This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

According to the Amazon website last year's documentary, Ballets Russes, is headed for DVD release on Sept. 12. I did not see it during the theatrical release, such as it was in Los Angeles. Hope to enjoy it as much as everyone else did!

PHENBY

If you can't wait, or you live outside the U.S.A.: "Ballets Russes" will be released in the U.K. (on a PAL "R2" DVD) a little earlier, on the 21st of August 2006. See amazon.co.uk.

Tyler.

(*) Disclaimer: Please be careful if you try to order a DVD from a foreign country, it may not necessarily work with your equipment.

PAL R2 will work with most computers, but as a region 2 release, will force US/Canada users to switch the software to R2, and most software will allow only four switches in total, before locking onto a region. I seem to remember that I purchased two different software packages on my old PC, and set each to a different region, but I haven't been able to find alternate software for my Mac, and have given up on R2 disks.

PAL R2 will work with most computers, but as a region 2 release, will force US/Canada users to switch the software to R2, and most software will allow only four switches in total, before locking onto a region. I seem to remember that I purchased two different software packages on my old PC, and set each to a different region, but I haven't been able to find alternate software for my Mac, and have given up on R2 disks.

In this respect, life definitely seems to be easier in a PAL territory -- all you really need to worry about is getting a multi-region DVD player, and you're probably OK. Most recently manufactured PAL TVs will usually cope with an NTSC signal OK, as long as the DVD player is OK with the region. Most PAL DVD players have an option to force a PAL signal output, even for an NTSC disc.

There is software available which can usually make one's computer effectively region-free, and would probably help you with your difficulties with R2 discs on your Mac. But the same software can potentially be used for other purposes, which are likely to be considered less compatible with the forum rules.

With regard to the computers locking you into a region: It's not just the software, many of the DVD drives themselves will lock you in after four switches. Some people used to buy two DVD drives for their Apple Powerbooks, and swap them! Usually, if the hardware does this, you can send it in for repair, and they can give you another few switches to get out of the mess you're in, but even the service people can't do this for you any more than a couple of times.

So, unless you know that your equipment can play a foreign DVD, be careful. If you try to use it in a computer, you can eventually lock yourself out of the rest of your DVD collection, as far as that particular computer is concerned. Usually the computer will prompt you before it tries to switch region, and tell you how many switches you have left. If in doubt, take the disc out and "just say no".

Tyler.

(I know I'm getting a little off-topic here, but hopefully the following information is of value to someone.)

This looks like a useful example webpage for those of you in North America who just want a DVD player which you can hook up to your TV, and use to play any DVD (PAL DVDs included):

DVDoverseas.com

They are a U.S.A.-based company who sell DVD players with built-in PAL to NTSC conversion. You could look at the model numbers and shop locally for the same models, but be sure to check with the salespeople that it will do what you want. (These people might be in the business of performing their own modifications to the DVD players, to give them their multi-region/multi-system capability.)

Tyler.

There is a foolproof way to transfer PAL to NTSC and vice versa. Nero allows you to do this. Here goes:

When usin Nero 7 to convert a DVD(or video file) from PAL to NTSC use Nero Vision. When you load Nero Vision choose Make DVD - DVD Video, then import your DVD or add your Video files. When you have done that select Next and create a menu or leave a menu out, your choice. What you need to do now is click on "More" down on the bottom of the Nero Vision menu and select "Video Options". Here you can select NTSC as your video mode. There are other options here you can select to your liking. Having done that select next - next and burn the result to a DVD -/+R.

Warning: the PAL to NTSC process on Nero takes a long time, especially on my small laptop. But it's worth it, because the software was about $70 but it's solved the "what do I do when something's available in Europe but I want it NOW!!!" issue. The NeroVision program also allows you to create chapters and also do some minor video editting.

For Ballet Talkers in Region 2 (UK, Europe, Japan**, Middle East, Egypt, Greenland, and South Africa, according to the Dance Books UK site), those with all-region DVD players, or those who can follow the instructions above, Ballet Russes is now available for Region 2 from the UK:

Dance Books UK 17,99 GBP

amazon.co.uk is taking pre-orders at 14,99 GBP for announced release on 21 Aug.

**No details on PAL vs. NTSC.

I watched this DVD this weekend and it was not about Diaghilev and his company. Rather, it was about the B.R. of Monte Carlo and the Original B.R., which were formed after B.R. folded. Still, the DVD was wonderful. The ballerinas were insightful and charming. I would have liked to see more about Messrs. Zorith and Franklin.

Interestingly, the dancers made no money. Ballet made no money. These boards complain about empty seats at the ABT's Met season, and salary problems. I am curious to know if ticket sales were the problem back then, or if the costs of sets and productions caused financial problems. In other words, was the problem revenue or expense or both, and is that still the problem today? Did the absence of sets or fancy costumes in Mr. B's ballets impact the financial results of the NYCB?