This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Unknown Dancer Challenge

Lovebird

Interesting question -- thank you for raising it.

I don't know much about them, but I've seen most of these dancers.

Irina Tchistyakova - Kirov, I believe

Tatyana Goumba - Bolshoi (but I'm not sure about that smile.gif )

Steffi Scherzer - I have a very vague memory of her as an East German ballerina and a Varna medal winner from the late 1970s? But I never saw her and don't know anything else about her.

Liliana Cosi - ballerina of La Scala and guest artist, I think, with London Festival Ballet in the 1970s. I saw her at a gala ("Italian Ballet Gala" in Washington in the early 1980s, but the memory is vague and I couldn't describe her. My impression is that she's the Giselle/Juliet type; at least at this gala, she did nightgown rather than tutu numbers.

Marnee Morris - a soloist with New York City Ballet in the 1960s and early '70s. She created a role in "Who Cares" and (again, I think smile.gif ) "Symphony in 3 Movements."

Claire Motte - Paris Opera Ballet etoile from the 1960s. There's a photo of her in one of Serge Lido books where she's standing, back to back, with Claude Bessy; they could be twins.

Anissa Curbelo -- never heard of her. Who is she?

Has anyone seen these dancers and could tell more about them? Jeannie will know your two Russians, I'm sure smile.gif

I don't know if she still is there, but a few years ago Steffi Scherzer was a principal dancer of the Berlin Staatsoper.

Claire Motte was born in 1937 and was a POB principal between 1960 and 1977, premiering several works by Lifar and also the role of Esmeralda in Petit's "Notre-Dame de Paris"; after her retirement she taught and was one of the ballet masters of the POB, but she died in 1986 from cancer. She was married with Mario Bois (who wrote a verrry gossipy book about Nureyev) and had two sons.

I've found the following photographs of her:

http://ibelgique.ifrance.com/rmuller/sieff...nse/page_03.htm

http://ibelgique.ifrance.com/rmuller/sieff/danse/page_02.htm

Some photographs taken by Jean-Loup Sieff in 1960.

http://www.multimania.com/pif/lifar.htm

Motte and Lifar in 1977.

You're welcome, Lovebird. smile.gif

How did you become an admirer of those dancers? Did you see all of them perform?

I hadn't heard about Anissa Curbelo before, but did an web search with google and found that she was dancing with the Ballet of Cuba. I found the following review of a performance in France last year, with a small photograph of Anissa Curbelo

in "La fille mal gardée":

http://www.imagidanse.com/francais/presse/...allet_cuba.html

Estelle,Anissa Curbelo is a principal soloist of the Cuban National Ballet and she is a wonderful dancer.I saw her in Coppelia and the Swan Lake pas de trois.I have seen all of these dancers perform except for Marnee Morris and Liliana Cosi,who I know because she wrote a children's book on ballet which Itook out of the library.I know about Morris from Merrill Ashley's autobiography "Dancing for Balanchine"I believe she was known as a good turning person,she was also tall and given tall girl roles.She created roles in Who Cares? and quite a few other Balanchine ballets.By the way,Tatyana Goumba is not from the Bolshoi.

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Lovebird ]

In "Who Cares," Marnee Morris danced "Embraceable You" with Jacques d'Amboise. She also had a solo to "My One and Only." Alexandra is correct that Morris was in the original cast of "Symphony in 3 Movements." She was also in the first cast of "Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3" in which she danced the scherzo with John Clifford. And she was a "maiden" in the original cast of Balanchine's "Don Quixote." Besides the roles she originated, Morris was a notable Siren, Dewdrop, Hippolyta, Calliope and Polyhymnia.