This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Inclusion

Chance to Dance looks great in every way. It is meeting general needs as well as having a certain percentage of dancers coming out of the other end. There are lessons to be learned there for sure. As usual, the devil is in the details, and as usual Helene helps us get a grasp of the finer points. The pathway from school to company is a very specialized one tailored to the individual context. The pathways remain much murkier for far longer in the US it seems. I wonder specifically how Helene or others would see this translating into the workings of such outreach programs in the US. I'm thinking here of, for ex., similarities and differences between PNB's Dance Chance and the Royal's Chance to Dance...

I was also happy to see bart's thoughtful recommendations on the maturity and goodwill needed on both or maybe all sides. It's necessary if we are to tackle inclusion problems head on. I too hope we are up to the task. The number of explicit actions taken in the example of Arthur Mitchell's case (in the link given at the end of Leonid's post) is typical of the 70s style activism that created real change leading to a career and ultimately a company for Mr. Mitchell.

Like bart, I think a lot of well intentioned programs unfortunately had undesirable and unintended consequences. I also think sometimes 'diversity training' was a response to potential legal threats that may never have been more than lip service to begin with. This also accounts for a certain percentage of the failures. That's why with guidance and goodwill, insider experts can do as much or more than outside trainers to advance the atmosphere from within. We can learn from some of the mistakes of the past as well.

Obviously this will play itself out a little differently in the 21st Century than in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but the essential ingredients in terms of attitude and willingness remain the same.

We have already come up with numerous strategies, and I look forward to more examples to come.

Another bump here. After seeing a lovely Sugar Plum pas with a Latino Cavalier and an African American Sugar Plum recently, I was wondering if anyone has had any concrete results or any other experiences with any of these efforts at inclusion.

Has anyone else seen such diverse casting in their local Nutcrackers?

Just curious.