63 replies to this topic

#61 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,029 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

This past weekend I saw two performances of Divertimento No. 15 in San Francisco, and probably because of the recent tribute to Hayden by d'Amboise, I thought a lot about her during the performances, and I judged the dancers by whether they conveyed any trace of Balanchine's snapshot of Hayden in their interpretations.

#62 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

>>[quote name='bart' date='Feb 6 2007, 04:35 PM' post='197210']
The Winter 2007 issue of DanceView has just arrived in the mail. I glanced through it on my way back from the mailbox and then stopped at page 26. Is "transfixed" too strong a word? .....the 4-page "Tribute to Melissa Hayden" -- "America's Ballerina" -- by Dale Brauner, an account of the NYCB Seminar tribute to Hayden which took place on 12/4/06.<<

Thank you Dale for this beautifully detailed (and accurate) article, and thank you Bart for the computer link. I've only had a few minutes to skim this article while at work, but I'll read it in liesure when I get home. Still I'm already very impressed that Dale took the time to get/record the interviews from those who knew Melissa well at various stages in Melsissa's ballet career. The personal touch of each remembrance and those lovely pictures made this article so full of spirit, as was Ms. Hayden. Very nicely done!

#63 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

It is indeed a very nicely done article :) but (and this is clear from the full version if not the quote) the interviews were the "show," so to speak: the article is a report on a seminar held in Hayden's honor, and the dancers quoted were the guests at the seminar.

#64 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

I just wanted to pay my respects, even if delayed, to the late grand dame Mme. Melissa Hayden :tiphat: ,whose presence and trayectory within the ballet world turns to be very special for us cubans being her, back in Havana in 1948, among the brave members to assume the non easy task of founding a small new ballet company to be named Ballet Nacional de Cuba.
R.I.P Mme. Hayden. :bow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):