This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gala Performance - Oct 25

Is anyone going to the Gala Performance on October 25? It's a one night only event, and the program looks really thrilling. I bought my ticket right away and I can't wait!

From the website:

This benefit evening will feature the entire company and full orchestra, and showcase all principal dancers and internationally renowned guest artists performing solos, pas de deux, excerpts from classical and contemporary ballets, and a surprise or two...

Among the highlights of the evening are George Balanchine’s show-stopping Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, the central pas de deux from William Forsythe’s edgy, electrifying In the middle, somewhat elevated; the introduction of One Constant, a piece created by second soloist Heather Myers for Boston Ballet’s Choreography Workshop in May, and New York City Ballet principal dancer Damian Woetzel performing Jerome Robbins’ exquisite Suite of Dances. Choreographed in 1994 for Mikhail Baryshnikov and performed to Suites for Solo Cello by Johann Sebastian Bach, Suite of Dances is an elegantly playful solo accompanied by an onstage cellist. Boston Ballet has danced just one Robbins ballet in its history (Interplay), and Woetzel’s appearance provides a rare opportunity to see a work by the man many feel was the greatest American-born classical choreographer. The evening will also feature a performance by second soloist Misa Kuranaga, who recently won a gold medal in the senior division of the Jackson International Ballet Competition.

The remaining repertory and full casting will be announced at a later date.

I saw Heather Myers' piece back in May at Harvard and I totally loved it. I'm so glad to be seeing it again! :clapping:

I really wanted to see this, but it's the same night as Veronika Part in Symphonie Concertante. But I'll be up there for several of the other BB programs.

Interesting to note Woetzel furthering his ties in his native Boston. He's getting a degree at Harvard, it was reported.

Hello,

Yes I am thinking of going. I live in Mass.--about 2hrs from Boston. I already have tix for ABT that weekend (4+hrs each way to NYC), but it would be a good chance to see the rep again. Now, if only I can switch a work schedule.

I was a subscriber to BB some years ago, but their ticket pricing was so outrageous--double ABT's prices, and no upstairs seating except $$$ Mezz.--I gave up and instead endured the long trip to NYC last year. But now the chance to see Damian Woetzel, and Erica Cornejo may entice me back more often. Any chance of meeting up and/or comparing notes?

If ever I wanted to clone myself it is for October 25 - 1 of me can watch Veronika Part in Symphonie Concertante in NY and the other would go to Boston to this gala because it just keeps getting better and better. Here's the casting:

BOSTON BALLET ANNOUNCES COMPLETE PROGRAM FOR GALA PERFORMANCE

TINA LeBLANC AND GONZALO GARCIA OF SAN FRANCISCO BALLET JOIN PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED DAMIAN WOETZEL OF NEW YORK CITY BALLET AS GUEST ARTISTS

October 10, 2006

(BOSTON)— Artistic Director Mikko Nissinen announced today the complete repertory and casting for Boston Ballet’s one-time-only Gala Performance, which takes place on Wednesday, October 25 at 8pm at The Wang Theatre. This benefit evening will feature the entire company and full orchestra, and showcase all principal dancers and internationally renowned guest artists performing solos, pas de deux, and excerpts from classical and contemporary ballets. Tina LeBlanc and Gonzalo Garcia, principal dancers with San Francisco Ballet, join previously announced Damian Woetzel as guest artists. LeBlanc and Garcia will appear in excerpts from George Balanchine’s Apollo and Jerome Robbins’ Other Dances. Garcia is also scheduled to dance the role of Basilio in several performances of Rudolf Nureyev’s Don Quixote, stepping in for the injured Roman Rykine. He will partner Boston Ballet’s newest principal dancer, Erica Cornejo. Woetzel, principal dancer with New York City Ballet who studied at Boston Ballet School, will perform Robbins’ Suite of Dances. Another solo new to Boston Ballet audiences is Edward Stierle’s Lacrymosa, performed to a movement from Mozart’s Requiem. Stierle choreographed this solo for himself when he competed in and won a gold medal at the Jackson International Ballet Competition in 1986. It later was the springboard for a full company work created for the Joffrey Ballet, where Stierle became a star dancer and choreographer of unlimited promise. He died of AIDS at the age of 23 in 1991. Lacrymosa will be danced by Boston Ballet soloist Jared Redick. The evening will conclude with the entire company appearing in a défilé, set to music by Henry Purcell. Mikko Nissinen marks his fifth anniversary as artistic director of Boston Ballet this year, and as a thank you to the city for its enthusiastic support of the Company, more than 1800 seats for the Gala are being sold for $25 per ticket. There are also a select number of seats at $500, which includes a pre-performance reception at Akris on Newbury Street.

The complete program follows:

BOSTON BALLET GALA PERFORMANCE

(Casting subject to change)

Who Cares? (exerpts)

Music: George Gershwin

Choreography: George Balanchine

Dancers: Melanie Atkins, Lia Cirio, Lorna Feijóo and Carlos Molina

Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion (pas de deux)

Music: Béla Bartók

Choreography: Val Caniparoli

Dancers: Karine Seneca, Pavel Gurevich

Gopak

Music: Vasily Soloviev-Sedoy

Choreography: Rotislav Zakharov

Dancer: Joel Prouty

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Dancers: Erica Cornejo, Reyneris Reyes

Lacrymosa

Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Choreography: Edward Stierle

Dancer: Jared Redick

Other Dances (excerpts)

Music: Frédéric Chopin

Choreography: Jerome Robbins

Dancers: Tina LeBlanc, Gonzalo Garcia*

Carmen (excerpt)

Music: Rodion Shchedrin after Georges Bizet

Choreography: Jorma Elo

Dancers: Karine Seneca, Sabi Varga, Melissa Hough, Kathleen Breen Combes, Joel Prouty, and ensemble Part II

Don Quixote (Fandango)

Music: Ludwig Minkus, arranged by John Lanchbery Choreography: Rudolf Nureyev

Dancers: Tai Jimenez, Mindaugus Bauzys and ensemble

Apollo (excerpts)

Music: Igor Stravinsky

Dancers: Tina LeBlanc and Gonzalo Garcia*

One Constant (excerpt)

Music: Alexander Balanescu

Choreography: Heather Myers

Dancers: Romi Beppu, Rie Ichikawa, Katherine Hartsell, Kelley Potter, John Lam, Loren Mathis, Christian Squires, James Whiteside

Don Quixote (pas de deux)

Music: Ludwig Minkus, arranged by John Lanchbery Choreography: Rudolf Nureyev

Dancers: Larissa Ponomarenko, Nelson Madrigal

In the middle, somewhat elevated (pas de deux)

Music: Thom Willem

Choreography: William Forsythe

Dancers: Romi Beppu, Yury Yanowsky

Suite of Dances

Music: Johann Sebastian Bach

Choreography: Jerome Robbins

Dancer: Damian Woetzel**

The Dying Swan

Music: Camille Sainte-Saëns

Choreography: Michel Fokine

Dancer: Lorna Feijóo

Défilé

Music: Henry Purcell

Choreography: Mikko Nissinen, Trinidad Vives

Dancers: Entire Company

*Courtesy San Francisco Ballet

** Courtesy New York City Ballet

TICKETING

Ticket prices for the Gala Performance range from $25 - $250.

Tickets can be purchased through Boston Ballet at 617.695.6955, at The Wang Theatre box office and Telecharge.

Call Telecharge at 800-447-7400, or visit Telecharge online at www.telecharge.com.

The Wang Theatre box office is located at 270 Tremont Street in Boston’s Theatre District, and is open Monday-Saturday from 10am – 6pm.

Boston Ballet gratefully acknowledges the following institutional partners: Fidelity Investments, 2006-2007 Season Sponsor The Massachusetts Cultural Council The National Endowment for the Arts Boston Organ & Piano, Official Piano Supplier of Boston Ballet Delta Airlines, Official Airline of Boston Ballet WCVB-TV, Channel 5, Television Partner

Founded in 1963, Boston Ballet is one of the leading dance companies in North America. It has 50 full-time dancers and maintains an internationally acclaimed repertoire of classical and contemporary works, ranging from full-length story ballets to new works by some of today’s best choreographers. Boston Ballet’s second company, Boston Ballet II, is made up of pre professional dancers who gain experience by performing with Boston Ballet and as an independent group, presenting lecture-demonstrations and unique programs to audiences throughout the Northeast. Boston Ballet Center for Dance Education instructs more than 3,000 students of all ages each year through Boston Ballet School, Young Dancers Summer Workshop, Summer Dance Program, DanceLab, Citydance, Adaptive Dance and Taking Steps.