• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

Let's pretend I can get tickets to any Chicago performance -- but can afford to see at most two. Which casting should I go for, and why?

Vishneva/Fadeev
Pavlenko/Zelensky
Lopatkina/Korsuntsev
Tereshkina/Kolb
Somova/Zelensky
Pavlenko/Sarafanov

#32 Geier

Geier

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

Try everything to see Uliana Lopatkina: she IS the Swan!!! :wub: :)

And, to my taste, try more than everything to avoid Somova... :foot:

#33 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

Geier has it right.

Lopatkina offers the epitome of Mariinsky's aesthetic of purity in classical dance.

Somova, a coryphee (the upper rank of the corps de ballet),
is being promoted by the Mariinsky powers-that- be as principal dancer potential.

Many people, including me, scratch their heads over this. But they may be right. Who knows?

The other lead choices between these two offer many many riches.

For me the future is Pavlenko.

#34 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:45 AM

I agree 100% - Lopatkina & Pavlenko. If you could go to 3 I would add Vishneva, but in this company she would not be in my top 2. I havenít seen Lopatkina in Swan Lake but Iíve seen her in other things and she is a wonderful and unique ballerina. With her steely technique, long lines, exotic face and classical purity I can understand why people speak of her as the Odette of her generation.

I have seen Pavlenkoís Swan Lake & it is the most moving Iíve seen since Makarovaís. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement. If you like the sad, hopeless variety of Odette you will love her. Iím a little nervous about seeing her partnered by Sarafanov, but her performance with Zelensky is not open to the public. If for some reason you are able to get tickets to that one - GO. Sarafanov is a great soloist, but not the worldís best partner. Zelensky is not that young anymore, but he is still wonderful.

Vishneva is an extraordinary dancer, I would go see her in anything. She is always fascinating but Swan Lake is not her best role so if you have to choose 2 Iíd go with Lopatkina & Pavlenko. Since I am only going to Chicago for the weekend I didn't have the option of seeing Vishneva on opening night. I got tickets for Fri night , Sat night & Sunday mat before the casting was announced. If it holds Iím going catch Somovaís performance in addition to Lopatkina & Pavlenko. Iíve only seen Somova once, and tend to agree with the consensus that sheís too green and too obsessed with hyperextentions. Still, Iím kind of curious to see if she tames it down for Swan Lake or spends the whole night scratching her ear with her foot :)

#35 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

I am so excited! My ticket for Uliana's Oct 20 O/O at the O.C. Perf. Arts Center has arrived! I've seen Pavlenko and she's absolutely awesome! I've never seen Uliana and I want to compare two great ballerinas in the same role!

Some trivia: This will be the first time since 1986 that the Maryinsky will bring the Sergeyev "Swan Lake" back to L.A. They brought Vinogradov's re-dux in 1992 and it was, well . . . it was. That's the most diplomatic way I can describe that production. And yes, I agree: By all means avoid A. Somova.

#36 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

I am excited too, cygnet! My series night is for Romeo and Juliet but I was able to get a ticket for Saturday eve. with Somova (I am just too curious about all the hubbub!) and with Vishniva on Sunday matinee. I love Uliana and yet I have seen her recently in other ballets, so opted to open myself to other artists and take advantage of this visit!

#37 dancemomCA

dancemomCA

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

:blush: How do I find out the casting for the Ottawa show??? I've great seats for "Swan Lake" and my dancer son will be attending and is interested in the cast.

OK - just read the entire thread, found the named link and discovered that Vishneva and Fadeev will be performing Sat at 8PM. Thanks!

#38 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

I've seen Lopatkina in Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Bayadierka (to name just three roles), and she has been spectacular (except for one off-night of Sleeping Beauty that she was upstaged by Vishneva).

This go around I'll get to see Vishneva only... at the O.C. in both Romeo & Juliet & Swan Lake.

Look forward to the performances and will post my comments.

#39 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

...I was able to get a ticket for Saturday eve. with Somova (I am just too curious about all the hubbub!) and with Vishniva on Sunday matinee...

I'll be there Sunday afternoon as well... look forward to reading your impressions and how they compare with mine :wink:

#40 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

I have seen Pavlenkoís Swan Lake & it is the most moving Iíve seen since Makarovaís. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement...

Now I *really* want to see her in Swan Lake... I've seen her before in smaller roles (including 'Leningrad Symphony' this Spring in St. Petersburg) and liked her very much.

...too bad she won't be dancing in O.C. :wink:

#41 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:26 AM

I'm so bad at this. I'll be at the Kirov performances in Orange County Tues., Thurs., Fri., and Sat. nights. If other Ballet Talk members are going to be there perhaps we could meet. I don't know where, or how we'll distinguish ourselves. If interested PM me.

Giannina

#42 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

I have seen Pavlenkoís Swan Lake & it is the most moving Iíve seen since Makarovaís. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement. If you like the sad, hopeless variety of Odette you will love her. Iím a little nervous about seeing her partnered by Sarafanov, but her performance with Zelensky is not open to the public. If for some reason you are able to get tickets to that one - GO.

Interesting observations, but is 1,70 m small? :wink:

#43 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

It's a bit less than 5 and a half feet. Relatively speaking, how "small" is that?

#44 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:05 AM

Giannina....I will be there with single ticket on Sat. evening....sitting in orchestra front.
We should meet up! I am so curioius about this cast.....would be fun to chat with you.
I have to remember that it is a 7:30 curtain! Name a location.......at intermission or before performance?

#45 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

... I'll be at the Kirov performances in Orange County Tues., Thurs., Fri., and Sat. nights...

I'll be there Tuesday evening (tomorrow :wink: !).

I'll PM you about meeting up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):