This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Race, Culture and Ballet

well, Sander O and kfw, it's not simple; remember the hatred Raven Wilkinson described so vividly, coming towards her from other African-Americans --

I don't think they were suggesting that it is simple, or to discount the complexity of Wilkinson's situation. ( I doubt that social pressure alone would have deflected Wilkinson from her goals -- the institutionalized discrimination she faced was a much more significant threat to them.)

:P There was a time I would have made a lengthy reply to this thread. That time is over. I no longer hold out hope that the American ballet community will become a non-race conscious meritocracy anytime soon enough to make a practical difference in the lives of dancers and companies I currently care about. Having said that, I would love to be proven wrong!

I continue to hope that in some future time, this will become the conventional reality. These days, however, that's all the time and energy I am willing to devote to this. You live, and you learn.

I would highly recommend Wilkinson's Ballet Review interview to anyone with serious interest on this topic. It is clear, nuanced and frank.