This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB's new website

I tried online sales this morning, but it is just like last season: no selection process is in effect.

Are you surprised?

You've got it, Klavier! But I was a little bit surprised this morning, the first day of Box Office sales, and of "availabilty" info for web sales. Of course, no seat selection on site. Except that availability does tell you if you cannot buy in a given section. It is NOT even as good as last season, when the little shaded-in 0's gave some sense of how near a given section was to being filled. Hence, ...

The line was nice and long at the NYST. Even one little folding chair for whomever was most elderly. The ticket sellers were efficient, even prompting "Thank you's", and when I left, some Lincoln (a/k/a Balanchine) week (where you are not locked into that catastrophic "theme" stuff), Union Jack, and Jewels safely in pocket, the line was still the same length. Hard to get close to centered already.

I was excited and surprised that after attempting to buy tkts for Apr. 25th on line in a specific section and showing a sign 'sold out', I called and got the section and seats that I was looking for! Not sure what that is all about. I am one who needs to know where my seats are located.

It pays to be a registered website user, as this just-received e-mail suggests. One concern, however. This week has the best programming of the entire season. Has the quality of some of their Balanchine casting/performances so turned away audiences for the founder's work that they've got to discount all-Balanchine shows? Poor Mr. Martins will have to create Manon in Denmark for next season...

NYCB 2007 Spring Season Begins

Our 2007 Spring Season begins in just a few days, and we would like to welcome you back with an invitation just for NYCB Registered Users.

During this upcoming season, we're paying homage to the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Company Co-Founder, Lincoln Kirstein. In tribute, our six opening performances feature 10 extraordinary works by George Balanchine in his signature black and white style.

You can enjoy $60 seats in the Orchestra or $40 seats in the Third Ring for performances on Friday, April 27 at 8 pm and Saturday, April 28 at 2 pm and 8 pm. That's more than 25% off the regular ticket price!

We hope that you'll join us as we honor Lincoln Kirstein with three unforgettable programs on the first weekend of our 2007 Spring Season.

Friday, April 27 at 8 pm

For Lincoln: Program 4

Square Dance

Pavane

Episodes

Symphony in C

Saturday, April 28 at 2 pm

For Lincoln: Program 5

Apollo

Episodes

The Four Temperaments

Saturday, April 28 at 8 pm

For Lincoln: Program 6

Apollo

Agon

Symphony in C

There is a limit of 4 tickets per registrated user, per performance and seating is limited, so order today! Click HERE to take advantage of this special opportunity.

New York City Ballet looks forward to welcoming you to the New York State Theater this season.

It pays to be a registered website user, as this just-received e-mail suggests. One concern, however. This week has the best programming of the entire season. Has the quality of some of their Balanchine casting/performances so turned away audiences for the founder's work that they've got to discount all-Balanchine shows? Poor Mr. Martins will have to create Manon in Denmark for next season...
NYCB 2007 Spring Season Begins

Our 2007 Spring Season begins in just a few days, and we would like to welcome you back with an invitation just for NYCB Registered Users.

During this upcoming season, we're paying homage to the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Company Co-Founder, Lincoln Kirstein. In tribute, our six opening performances feature 10 extraordinary works by George Balanchine in his signature black and white style.

You can enjoy $60 seats in the Orchestra or $40 seats in the Third Ring for performances on Friday, April 27 at 8 pm and Saturday, April 28 at 2 pm and 8 pm. That's more than 25% off the regular ticket price!

We hope that you'll join us as we honor Lincoln Kirstein with three unforgettable programs on the first weekend of our 2007 Spring Season.

Friday, April 27 at 8 pm

For Lincoln: Program 4

Square Dance

Pavane

Episodes

Symphony in C

Saturday, April 28 at 2 pm

For Lincoln: Program 5

Apollo

Episodes

The Four Temperaments

Saturday, April 28 at 8 pm

For Lincoln: Program 6

Apollo

Agon

Symphony in C

There is a limit of 4 tickets per registrated user, per performance and seating is limited, so order today! Click HERE to take advantage of this special opportunity.

New York City Ballet looks forward to welcoming you to the New York State Theater this season.

This might be disappointing to those who have already paid full price. May next time those people will just wait and see! Also the full publicity push has been for R&J. Management hasn't been working hard to sell the "For Lincoln" tickets.

Management hasn't been working hard to sell the "For Lincoln" tickets.
You'd think they wouldn't have to.

To avoid confusion and further disappointment, please note my added emphasis:

. . .

There is a limit of 4 tickets per registrated [sic] user, per performance and seating is limited, so order today! Click HERE to take advantage of this special opportunity.

I assume all "registrated" users of NYCBallet.com received this message in their e-mail. Unfortunately, the offer was not extended to the public at large.

What an amazing excersize in incompentence this website is. Sunday I ordered my tickets for Mark Morris's Mozart Dances from Lincoln Center's site. So easy, exact seat location choices for the NYS Theater given, purchased, and here in Tuesday's mail. For NYCB: When I'd learned the casting for R+J I decided to avoid a trip to BO and use NYCB's site. Of course still no choice except section. I gambled (all ballerinas must be seen).

The site claimed, despite my being registered for years, it didn't know which state or province NY was in. Being sent to my stuff on their site, the state was, of course, there. I filled it in anyway. Many cycles after, I rereg'd (had to use a different e address) and it finally sold me the ticket. But it used my original address (I'd had to alter that a bit so I wouldn't "already" exist) and claimed it needed my phone number (of course, there, in both registrations). After more hassles, it finally agreed to allow me to attend. Indeed, the ticket's here. I hope they let me in.

Even the parts that work are behind countries around the world, where many show you videos to help you decide what you'd want to see, and let you see their dancers dancing, a help in selecting casts. Nina's Georgia will even show you a 3-D picture of their theater to help you select your seats!

Also, do you dare check NYCB's site at night when people (even neighbors) are sleeping? Pretty music, but loud, and it takes a bit of time to find the way to turn the sound off. Well, at least the dancers can really dance.

One bit of getting it right: Kristin Sloan's work on the R+J vids. Maybe she should retire and take over the site. Or the company. But NO! She's just been too beautiful in these R+J's.

From Carol Landers: "In all probability, online seat selection for repertory will become available sometime in 2007. However, it is unclear whether it will or will not become available for George Balanchine's The Nutracker."

NutcrackerTM is now being sold on the site:

Individual seat selection is not an option. Seats are assigned by the Box Office.

In all probability...

Even the parts that work are behind countries around the world, where many show you videos to help you decide what you'd want to see, and let you see their dancers dancing, a help in selecting casts.

NYCB's stinginess with video makes no sense to me--they and the Balanchine Foundation seem geared to making sure as few people as possible actually see any Balanchine. (Even in the State Theater lobby, NYCB plays the 1970s/Dance in America tapes!) Judging by the alarmingly small crowd at the gala evening the other night at Saratoga, their work seems to be paying off...

(Even in the State Theater lobby, NYCB plays the 1970s/Dance in America tapes!)

The last time I was there I was delighted to see fuzz on those screens. I've never been to a concert -- classical, jazz, or pop -- where before the show they played tapes of the same outfit I'd come to hear. In the same way, I want "Apollo" to a special occasion, not the background to buying tickets.

NYCB's stinginess with video makes no sense to me--they and the Balanchine Foundation seem geared to making sure as few people as possible actually see any Balanchine. (Even in the State Theater lobby, NYCB plays the 1970s/Dance in America tapes!) Judging by the alarmingly small crowd at the gala evening the other night at Saratoga, their work seems to be paying off...
Still better than ABT's website, which offers no description of its ballets beyond the written word. At least NYCB gives a moment musical for most of its pieces. To find a photo of a ballet at ABT.org, you have to trip over it by accident while browsing through the site.
Is that really fair to the dancers who may, at the very moment, be preparing to dance the same works? They don't have the luxury of multiple takes and an expert editor, and we in the audience don't have the luxury of shifting point of view.
Is that really fair to the dancers who may, at the very moment, be preparing to dance the same works? They don't have the luxury of multiple takes and an expert editor, and we in the audience don't have the luxury of shifting point of view.

Just to be clear, my complaint is that the videos they show are too old (as great as they are), not that they should or shouldn't be showing video. I agree that it may be unfair to broadcast the work of some legendary performer as we go in, perhaps, to see the new kid on the block tackle the same role! Again, though, I'm all for showing more rather than less. Those of us who know what we're seeing will compare--perhaps harshly!--even without seeing a video; those who don't may be inspired to buy another ticket. I guess my larger point is that of all the arts, ballet could really get more out of exploiting the latest visual technologies.