This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spain to have new, classical "national ballet"?

To clarify, I think that there has been some confusion so far about the British "civil list." Herman Stevens is correct: the civil list consists of government payments TO several classes of people, including certain members of the royal family.

The model proposed for the Tamara Rojo project (as reported by CarolinaM) is quite close to the current balance of funding sources for the British ROB.

As I understand it, the proportion of direct governmetn subsidy given to major performing arts organizations has decreased, and continues to to decrease, all over Europe. Conversely, these organizations have become quite experimental in diversifying their sources of income, as those in the USA have had to be all along.

Thanks for that link, leonid. It's fascinating to explore. I wish Spain and even the UK, France, and Russia (major ballet powers, all) were included.

To return to the topic of this thread: any other news, thoughs, or suggestions about how to go about creating a national ballet for Spain? Where should it be located? Who should run it? How should it handle the job of reaching audiences and schools in other parts of the country?

Actually, the Civil List in Britain is reserved to certain persons and functions of State, such as the Great Officers of State, and the Royal Household, among many others. Matter as state visits and state functions (jubilee, funerals, dedications, royal travel within the Kingdom and Commonwealth, and so forth) is funded by the Civil List, which is raised by taxpayer revenue. It is not to be confused with the Civil Service, which is another matter entirely. Up until 1760, the Civil List was paid direct from the Treasury, and it was only at the insistence of the Earl of Bute that George III traded away the revenues from the hereditary assets of the sovereign to receive an annuity for the keeping of the Civil List. The Civil Service was paid by the sovereign until 1830, when William IV divested the sovereign from direct disbursement of funds to the Civil Service.

I, as an American, adhere to my nation's tradition and legal history of republicanism of government, and democracy of electorate. I will ever refuse to disparage, however, monarchy in the places where it works. The United Kingdom is such a place. I decline to be lectured to, or held up to scorn as some "ignorant colonist" by anyone! :jawdrop:

I, as an American, adhere to my nation's tradition and legal history of republicanism of government, and democracy of electorate. I will ever refuse to disparage, however, monarchy in the places where it works. The United Kingdom is such a place. I decline to be lectured to, or held up to scorn as some "ignorant colonist" by anyone! :jawdrop:

Dear Mel

I have never heard American's either described as colonists or as "...ignorant colonist" by an English person of any class and with your lucid explanation of the 'Civil List' and its history it is more likely that you would be described as an erudite person with no allusion to your country of origin.

Linking back to Bart's question I have my own views as to where a major company might by sited but I am sure Spain with its fiercely regional pride will please some and offend others when the decision is made.

In Europe for a national ballet companies theatre home to be elsewhere rather than in the capital city is fairly rare.

I have to confess I like my visit to see the ballet to be an all in one therapeutic and art experience away from my routine of work, mundane matters and the problems of the world.

I also like the theatre setting to be an essential part of that experience. I know that ballet audiences develop a fondness for the theatre in which their favourite companies dance. Which made me turn to the only two theatres I know in Spain and consider which would be the best home for a national ballet company.

The Teatro Real in Madrid generally seats 1748 and the stage just exceeds 59 feet by 46 feet and has modern stage machinery, with extensive changing rooms and rehearsal space.

The stalls seats are stepped and reasonable raked however the fairly narrow horse shoe-shaped auditoium has four tiers of boxes not always ideal for viewing ballet and finally a steep seating area at the top called the windows to paradise.

The auditorium in red and gold has an intimate feel and possesses central royal box which adds old fashioned glamour. The theatre has a formal restaurant and a cafe.

In Barcelona however the Teatro Liceo seats 2292 on 6 levels and has a glorious horseshoe auditorium in red and gold with a wonderful ceiling brilliantly lit and with decorative art makes it a favourite opera house of mine if you wanted to be transported back to an earlier age. The theatre entrance has a fabulous columned and marble floor from which marble stairs with flamboyant torcheres take you up to a mirrored salon.

The Teatro Liceo stage is a similar size to Madrid’s Teatro Real and had similarly modern equipment and facilities.

There are of course many other beautiful old theatres suitable for ballet and modern venues as well. Although Madrid is the capital, I would personally prefer to visit Barcelona to watch ballet.

The problem for both a national school and a national company would be accommodation which in any major city would be costly.

The model with the UK’s Royal Ballet is that the Junior school is in a park like setting in a near London suburb and the Senior School is now centred successfully in the Royal Opera House enclave. To adopt this model would not be a bad idea, although any reading of biographies of Maryinsky dancers will tell you that junior students contact with members of the ballet company was both exciting and inspirational.

Establishing from virtual scratch an academic teaching body, will undoubtedly be a challenge. But with the will and the finance, not an impossibility as long as unrealistic expectations are not placed upon early results.

Establishing a successful ballet company may be easier as it is probable that recruitment will not be difficult, but again it will take some time to establish what is seen as an appropriate identifying repertoire for a Spanish ballet company.

As it appears that the new company that Tamara Rojo has been approached to lead, will have the appellation Real and the Real Theatre and the Spanish monarchy’s royal palace is in Madrid, is it a forgone conclusion that the new national Royal company will be settled in the capital?

Whatever the decision, I believe the Spanish government's decision for a national company to be formed is brave and farsighted and reflects the growing interest in ballet both amonst children who wish to dance and audiences that want to see more ballet, perhaps from their home grown talent.

Thanks, leonid, for that post.

Your mention of the Teatro Real (Madrid) made me recall a performance of Don Q put on Victor Ullate's company 8 years ago. It was certainly a plausible theater for classical ballet. However, a visit to the Ullate website suggests that they are now using another theater (Teatro Albeniz) in Madrid. And, despite having Coppelia on their performance schedule this season, Iim not sure how classical they remain.

However, they also tour to other Spanish cities. And they do have a school in Madrid. And Corella danced for Ullate at the start of his career. Would it be possible to use Ullate's company as a platform from which to construct a new national company? Has this ever been considered? Would it be compatible with either Corella's or Rojo's visions?

As for the Liceu, many cultural leaders in Catalunya won't even call themselves "Spanish" let alone "Royal". All major cultural institutions I am aware of use the "Catalan" identification. This, plus Barcelona's long rivalry with Madrid in cultural as well as all other matters, might rule out setting up a national (and "royal") institution there.

Thank you all - I must beg the board's pardon for flying off the handle like that, but I suppose it's a historian's occupational disease. :jawdrop: I apologize.

Having a national company for ballet would indeed be another "jewel in the crown" for Spain, and whatever its source of funding, would be a highly positive event for Spain and the EU as a whole. Encouragement from everywhere should flock there, all the while fueling the Gross Domestic Product, and providing employment for dancers and the artistic staffs to establish a first-rate company for a first-rate nation.

(PS. Or even more than one! The way I see it, with the loss of Gulbenkian, the whole Iberian Peninsula is a growth area for ballet!)

Yes, Teatro Albéniz is nowadays very active in programming ballet. But it is not a good theatre for ballet. Rarely you hear music live, the stage has not the measures adequate for ballet and the audience cannot see properly (bad, old seats and very expensive tickets).

Ullate's company is now called Ballet de la Comunidad de Madrid, and it is under Madrid's government financial aide. I think that the reason that Ullate's company is 'regional' and not 'national' is that there were no 'national' offer. Do not forget that the repertoire of Duato's National Ballet and of Ullate's company is somewhat similar. In some way they could clash, I think. So it is compatible with either Corella's and Rojo's visions. There's enough room for everyone.

Aranjuez: Aranjuez is in the province of Madrid (Fuenlabrada as well). It is not the same case as Chartres. But it is true that it is far from Madrid centre. In any case, Madrid's governement inaugurated this year an Auditorium in El Escorial, where opera, ballet and concerts are held. In July the Royal Ballet performed Romeo and Juliet, and it was not easy to find a ticket the day when Tamara Rojo danced. I mean, may be if a good theatre is built in Aranjuez (I don't know if there is one already) and a good program is scheduled I see no problem in people moving there. A festival of baroque music is held there every year and it is a full success.

Real Ballet de España: Spain is a constitutional monarchy, and the king has no real power, every act the king does (except the appointment of his household) needs the countersignature of a member of the national government. As the king is the representative of the Spanish people (as the Constitution says) the use of 'Real' in the company name that Tamara Rojo plans to create is only honorary. Queen Sofía and princess Elena love ballet and I am not surprised of the Royal House support for these ideas.

I read an interview where Tamara said that the English and French (and others) scheme of a ballet school previous to a company cannot be implemented in Spain; that, for her, it is better to found a ballet company and, once stablished, the school will come naturally. I don't know why/how. On the other hand, although I think the idea brilliant, how will Tamara manage to direct the company and dance in the RB?

As for the Liceu, many cultural leaders in Catalunya won't even call themselves "Spanish" let alone "Royal". All major cultural institutions I am aware of use the "Catalan" identification. This, plus Barcelona's long rivalry with Madrid in cultural as well as all other matters, might rule out setting up a national (and "royal") institution there.

I agree: in a city that doesn't even speak Spanish it would be an unlikely choice for a national ballet company, but Like Leonid I also have a fondness for the Liceu. After the tragic fire it was completely re-built and the cutting edge technology that has been installed probably makes it number one in Europe, not just in Spain. A pity though that the interior is more utilitarian than attractive and I loathe those ticket barrier machines in the foyer, before long us fat Europeans will start to have trouble squeezing through them.

The biggest problem though may be that Barcelona is a city of staunch opera lovers and although the locals turn out for the ballet, they give it a fairly luke-warm reception. If the Spaniards were to base their national ballet company there it would be rather like the Germans deciding on creating a national ballet company and then basing it at Bayreuth, it just wouldn’t work.

A bit off subject, but is there still a summer dance festival held in Santander? I’ve only spotted listings for pop groups on the festival web site in the past couple of years. It would be a great shame if they dump ballet from the festival as it used to be a lovely place to combine watching ballet with a summer holiday.

I agree: in a city that doesn't even speak Spanish it would be an unlikely choice for a national ballet company, but Like Leonid I also have a fondness for the Liceu.
Spanish may not be the primary language of Barcelona, but I've yet to meet a native who doesn't speak Spanish, i.e., has not been able to speak to my Spanish-speaking travel companion in that language. As a Catalunya Nationalist once explained to me, "Spanish is the language of commerce" -- and he didn't mean that in a good way -- much like English is used as a common denominator in many parts of the world.

However, were a National company to be located there, the occasional tendency to not understand the Spanish of people from Spain, particularly Madrid, while understanding perfectly the Spanish of a tourist from Argentina or Costa Rica, would have to stop.

Posters have referred to Santander, San Lorenzo del Escorial, Aranjuez. There are obviously many touring destinations for a potential royal national company, especially in the summer, when the international tourists (millions of whom are in Spain during the summer, not all of them on package tours) will have the chance see the ballet -- not to mention the large numbers of Spaniards who now holiday in their own country.

Paris has its outside performances of large classical companies; why not the Alhambra/Generalife complex? various royal palaces and monasteries, gardens, plazas? With glorious weather in the summer evenings, why not?

Combine a 4-5 program season in Madrid with 2-3 programs each in Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, One or two-night stands in other cities. Smaller outdoor concert programs for gardens and historic sites.

This could be exciting! I hope that extensive touring to the provinces and to summer festivals is a part of any final plan.

The international world thinks of Spain as a producer of superb classical dancers. It is time that the Spanish people got the chance to see what is going on -- and to develop it even further.

Posters have referred to Santander, San Lorenzo del Escorial, Aranjuez. There are obviously many touring destinations for a potential royal national company, especially in the summer, when the international tourists (millions of whom are in Spain during the summer, not all of them on package tours) will have the chance see the ballet -- not to mention the large numbers of Spaniards who now holiday in their own country.

Paris has its outside performances of large classical companies; why not the Alhambra/Generalife complex? various royal palaces and monasteries, gardens, plazas? With glorious weather in the summer evenings, why not?

Combine a 4-5 program season in Madrid with 2-3 programs each in Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, One or two-night stands in other cities. Smaller outdoor concert programs for gardens and historic sites.

This could be exciting! I hope that extensive touring to the provinces and to summer festivals is a part of any final plan.

The international world thinks of Spain as a producer of superb classical dancers. It is time that the Spanish people got the chance to see what is going on -- and to develop it even further.

Exactly!!! :huh:

If we are lucky and the 3 companies that have possibilities to see light are created I'm pretty sure there are a lot of places where they would be more than welcomed in Spain.

Only in Gerona (Catalonia) there are 3 very good summer festivals: Peralada, Cap Roig and Porta Ferrada (Sant Feliu de Guixols were Angel Corella was due to set his project) with a very good ballet performances all along the summer as there also are in Tarragona, Valencia, Galicia, Granada, Pais Vasco, Extremadura.....

And what about these so nice theaters they are constructing everywhere but that no one has a Ballet Company associated in it? Rosa Cullel, the Director of the Liceu said recently, when a lot of people complained about the "fugue" of Corella, that while her hearth said yes, her head said no, that it was not possible for the Liceu to afford the cost of a Ballet Company and of course this is ridiculous, one can not understand how a rich country as ours with big and very costly theaters that are empty is not able to have a Ballet Company and in addition of that as it is a country able to "produce" these incredible amount of so great dancers. Some people thinks that if Corella had not been born in Madrid his Company would already be stablished in Catalonia and maybe, unfortunately, this is true... our current Catalan government is "catalanist" and even if Corell'as family are living in Barcelona maybe this is not enough for them.

But in general about Catalan behavior, even if it is true that some catalans have a fierce opposition to talk in Spanish to other people coming from the rest of Sapin, they are very few. Most of us have no problem at all, on the contrary, we are more than happy to turn to any language in the aim to communicate.

And I have to say that I always have been very happy in Madrid. Unfortunately this "rivality" is created and maintained mainly by football fans and some politicians :(

About Ullate I think that he is mainly supported by the Madrid comunity and there are no plans to offer him the possibility to manage one of this possible future Companies.

Last news about Ullate's Company in this thread.

The “Fundación Angel Corella” signed yesterday the contract with “Patrimonio Nacional” responsible for the cession of the Santa Cecilia Palace that will host the International Dance School and Company.

The “Fundación Ángel Corella” has two objectives:

1.- An International Classic Ballet Company, with 70 dancers of different categories, that will perform the master pieces of the classic repertoire as well as the neoclassics of past and present choreographers.

2.- A formation center, for students from 12 years and up to 18, where they will follow academic and artistic studies.

The first objective will be presented in a gala in the Teatro Real in Madrid, next February 16.

Auditions to hire the 70 company dancers will take place on March 24, 25 & 26 in the Teatro Real in Madrid and on 29, 30 & 31 in the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona.

Further auditions will follow in London and New York. They will be announced soon in Ángel Corella's web page

The company will start its activity with the premiere of La Bayadere in Madrid’s Teatro Real the 5th of September 2008.

As far as school is concerned it will take more time as the Palace has to be conditioned to be able to give all the services required. Two more buildings have to be built. Depending on the speed of getting licences and carrying out the works it is foreseen to open by seasons 2008/2009 or 2009/2010.

:)

Finally! Hooray! :wacko:

I heard about this possibility last November, and thought there would be an announcement in February, and now they've even beat that deadline. Wonderful!

In an interview in the winter 2006 edition of "Dance International", Corella explains his purpose and plans for the company and school, and the recruitment, auditions, and practical renovations/re-construction necessary to make it happen. It all sounds very beautiful, and ambitious. Vision, focus, determination, and very hard work coordinating and organizing all the development and administrative staff necessary to make it viable and sustainable. All the best to Corella, his Foundation, staff, and the people of Spain. I am so glad it will be a CLASSICAL ballet company (and now maybe two classical companies?). I look forward to the next announcement.

RE: Touring...Of course Corella and the approximately 10 dancers from ABT, NYCB or elsewhere that make up his group have been touring around Spain for several years now. So yes, many of those beyond Madrid and Barcelona environs have had a chance to see some great dancers perform and maybe to appreciate the artform and its exemplars more. I do have one question about the Madrid gala mentioned in Carolina's post...Did she mean 16 February 2007--ie. the DAY BEFORE Angel Corella is scheduled to perform with ABT in London, or next year? I know he likes a tight schedule of performances but I'm a little surprised that ABT management would agree--especially if any of his current colleagues are also scheduled to appear at the gala.

Yes I got the confirmation that the presentation gala is schedulled for next February 16, 2007.

I've been told that Ángel will dance, I do not know if accompanied by some other dancers (his sister and brother in law maybe?)

I'm pretty sure that more details will be known after that day and any question or unclear aspect we may have could be clarifyed by the so kind people in charge of Corella's foundation.

I do not have any new about the other possible company, Tamara Rojo's one. But under my point of view it is Ángel who deserves the more support.

I totally agree with you 4mrdncr:

Vision, focus, determination, and very hard work coordinating and organizing all the development and administrative staff necessary to make it viable and sustainable. All the best to Corella, his Foundation, staff, and the people of Spain. I am so glad it will be a CLASSICAL ballet company

It has been for long by now that Corella has been fighting to get his dream come true. He had nearly all he needed in Cataluña, the first authonomy where he has wanted to set up but unfortunately it has not been possible because of Government and Gran Teatre del Liceu lack of commitment and when La Granja has offered him the installations I'm pretty sure that he has been more than happy.

Does anyone here know about that place? Just take a look La Granja de San Ildefonso / Proyecto Corella

And another link to the interview on the occasion of Angel & ABT stars performance in Colmenar Viejo, near Madrid, where Ángel was born Ángel Corella en España

Thanks to all for your best whises. I'll keep you posted as this is also a dream of mine that can be made true :lol:

CarolinaM,

Do you happen to know that if Angel's school and company are aimed at giving SPANISH dancers a chance to stay in Spain not only to train, but also work professionaly, are NON Spaniards being considered for the auditions for the company? Will Spaniards who are dancing abroad have priority in the selection process over non-Spaniards? My daughter, with the exception of one year in the US, grew up and has done all her training in Spain, (grado elemental in Zaragoza and grado medio at the Real Conservatorio in Madrid). She would have loved to stay here to dance when she graduated from the Conservatory and Bachillerato last spring, but we all know that's been nearly impossible here in Spain and will continue to be so until these companies get going.

For the Ballet Master who watches this thread: is there any way you can link some of this information over to the ballet talk for dancers? About a week ago I saw some questions on this topic on that site, so I thought I'd try to get some info and googled my way to THIS site--I didn't realize they were separate!! and I am not sure I could find my way back to what topic it was that was discussing Angel's and Tamara's company projects in Spain.

Hi, PsFs.

I'm speaking as a moderator here. Your questions, while they pertain to the rest of the thread, really are beyond the scope of this, the audience board. I know you are a member of BalletTalk for Dancers, which is really where your questions belong.

Meanwhile, I notice that your profile identifies you as a fan. I hope you will continue to add to this thread as the ballet scene in Spain begins to flourish. :wink:

I also hope you'll take a moment to introduce yourself on our Welcome Page.

CarolinaM,

Do you happen to know that if Angel's school and company are aimed at giving SPANISH dancers a chance to stay in Spain not only to train, but also work professionaly, are NON Spaniards being considered for the auditions for the company? Will Spaniards who are dancing abroad have priority in the selection process over non-Spaniards? My daughter, with the exception of one year in the US, grew up and has done all her training in Spain, (grado elemental in Zaragoza and grado medio at the Real Conservatorio in Madrid). She would have loved to stay here to dance when she graduated from the Conservatory and Bachillerato last spring, but we all know that's been nearly impossible here in Spain and will continue to be so until these companies get going.

Hello PsFs :wink:

I think that all details will be known after the Gala schedulled for February 16, in the Teatro Real but I can tell you that in the auditions that will be made in Madrid & Barcelona, as well as in London and New York, Corella's company is searching high level dancers, no matter where they are born. Quality is the objective.

You can find complete information here:

http://www.fotoescena.net/foro/viewtopic.p...er=asc&start=15

in Spanish.

As far as Tamara's project is concerned, any idea. It seems that there is no new but it is a quite new project while Ángel's one has already started 5 or 6 years ago if my memory doesn't fail.

Kind regards from Barcelona and nice to find more Spanish people here. Ballet is really a global issue!

Thanks, carbro, for the heads up on what to post where!! I'll try to remain the fan here, and do my "parent thing" there. In the meantime, I've got the bug to get info about the February gala, hopefully attend and get some firsthand info!!

I just wanted to urge those those of you who do not read Spanish to have a look at the two links anyway. There are many, many wonderful photos and other illustrations including recent shots of Corella, his sister, Chris Wheeldon, and the Cornejos taking a tour of La Granja, where the Corella Project will be based. The interview in fotoescena has marvellous photos, too. Thanks, CarolinaM.

Does anyone here know about that place? Just take a look La Granja de San Ildefonso / Proyecto Corella

And another link to the interview on the occasion of Angel & ABT stars performance in Colmenar Viejo, near Madrid, where Ángel was born Ángel Corella en España

In the meantime, I've got the bug to get info about the February gala, hopefully attend and get some firsthand info!!

:jawdrop:

Oh really? I would love it very much to be invited but I’m afraid there is no way, maybe Franz (Jesús Vallinas) will and we'll have a complete report about it, with pictures about Ángel's performance.

If you PsFs go please, please, tell us as soon as you can.

And many thanks to you Bart I'm happy you have liked :)

:thanks: .....Oh well, after reading the newest news on Angel Corella's website, the Gala is a "private" event for the media, "institutions", and private businesses, whatever all that may actually include. In fact, the date does not even figure in the calendar of events for the Teatro Real, although it is indeed to be held on the 16th of February--an "empty slot" between two opera performances in the theatre. So, we "fans" will have to wait for the news in the press or other media. That's the latest in Madrid... at least with regard to AC.

Now I would like to find more about Tamara Rojo's project.... Anyone have anything????

I assume the gala is a promotional event for the invited media, but primarily a fund-raiser, and so restricted to those with deeper pockets than the more general populace of balletomanes. Does anyone know what works will be performed yet? My last check of the Teatro Real and AFC websites were uninformative besides the fact that, as was noted by PsFs, it's being squeezed in between opera performances.

And, I assume, Mr. Corella is still planning to return in time to dance the following night(s) in London with ABT since no changes to that schedule have been noted. Chicago, however, still doesn't make sense if he's to conduct auditions in Spain as planned. I still marvel at his focus, determination, and energy to make it all happen. And wonder how much he learned watching Julio Bocca, Vladimir Malakov, and other dancers/danseurs from other companies do the same.

I assume the gala is a promotional event for the invited media, but primarily a fund-raiser, and so restricted to those with deeper pockets than the more general populace of balletomanes. Does anyone know what works will be performed yet? My last check of the Teatro Real and AFC websites were uninformative besides the fact that, as was noted by PsFs, it's being squeezed in between opera performances.

And, I assume, Mr. Corella is still planning to return in time to dance the following night(s) in London with ABT since no changes to that schedule have been noted. Chicago, however, still doesn't make sense if he's to conduct auditions in Spain as planned. I still marvel at his focus, determination, and energy to make it all happen. And wonder how much he learned watching Julio Bocca, Vladimir Malakov, and other dancers/danseurs from other companies do the same.

Well, I'm very, very, happy to inform you that, to mi surprise, I received an e.mail from the Corella's Foundation inviting me to the gala, it's clear that in a way I'm also "media" (as for sure I'm not a "deeper pocket" :dry: ) as I publish by all means I can the latest news about the evolution of this Spanish dream -this dream of mine that is going to be true- I'm following the project from the very beginning, I'm enthusiastic about it and supporting it by letters to all newspapers, from fotoescena, where as you know I'm collaborating, and from many forums all around the world.

So we will be there together with Jesús Vallinas to issue a report for fotoescena and of course I'll tell you and will try to translate it into English so that we can publish it in both languages Spanish and English.

I assume that in the invitation there will be a detailed program about the Gala schedule. I'll let you know.

This invitation is a thing I really appreciate very much and look forward to being there with deep emotion.

Don't be sad Grissi, this is just the kick off meeting of the Company we are looking for. People at Corella's Foundation have demonstrate all these years long that they know very well how to do things properly. Now it's time for media, maecenas and authorities. Our time, the balletomanes one, will be coming soon.