This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mozart Dances

Yesterday afternoon, MMDG closed a four performance run of Mozart Dances at CalPeformances' Zellerbach Hall. Sold out house (2,000 seats), enormous ovation, everyone standing, actual cheering beginning when Mark Morris came out for his bow...first night of the run was the 150th performance of MMDG in Berkeley.

Conversations at intermission and IMO indicate that the audience places this on a plateau with only L'allego on a higher peak.

The SF Chronicle in a review not only raved but compared the please of the second section with viewing Matisse.

I saw three of the four performances...sitting in different sections each time and each time saw anew...

Thanks for linking to James Fenton's that op-ed on Morris, dirac. Lots of "op" and lots of gossip. Fun to read. Though I was a bit distressed by:

Those of us who like Morris partly because he's against all the things we can't stand about ballet [ ... ]
Why do so many critics find it necessary to put down one form of dance when praising another?
Yesterday afternoon, MMDG closed a four performance run of Mozart Dances at CalPeformances' Zellerbach Hall. Sold out house (2,000 seats), enormous ovation, everyone standing, actual cheering beginning when Mark Morris came out for his bow...first night of the run was the 150th performance of MMDG in Berkeley.

Conversations at intermission and IMO indicate that the audience places this on a plateau with only L'allego on a higher peak.

The SF Chronicle in a review not only raved but compared the please of the second section with viewing Matisse.

I saw three of the four performances...sitting in different sections each time and each time saw anew...

Great news, ggobob. Thanks.

Anyone else at these performances who wants to give a report?

And what do you think about ggobob's statement .... "Conversations at intermission and IMO indicate that the audience places this on a plateau with only L'allegro on a higher peak"?

Thanks for linking to James Fenton's that op-ed on Morris, dirac. Lots of "op" and lots of gossip. Fun to read. Though I was a bit distressed by:
Those of us who like Morris partly because he's against all the things we can't stand about ballet [ ... ]
Why do so many critics find it necessary to put down one form of dance when praising another?

And it's just silly--it makes MM sound like the cutting edge of the avant garde, which he isn't. He has more affinities to ballet than most modern choreographers, both aesthetically and literally--I mean, he's actually choreographed a ballet! And I can easily imagine a ballet company dancing his works.

I can't help this time around treefrog, circumstances preventing me from seeing both programs, so my choice was forced. Nor does the company website describe their repertory, so I guess with Merce you'll have to take your chances! (Sorry for the terrible joke, but I couldn't resist.) If you'll only go to one, maybe pick the one where you can get the better seat location?