This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Veronika Part

bart

I just came across this video clip of Part and Marcelo Gomes, dancing an excerpt from the pas de deux in Alexei Ratmansky's new Nutcracker. It was danced, in practice clothes, at a Works in Progress demonstration at the Guggenheim.

This video may have been posted on BA before. If so, I apologize. But -- as someone who has only been able to see Part dance once, as Lilac Fairy, and who has wanted to see much more -- I appreciated the chance to experience again , however briefly, the musicality, warmth of her personality and plush velvet quality of her movement. She is, in my book, a real ballerina.

Anyone have an opinion on Ms. Part in the role of Kitri? I will get the chance to see her in three roles this spring, as part of my subscription series. Kitri in Don Q, Nikiya in La Bayadere, and O/O in Swan Lake. Haven't heard much about her Kitri.

Anyone have an opinion on Ms. Part in the role of Kitri? I will get the chance to see her in three roles this spring, as part of my subscription series. Kitri in Don Q, Nikiya in La Bayadere, and O/O in Swan Lake. Haven't heard much about her Kitri.

It was a new role for her last year, so she's only done it once before in NY.

I saw it, and enjoyed it. I'll be going again this time.

She doesn't have the technical explosiveness of some dancers, but she had no issues with her technique in it, and she looked like she was having a lot of fun with it--it showed! No indications of nerves or hesitation.

The dream scene (the most "classical" and thus more what I associate with her) was unsurprisingly gorgeous.

I wonder if there's any reason why all the performances with Ms. Part in major parts (no pun whatsoever) are matinees this season? For me it sadly means that I will miss all her outings, except for Myrtha, since I work and cannot attend ballet during the day.

One or two I would understand, but all? Is ABT management trying to tell us something?

I wonder if there's any reason why all the performances with Ms. Part in major parts (no pun whatsoever) are matinees this season? For me it sadly means that I will miss all her outings, except for Myrtha, since I work and cannot attend ballet during the day.

One or two I would understand, but all? Is ABT management trying to tell us something?

Those were my thoughts exactly. This will be the first time I'm missing her O/O since she joined the company. I'm very upset that I will only be able to see her Bayadere this season and I'm trying not to read anything into this - but its hard not to.

I may take off a half day from work to see her Swan Lake. I wonder what the nature of Stearn's absence is from the D.C. engagement, and whether it will impact casting for the Met season. Stearns is scheduled to be Part's partner for SL.

I will probably miss her Bayadere because they are doing Jewels across the plaza, and I'm already committed to way too many Bayaderes this season - Tereshkina, Smirnova, Cojocaru, Vishneva.

Her Kitri was wonderful last season. The only problem, and it arises again this year, was and will be her partner, who is simply not up to her caliber.

Her Bayadere and her O/O are unsurpassed.

Her Kitri was wonderful last season. The only problem, and it arises again this year, was and will be her partner, who is simply not up to her caliber.

Her Bayadere and her O/O are unsurpassed.

On the other hand I thought her partner last year was good (James Whiteside) and she seemed to have a good rapport with him, which I certainly can't say of Cory Stearns.

I know that many people on this board like James Whiteside, and I suppose I'm in the minority. I find him stiff in the upper body and not classical overall. Stearns, on the other hand, while needing to ramp up his acting, perhaps with some serious coaching, has a beautiful ballet line. He was a sensational actor in The Moor's Pavane, and I had hoped that signaled a positive change. But I agree that he and Veronika do not have a good rapport on stage. I saw them in rehearsal one day and he was very attentive to her, so I don't know what the problem is. In any event, I've heard that Stearns is injured, although I don't know how badly. There may be much shuffling of the casting deck before the season has even begun.

I thought there were similar comments in the past about Part being cast for matinees.

Yes, she was always getting unproportionally high number of matinees, but this season it's all matinees and nothing but, except for Myrtha and Lescaut's lover.

I think they hold the evening performances for the marquee names that sell well, so they can sell tickets at maximum prices. Unfortunately V. Part is not (yet) a marquee name, and she's not a self-promoter on social media (at least in comparison to other dancers).

You should know all the same Bart, in reading Wolcot, that he's a huge personal fan of hers - he and his wife Laura Jacobs are a virtual cheering section at her performances. I may be wrong about this, and if so, I apologize in advance - but a few years back wasn't Jacobs calling for her to dance Kitri in Don Q, and then reviewing the performance or writing about it in Dance or Pointe magazine as the greatest Kitri ever?

and actually, she was a pretty damn good Kitri contrary to all a priori limitations. But certainly not the greatest ever. But pleasant in the role; and for all the tall stature, and the fact that I don't think her partner was able to handle her very well in lifts, I remember liking it last spring a lot better than Osipova's Kitri the prior couple of nights because of Part's innocent, sincere and uncalculated approach to the role.

I'm not sure it's fair to read anything into the matinee scheduling. After all, Vishneva's 10th Anniversary celebration is on a Saturday matinee.

Part has performed SL on opening nights of the run, as well as Sat nights in the past. It may be time to rotate her SL into the Wed matinee.

Whatever the reason is, it stinks for me because I can't get to Wednesday matinees. I've never seen her Swan Lake because she always seems to be dancing it on that day/time (like this year); at least as long as I've been wanting to see her in it. I know I'm really missing out.

I admire Wolcott and Jacobs' writing but can't really take anything they say about Veronika Part seriously. It doesn't sound just like purple prose gushing, it's like purple prose gushing with a dash of Victorian love letters with their endless gushing and superlatives.