This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Seh-Yun Kim

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 12:24 PM

Seh-Yun Kim danced Gamzatti in the Universal Ballet's "La Bayadere" here the other night. She must be quite young -- I'd estimate between 21 and 23, as she graduated from the Kirov Academy (also in D.C., and a feeder school to the Universal Ballet) a few years ago. I saw that performance (as "Giselle") and while I thought she was very nice, I was in no way prepared for the performance she gave as Gamzatti.

Quite simply, I have never seen a dancer so young perform at that level. Unfortunately, that was the only role she was listed to do here, or I'd be down there now, watching her. I can't describe her adequately after seeing her in one role -- tall, slender, very measured technique: that could describe a dozen dancers. The dancer she reminded me the most of was the POB etoile Elisabeth Platel -- she has not only a similar body, but the same calm and gracious persona.

The Gamzatti was not only beautifully danced -- she outshown Nikya and was the performance's ballerina -- but beautifully acted. She was, throughout, a wronged Princess, not a woman scorned in a love affair that went sour (closer to the original intention, I think).

#2 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 03:29 PM

I saw Seh-Yun Kim as both Aurora and Shim Chung last year when Univeral Ballet visited The Chicago Lyric Opera House.

Amazed by her beauty, poise and smooth technique, I had the feeling she would become a world class Ballerina.

From your report Alexandra, it seems to be coming true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):