like to find more about Tamara Rojo's project.... Anyone have anything????

#47 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

Oh, what a pity!! I hoped I could go to the gala too... Why do they do this kind of antidemocratic 'apartheid'??? What about the Spanish balletomanes??? :(

#48 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

I assume the gala is a promotional event for the invited media, but primarily a fund-raiser, and so restricted to those with deeper pockets than the more general populace of balletomanes. Does anyone know what works will be performed yet? My last check of the Teatro Real and AFC websites were uninformative besides the fact that, as was noted by PsFs, it's being squeezed in between opera performances.

And, I assume, Mr. Corella is still planning to return in time to dance the following night(s) in London with ABT since no changes to that schedule have been noted. Chicago, however, still doesn't make sense if he's to conduct auditions in Spain as planned. I still marvel at his focus, determination, and energy to make it all happen. And wonder how much he learned watching Julio Bocca, Vladimir Malakov, and other dancers/danseurs from other companies do the same.

#49 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:31 AM

I assume the gala is a promotional event for the invited media, but primarily a fund-raiser, and so restricted to those with deeper pockets than the more general populace of balletomanes. Does anyone know what works will be performed yet? My last check of the Teatro Real and AFC websites were uninformative besides the fact that, as was noted by PsFs, it's being squeezed in between opera performances.

And, I assume, Mr. Corella is still planning to return in time to dance the following night(s) in London with ABT since no changes to that schedule have been noted. Chicago, however, still doesn't make sense if he's to conduct auditions in Spain as planned. I still marvel at his focus, determination, and energy to make it all happen. And wonder how much he learned watching Julio Bocca, Vladimir Malakov, and other dancers/danseurs from other companies do the same.

Well, I'm very, very, happy to inform you that, to mi surprise, I received an e.mail from the Corella's Foundation inviting me to the gala, it's clear that in a way I'm also "media" (as for sure I'm not a "deeper pocket" :dry: ) as I publish by all means I can the latest news about the evolution of this Spanish dream -this dream of mine that is going to be true- I'm following the project from the very beginning, I'm enthusiastic about it and supporting it by letters to all newspapers, from fotoescena, where as you know I'm collaborating, and from many forums all around the world.

So we will be there together with Jesús Vallinas to issue a report for fotoescena and of course I'll tell you and will try to translate it into English so that we can publish it in both languages Spanish and English.

I assume that in the invitation there will be a detailed program about the Gala schedule. I'll let you know.

This invitation is a thing I really appreciate very much and look forward to being there with deep emotion.

Don't be sad Grissi, this is just the kick off meeting of the Company we are looking for. People at Corella's Foundation have demonstrate all these years long that they know very well how to do things properly. Now it's time for media, maecenas and authorities. Our time, the balletomanes one, will be coming soon.

#50 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:48 AM

Thank you for your support, CarolinaM. I am anxious to see ballet (good ballet) in Madrid. Please, please, report the gala whenever you can. Very detailed, please!!!
Yes, I am confident that Ángel's team know to do things properly.

#51 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:37 AM

CarolinaM, I think that you could start a thread in 'European Ballet Companies' with your report about the gala... I'm giving you work, forgive me, but I'm anxious for this news.... :dry:

#52 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

People at Corella's Foundation have demonstrate all these years long that they know very well how to do things properly.

That's very good news indeed!

This is a story about a dancer who, at the same time he is maturing and deepening his own art, is showing remarkable vision and practicality on the way to creating a company and bringing back international level classical ballet to Spain.

Have a wonderful time at the Gala. We look forward to your report. :dry:

#53 PsFs

PsFs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

CarolinaM:

ENHORABUENA!!
Congratulations on your invitation!! I, too, will look forward to hearing all about what goes on and the report you give!! I hope it will also make major news in the national papers, too (not just "METRO" and "20Minutos" and the other free ones...). It is about time the printed media got more on the ball with promoting this new push for classical ballet in Spain.

4mrdncr: What is the thing you referred to about "Chicago" and the upcoming auditions in Spain?? I seem to have missed something about AC's scheduling challenges....

#54 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

Mr. Corella is scheduled to dance Romeo with ABT in Chicago on March 23, according to the calendar on the Company's website (use the drop-down menu and check March). As the curtain will fall on the performance at 11:00 (give or take just a few minutes), it makes it very doubtful that he'd be able to attend the March 24 audition in Madrid which CarolinaM noted in post #37.

#55 PsFs

PsFs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Carbro!!

If indeed AC dances the night of March 23 in Chicago, he probably won't get a flight until the evening of the 24th--unless of course he has a private jet whisk him away after the performance directly to Madrid!! I suppose all things are possible. :dunno: Even then, it would beimpossible for him to make the 1st morning auditions that Saturday. Perhaps his foundation staff would do the preliminary culling, and then have him only see and select from the narrowed field.... Does that ever happen in auditions? I am still a little green about how all this audition process works!!

#56 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:12 AM

Thank you very much to you all for your wishes :wink: as promised, I’m keeping you posted about any new I have.

I received the invitation to the gala. There will be a presentation of the Company followed by a performance of Ángel Corella and Laeticia Giuliani and finishing with a cocktail.

There will also be a press conference at 12’00 but I’m afraid I will not be able to attend as I booked a cheap flight leaving at 12’00 from Barcelona, so, no way, but I hope in the gala we will have enough information.

Maybe Ángel and Laeticia will dance these wonderful “Dance of the Hours” of the Opera La Gioconda that I enjoyed so much in the Liceu in Barcelona last season (I think it was also performed in the MET in NY, but not sure).

Yes, Grissi, no problem, I can open a thread in 'European Ballet Companies' about this new Company. I think there is only one from Spain there, Victor Ullate’s, even if the most known worldwide is the Compañía Nacional de Danza, directed by Nacho Duato.

As far as auditions are concerned it is possible that PsFs is right and

Perhaps his foundation staff would do the preliminary culling, and then have him only see and select from the narrowed field.... “Does that ever happen in auditions? I am still a little green about how all this audition process works!!

But I’m also green about this. I will try to ask about and let you know.

#57 PsFs

PsFs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

CarolinaM, I can hardly wait to hear your news. As for the press conference, do you know which media will be there?

And a general question of protocol :mad: : is it "OK" to connect personally with each other somehow via this website? As an example, since I live in Madrid, I think it would be neat to meet you CarolinaM (if YOU would like to), when you are here for the Gala, but I don't want to do be out of line with what is allowed in the exchange of personal information on this site.... can someone please advise? THANKS!!

#58 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

Often the way people meet up at events is to say, "I'll be standing by the XYZ statue in the lobby during first intermission."

Another way is through PM, for which you need to be a "Member" (10 or more substantial posts.) As a "New Member" who has posted, if you want to send your email address to someone on the board, please send us an email at the "contact us" link at the top of the page, with your username and the username of the person you want to reach. We can forward your email to their Ballet Talk registration email address, and they can contact you if they're interested.

#59 PsFs

PsFs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, Helene for the info and for a way for a new member like me to "get connected"!!

#60 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

CarolinaM,

Any comments after seeing the Gala for Corella's Foundation and new company?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):