This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nikita Dogulshin

Alexandra

Ilya mentioned on another thread that Nikita Dogulshin danced at a gala in Russia. To many Americans, he is one of the Great Lost Dancers -- we never got to see him, and he "left" the Kirov and was sent to a theater outside (then) Leningrad. I've seen a film of his staging of Paquita for a small company in Russia and thought it excellent, and I thought he was mentioned as one of the advisers at the Maryinsky.

Makarova mentions him quite affectionately in her book, and the photos make him look fascinating. Can anyone tell more about him? What you saw him dance, and what he's doing now?

i have only seen him on video, both long ago and recent, and was very impressed with him. the library in new york has a fair amount of video of him. i was under the impression that at least recently, he had toured with a group of young dancers here to the u.s. maybe another reader will have more information?

I saw him dance about 8 years ago. He came with a small pick up group called "Stars of the Kirov", which perhaps should have been called "former stars of the Kirov"- everyone was so well past their prime. Dolgushin performed his own choreography which basically consisted of him sort of "floating" around the stage and periodically lying down (at the time I assumed to rest). Also he was wearing a green unitard and cape. I really wish I hadn't seen him like that.

This could be wrong but I heard that he was teaching men's classes at the Vaganova in addition to his job at the Conservatory.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Roma ]

Dolgushin travels quite a bit, teaching and staging ballets. He was in New Orleans last summer for the Diaghilev Conference, where he taught portions of Fokine's 'Pavillon d'Armide,' a ballet that he has revived, in toto, at the St. Petersburg Conservatory.