This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mats Ek's "Cain et Abel"

Mats Ek created his ballet "Cain et Abel" in 1982. For the fact that I am prepearing a lecture series on the Old Testament in ballet, I would be very interested in more informations about this work by Ek. I would also like to get a DVD or video of it. Can anyone give me informations what to do?

With all greetings from Dublin, Volkmar

"Cain and Abel" was indeed created in 1982 and premiered at the Royal Opera House in Stockholm.

I am afraid I cannot be of much help there, but I could give you some suggestions You could get in touch with the company, here is the address:-

Cullberg Ballet, or email:

margareta.wall@riksteatern.se

Riksteatern,

S-145 83 Norsborg.

Sweden

They also have a home page, both in English and Swedish, simply search Altavista for Cullberg Ballet.

Good luck! And if there is anything else I could do, please dont hesitate to ask me. Only sorry to say that I dont know that much about Cullberg Ballet - never been my favorite company - but it might be easier for me to find out from here.

Mats Ek created his ballet "Cain et Abel" in 1982. For the fact that I am prepearing a lecture series on the Old Testament in ballet, I would be very interested in more informations about this work by Ek. I would also like to get a DVD or video of it. Can anyone give me informations what to do?

With all greetings from Dublin, Volkmar

I remember in 1968, Kenneth MacMillan choreographed Cain and Abel to Music by Panufnik(Sinfonia Sacra/Tragic Overture) with designs by Barry Kay.

to fill out the information posted above regarding macmillan's ballet, here's the NYPL listing for the work:

Cain and Abel :Chor: Kenneth MacMillan; mus: Andrzej Panufnik (Sinfonia sacra and Tragic overture); scen: Barry Kay. First perf: Berlin, Deutsche Oper, Nov 11, 1968, Opera Ballet Company.

Dear leonid and rg, thank you for the information about MacMillan's "Cain and Abel"! I will look to find some informations about it and also a vidod or DVD recording.

Cain and Abel were also issues for a ballet choreographes by Marc Antony. Does anyone have some knowlegde about that work?

Cain and Abel were also theme for Mallory Gaudion's "Abel était" from 2003.

With best greetings from currently Nürnberg, Volkmar

The Ballet Russe had a "Cain and Abel" in the 1940s; it was responsible for a friend of mine falling in love with ballet -- but I don't remember the choreographer. I'll try to track it down.

David Lichine was the choreographer, music by Wagner(Rhine Journey from GOTTERDAMERUNG arr. by William McDermott) designed by Miguel Prieto first performed 8 March 1946 at the Palacio de la Bellas Artes, Mexico City. Cain was played by Kenneth MacKenzie Abel by Oleg Tupine. Good and Evil were danced

by Carlotta Pereyra and April Olrich. The casting of April Olrich(who later danced with the Sadlers Wells Ballet) when the ballet reached New York caused a minor scandal as she danced sexily and was barely aged 14.

I asked, he answered:

"David Lichine's "Cain and Abel" for the De Basil Ballet Russe .... Lichine used Wagner music (Siegfried's Rhine Journey and Death) and pretty much undressed the characters. Kenneth MacKenzie was Cain (the main role) and Oleg Tupine was Abel; April Olrich and Carlota Pereyra were Good and Evil (or the other way round); there was also quite a birth scene for Eve and the twins. New York critics fired at it the way they did at Bejart later, but it was a success elsewhere. ..."

Volkmar, we've gone far from your original query, and I can't help at all on a video or DVD. But I hope it will be useful for you to know there are several versions. Biblical stories were once a ballet repertory staple -- and I think partly because the choreographers could count on the audience to know the stories.