This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Seh-Yun Kim

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 12:24 PM

Seh-Yun Kim danced Gamzatti in the Universal Ballet's "La Bayadere" here the other night. She must be quite young -- I'd estimate between 21 and 23, as she graduated from the Kirov Academy (also in D.C., and a feeder school to the Universal Ballet) a few years ago. I saw that performance (as "Giselle") and while I thought she was very nice, I was in no way prepared for the performance she gave as Gamzatti.

Quite simply, I have never seen a dancer so young perform at that level. Unfortunately, that was the only role she was listed to do here, or I'd be down there now, watching her. I can't describe her adequately after seeing her in one role -- tall, slender, very measured technique: that could describe a dozen dancers. The dancer she reminded me the most of was the POB etoile Elisabeth Platel -- she has not only a similar body, but the same calm and gracious persona.

The Gamzatti was not only beautifully danced -- she outshown Nikya and was the performance's ballerina -- but beautifully acted. She was, throughout, a wronged Princess, not a woman scorned in a love affair that went sour (closer to the original intention, I think).

#2 glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 03:29 PM

I saw Seh-Yun Kim as both Aurora and Shim Chung last year when Univeral Ballet visited The Chicago Lyric Opera House.

Amazed by her beauty, poise and smooth technique, I had the feeling she would become a world class Ballerina.

From your report Alexandra, it seems to be coming true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):