This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2006 City Center season announcement, schedule

From the company:

WORLD PREMIERE OF NEW WORK BY JORMA ELO

TO HIGHLIGHT ABT’S FALL SEASON

AT NEW YORK CITY CENTER,

OCTOBER 18-NOVEMBER 5, 2006

Revivals of Twyla Tharp’s Sinatra Suite, George Balanchine’s Symphonie Concertante, Lar Lubovitch’s Meadow and Mark Morris’ Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes Scheduled

6/26/2006 - The World Premiere of a new work by Jorma Elo and Revivals of Twyla Tharp’s Sinatra Suite, George Balanchine’s Symphonie Concertante, Lar Lubovitch’s Meadow and Mark Morris’ Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s 2006 Fall season at New York City Center, October 18 through November 5, 2006.

Principal Dancers for the engagement include Maxim Beloserkovsky, Irina Dvorovenko, Jose Manuel Carreño, Angel Corella, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, Paloma Herrera, David Hallberg, Julie Kent, Gillian Murphy, Xiomara Reyes, Ethan Stiefel and Michele Wiles.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2006 Fall Season at City Center will kick off with an Opening Night Gala at 6:30pm featuring ABT’s Principal Dancers in selections of the season’s works.

Countrywide Financial is the National Sponsor of American Ballet Theatre, CA, Inc. is the Leading Sponsor of ABT's 2006 Family Initiative and Saks Fifth Avenue is the Leading Sponsor of ABT's Costume Fund. ABT’s 2006 City Center season is also made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. (more)

World Premiere

The World Premiere of a new work by Jorma Elo is scheduled for Thursday evening, October 19 at 7:30 p.m. A former dancer with Finnish National Ballet, Netherlands Dance Theater and Cullberg Ballet, Elo is currently Resident Choreographer at Boston Ballet. The new Elo work will be given six performances during the City Center season.

Revival Premieres

Twyla Tharp’s Sinatra Suite, a ballet for two dancers, will have its Revival Premiere on Thursday evening, October 19. Set to five songs by Frank Sinatra, Sinatra Suite features costumes by Oscar de la Renta and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. The ballet, last performed by ABT in 1984, is a suite of dances from Tharp’s Nine Sinatra Songs, created in 1982 for the Twyla Tharp Dance Company. Sinatra Suite received its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere in Washington, DC in 1983. The ballet will be staged for ABT by Elaine Kudo.

George Balanchine’s Symphonie Concertante will have its Revival Premiere on Friday evening, October 20 at City Center. Set to Mozart’s Sinfonia Concertante in E flat Major for Violin and Viola, Symphonie Concertante was created in 1947 for Ballet Society and received its American Ballet Theatre Premiere in 1983. The ballet features costumes by Theoni V. Aldredge and lighting by David K.H. Elliott. Symphonie Concertante , which was last performed by ABT in 1999, will be staged for ABT by Susan Jones and Susan Pilarre.

Mark Morris’ Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes, last performed by ABT in 1998, will have its Revival Premiere on Tuesday evening, October 24. Staged by Tina Fehlandt, the ballet for twelve dancers is set to the music of Virgil Thomson and features costumes by Santo Loquasto. Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes was given its World Premiere by ABT in 1988. An excerpt of the ballet was given its first performance at the Dancing For Life benefit at the New York State Theater in 1987.

A revival of Lar Lubovitch’s Meadow is scheduled for its premiere on Tuesday evening, October 24. Set to music by Franz Schubert, Gavin Bryars, Ferruccio Busoni and William David Brohn, with costumes by Ann Hould-Ward, Meadow received its World Premiere by ABT in 1999. Following its Revival Premiere, the ballet will be given four performances.

Returning Repertory

American Ballet Theatre’s 2006 City Center season will also feature performances of Kurt Jooss’ The Green Table, Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo, Jerome Robbins’ Afternoon of a Faun and Fancy Free, Twyla Tharp’s In The Upper Room, Antony Tudor’s Dark Elegies, and Stanton Welch’s Clear.

Kurt Jooss’ The Green Table (A Dance of Death in 8 Scenes), staged by Anna Markard, was given its Company Premiere last season at City Center. Inspired by World War I and its aftermath, The Green Table is set to music by Frederick Cohen with costumes by Hein Heckroth, and lighting and masks by Hermann Markard. The Green Table was given its World Premiere by Jooss Ballet in Paris in 1932 with the choreographer portraying the role of Death. The Green Table will be given five performances this season beginning Thursday evening, October 19.

Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo, which was revived for ABT’s 2005 City Center season, will be given four performances this season beginning Saturday, October 21 matinee. Set to music by Aaron Copland with scenery by Oliver Smith and costumes by Santo Loquasto, Rodeo, subtitled The Courting at Burnt Ranch, was given its World Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House by the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo in 1942. It was first presented by Ballet Theatre in 1950 in Wiesbaden, Germany. The 2005 revival of Rodeo was staged for ABT by Paul Sutherland with assistance from Christine Sarry.

Antony Tudor’s Dark Elegies will be given two performances at City Center, Thursday evening, November 2 and Saturday evening, November 4. The ballet is set to music by Gustav Mahler, with scenery and costumes by Nadia Benois and lighting by Jean Rosenthal. Dark Elegies received its World Premiere by Ballet Rambert in 1937 and was first presented by Ballet Theatre in 1940. ABT’s current production of the Tudor ballet was staged by Donald Mahler.

Two works by Jerome Robbins will be presented by ABT this season. Afternoon of a Faun, which received its Company Premiere at City Center in 2005, will be given four performances beginning Thursday evening, October 26. Set to music by Claude Debussy, with costumes by Irene Sharaff and décor and lighting by Jean Rosenthal, Afternoon of a Faun was given its World Premiere by New York City Ballet at City Center in 1953. ABT’s production of Afternoon of a Faun was staged by Jean-Pierre Frohlich.

Robbins’ Fancy Free, last performed by ABT in 2003, will be given four performances beginning Thursday evening, October 26. Staged by Jean-Pierre Frohlich, Fancy Free is set to music by Leonard Bernstein, with scenery by Oliver Smith, costumes by Kermit Love and lighting by Jennifer Tipton, after original designs by Nananne Porcher. Fancy Free was created for American Ballet Theatre and received its World Premiere in 1944.

Twyla Tharp’s In The Upper Room will have six performances at City Center beginning Tuesday evening, October 24. Set to music by Philip Glass with costumes by Norma Kamali and lighting by Jennifer Tipton, the ballet received its World Premiere by Twyla Tharp Dance in 1986 and its ABT Company Premiere in 1988. ABT’s current production of In The Upper Room was staged by Keith Roberts.

Stanton Welch’s Clear will be given four performances beginning Thursday evening, October 26. Last performed by ABT in 2003, Clear is set to music by Johann Sebastian Bach with costumes by Michael Kors for Celine. Clear was given its World Premiere by ABT at City Center in 2001.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2006 Fall season at City Center, priced from $26-$93, go on sale beginning Monday, July 17 by mail, online, or by calling CityTix at 212-581-1212. Discounts are available for packages of three or more performances. The box office will open Sunday, August 27. City Center is located at West 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues in New York City.

=========

Schedule to follow this post.

Here's the schedule (typed out by me, so mind the typos):

October 18, Wednesday, 6:30pm

Opening Night Gala

October 19, Thursday, 7:30pm

New Elo Work

Sinatra Suite

Pas de Deux

The Green Table

October 20, Friday 8pm

Symphonie concertante

Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes

In the Upper Room

October 21, Saturday 2pm

Symphonie concertante

Rodeo

October 21, Saturday 8pm

New Elo Work

Pas de Deux

Sinatra Suite

Rodeo

October 22, Sunday 2pm

Pas de Deux

The Green Table

October 24 Tuesday 7:30pm

Meadow

In the Upper Room

October 25, Wednesday 7:30pm

Symphonie Concertante

New Elo Work

The Green Table

October 26 Thursday 7:30pm

Clear

Afternoon of a Faun

Sinatra Suite

Fancy Free

October 27 Friday 8pm

New Elo Work

Meadow

Rodeo

October 28 Saturday 2pm

Clear

Afternoon of a Faun

Pas de Deux

Fancy Free

October 28 Saturday 8pm

Symphonie Concertante

Meadow

In the Upper Room

October 29 Sunday 2pm

New Elo Work

Afternoon of a Faun

Sinatra Suite

Rodeo

October 31 Tuesday 7:30pm

Symphonie Concertante

New Elo Work

The Green Table

November 1 Wednesday 7:30pm

Clear

In the Upper Room

November 2 Thursday 7:30pm

Symphonie Concertante

Dark Elegies

In the Upper Room

November 3 Friday 8pm

Clear

Afternoon of a Faun

Pas de Deux

Fancy Free

November 4 Saturday 2pm

New Elo Work

Meadow

The Green Table

November 4 Saturday 8pm

Dark Elegies

Fancy Free

November 5 Sunday 2pm

Clear

Meadow

In the Upper Room

So good to see Stiefel's back! But no Nina Ananiashvili....?

Just noticed the season's also up at ABT's site, and is linked to ticket purchasing. So few good seats at City Center---I learned my lesson last year waiting for casting and the box office to open. With many fine programs this is definitely a "July 17th" season!

It just occurred to me that we will get to see a new Cowgirl :) since Erica Cornejo will be gone :) . An exciting prospect. Nominations? Isn't there a publicity photo of Misty Copeland and David Hallberg in the costumes? She was the first person I was going to suggest. Other names: Jennifer Alexander, Sasha Dmochowski or Adrienne Schulte. Kristi Boone if a tall girl is okay—she's a good R&J harlot (I know that doesn't sound like a compliment).

I figured it might be time to start thinking about the winter season so I just went to the City Center website and was shocked to see that the night of November 1st is already listed as sold out. Tickets haven't even gone on sale yet, what's up with that? The program is Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes, Clear, and In The Upper Room. Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?

I saw that shortly after Dale posted the announcement. :D

My * *GUESS* * is that some group is holding a benefit and will return unsold tickets as the date nears. Re-emphasizing: a * *GUESS* * -- and a hope, because I'm waiting to see casting before I buy tickets.

Web and phone sales are now on. If you don't like the specific seats offered to you by their site, the phone service will allow you to be specific re row, or centering, in particular. Terribly important for City Center. Also will give you the multi-performance discount. 212-581-1212

See you there!

Web and phone sales are now on. If you don't like the specific seats offered to you by their site, the phone service will allow you to be specific re row, or centering, in particular. Terribly important for City Center.

What whould you say the best seats in City Center are?

I normally try to get orchestra row E-F as close to the center as possible, but I wonder if I'm missing something here.

Thanks in advance!

I have a friend who always requests the back row. That way, she can sit on the unopened seat and see over the heads in front of her (which are a problem in 98% of Mezzanine and Grand Tier seats) without obstructing the view of anyone behind her.

I have my own choice seats in the Rear Mezzanine (cheapest section) which I request by number, but I ain't tellin' which ones. :clapping:

Ever!

I normally try to get orchestra row E-F as close to the center as possible, but I wonder if I'm missing something here.
No matter where you sit, you're missing something. I'd rather see the "whole picture" as a rule. I like to be elevated at least a level or two above the stage.

If you have the option, maybe it would be interesting to experiment with different locations. This may make some tickets ineligible for the multi-performance discount.

The discount, for those who qualify, is also available in person at the box office. :thumbsup: That $ave$ you the handling fee.

Received in yesterday's mail another brochure for ABT's City Center season. The cover has Marcelo Gomes and Julie Kent in "Meadow." The delight, though, is the full page spread showing Herman Cornejo in "Sinatra Suite!" Cornejo's face has a youthful Sinatra-ish look to it. The brochure has no hints as to who will be his partner. There are also some great and glamorous new headshots of the principals - especially Gomes, Corella and Dvorovenko.

ABT hasn’t put any casting up on it’s website yet, but they’ve announced some limited casting in their ad in Sunday’s NY Times. For out of towners, or those of us who get all our news online these days, here’s what they’ve released (please excuse any typos):

The Green Table - Hallberg 10/19, 10/25, 10/31

Stappas 10/22 mat, 11/4 mat

Symphonie Concertante - 10/28, 10/31 tba

Kent, tba, Herrera 10/20

Wiles,Gomes,Part 10/21 mat,,

Wiles,Beloserkovsky,Part 10/25

tba, Beloserkovsky, Murphy 11/2

Rodeo - Reyes, Radetsky,Matthews 10/21 mat

Butler, Salstein,Stappas 10/21

Reyes, Radetsky,Stappas 10/27 Butler, Salstein, Matthews 10/29 mat

Meadow - Kent, Gomes 10/24

Abrera, Hallberg 10/27, 11/5 mat

tba, Gomes 10/28

Clear- Kent, Gomes 10/26, 11/1, 11/5

Reyes, tba 10/28 mat, 11/3

Afternoon of a Faun - Abrera, Stiefel 10/26,10/28 m,

Kent, Carreno- 10/29m

Ricetto, Hallberg 11/3

Sinatra Suite - 10/19,10/21are tba’s

Cornejo, Lane 10/26, 10/29 m

Fancy Free -

Salstein, Radetsky,Carreno, Murphy, Herrera 10/26,10/28m

Cornejo, Stiefel, Gomes, Kent, Abrera 11/3, 11/4

Pas de Deux - Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky 10/19, 10/22m, 10/28, 11/3

Wiles, Gomes 10/21

Herrera, Carreno 10/22 m

That's it so far

Susan

I was really hoping they'd try Misty Copeland in Rodeo, so it's diasappointing to see that she's not cast in it however it's a great break for Marian Butler, an oft overlooked dancer. Also sorry there will be no repeat of the Abrera/Hallberg Faun.

Good news is Sara Lane in Sinatra Suite with Cornejo, and I've already bought tickets to both of Veronika Part's performances in Symphonie Concertante

Susan

I wonder what the pas de deux will be. I've had my fill of Black Swan and Don Q. Unfortunately, I expect to see just that for the Herrera-Carreno pairing, at least. It might be nice to see Dvorovenko and Beloserkovsky do Sleeping Beauty, since I assume they'll be doing that for the Met season.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a Wiles-Hallberg Grand pas Classique, having missed that the first time around. I also would have liked to see Murphy and Beloserkovsky reprise the Ashton pas de deux from Sylvia. Or a Part-Gomes White Swan. Or someone in the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux or Tarantella (Cornejo-Lane?). Slightly fresher chestnuts, please!

Thank you nysusan for typing out the casting. There's still some TBAs on ballets like Elo and the Morris, so maybe we'll see Corella and some others who are missing in those ballets. I'm excited about Part in the Balanchine. I'm guessing she's in Tallchief's part. It's hard to figure out which woman is which.

The casting is up on the ABT website.

I wonder what the pas de deux will be. I've had my fill of Black Swan and Don Q. Unfortunately, I expect to see just that for the Herrera-Carreno pairing, at least.
Based on experience, my money's on Diana & Acteon for Herrera/Carreno. They've made a mini-career out of this. I'd rather see Tchai pas than any of the other "chestnuts", but I don't think it's in Jose's rep.
The casting is up on the ABT website.
:)
Thank you nysusan for typing out the casting.
Yes, indeed! I appreciate all that careful work!

I'm excited about Part in the Balanchine. I'm guessing she's in Tallchief's part. It's hard to figure out which woman is which.
Me, too.

Since they're not listed alphabetically, I assume the second is the viola (Tallchief). Isn't she the one who does the walking adagio at the beginning and then the end of the middle movement?

Thanks everyone for the commentary on City Center season, however speculative. Even when I'm not posting, I'm reading, and I really do look forward to checking in and seeing what people have to say.

A question: when do they typically announce promotions? Could we expect that before the CC season?

NYCB GETS THE SILENT TREATMENT FROM ABT

The September issue of ABT Footnotes, which I received today has a feature on Jorma Elo, whose new work will premiere on October 19. The copy reads, "Moving fluidly from dancer to choreographer, Elo has created new works for Pennsylvania Ballet, Alberta Ballet (Canada), and the Finnish National Ballet. Elo's most recent work includes pieces for Norwegian National Ballet, Ballet Debrezen (Hungary), Stockholm 59 (Soloists of Royal Swedish Ballet), and two premieres for Netherlands Dance Theatre, 1st Flash and Plan to A." There's no mention of the ballet company across Lincoln Center Plaza, where Elo had one of the big hits (although I was unimpressed) of last season's Diamond Project. Kind of childish, wouldn't you say? And speaking of childish, did you know that Congress had passed a resolution recognizing ABT as "America's National Ballet Company?" The news is in the same issue of ABT Footnotes.

Thank you nysusan for typing out the casting.
Yes, indeed! I appreciate all that careful work!

You're welcome. I know some out of towners try to coordinate visits to NY with ABT & NYCB seasons, and waiting for casting can be very frustrating!

BTW - I thought it was strange that Cornejo/Lane were scheduled for the last 2 performances of Sinatra Suite, till I read the posts and realized that Corella isn't included on the schedule. I'll bet he gets the first 2 performances, though it is a little disconcerting to think that his schedule imay not be finalized yet!

Don't know when ABT typically announces promotions, but with all the openings I'm certainly expecting to hear about some before the City Center season