This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paris Opera Ballet: Which "Jewel" did you like best?

Paris Opera Ballet: Which "Jewel" did you like best?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite part of the Paris Opera Ballet's performance of "Jewels"?

• Emeralds
    • Rubies
    • Diamonds
    • No favorite

Well, I have seen this ballet live twice, in Madrid, Royal Opera House. Then, I bought the video. For the video, I voted for Diamonds. But my opinion is different for the two performances. For the first one (Emeralds: Pujol, Averty; Rubies: Abbagnato, Thibault, Gillot; and Diamonds: Letestu, Martínez) I have no doubt that the best part was Rubies, the second one Emeralds and the poorest Diamonds. But two days after I attended a matinée: Emeralds: Riqué, Romberg; Rubies: Zusperreguy, Courtain, Cozette; and Diamonds: Gillot, Bart, and I couldn't remain sat at the end. Gillot was superb, the music was incredibly played, I think that I have never felt that emotion before: when Bart kissed Gillot's hand it was 'THE MOMENT'.

So I believe that the cast makes the difference. What do you think?

But to the video and your opinions:

Costumes: I looove them. Very elegant designed.

Emeralds: Yes, a lot of difference between this performance and the one recorded for 'Choreography by Balanchine'. POB less cold, more romance in their dancing. I liked more Clairemarie Osta than Pujol. Osta was very sweet but I found Pujol's expression a little bit forced. Pas de trois: very good feet, but I liked better NYB's performance.

Rubies: I adore Dupont, she is by far my favourite dancer, so everything is said. Gillot, as always, was superb.

Diamonds: I have certain problems with Letestu. I think she is a very elegant dancer, with magnificent poises, very good feet and extensions, but her manege, her petit allegro or grand allegro (Paquita, for example) is very poor and always out of music. May be this is because of her size, I don't know. (By the way, Helene, in which thread are your opinions about Letestu in this performance?). The demi corps were brilliant (Isabel Ciaravola, among them, the best), Bart as well, and the music very well performed.

Diamonds: Gillot, Bart, and I couldn't remain sat at the end. Gillot was superb, the music was incredibly played, I think that I have never felt that emotion before: when Bart kissed Gillot's hand it was 'THE MOMENT'.

So I believe that the cast makes the difference. What do you think?

From what I've seen of Gillot (on video only), I agree completely. She's one of those dancers who holds the eye and makes you want to follow her. :wink:

Bart Not the dancer Bart. Alas.

However, as gatto97 (I think) said on the other thread, it's possible that Jewels is entering the same kind of position in the international standard rep as Swan Lake -- becoming a superb base on which various company styles, and changing aesthetic values, will inevitably attach themselves.

On the other thread, Dale listed the companies which have performed Jewels:

Regarding the question of other companies who do Jewels: I know of NYCB, PNB, SFB, PA Ballet has done it, Pittsburgh under Patricia Wilde, MCB, NoBC, Mariinsky-Kirov, POB, and Cincinnati Ballet with Ballet Met. The Dutch National Ballet is planning its first production in September, and the Royal Ballet is planning to present it in 2007. Several companies have done one section, usually Rubies (under the title Capricio, the title of the music).

It does indeed seem that Jewels is becoming a real milestone ballet for 21st century companies -- you do it, in part, to prove that you can. Peter Boal made a comment in a post-show Q&A session last season to that effect.