This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Veronika Part: divided opinions?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#76 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

This thread is aptly named. The critics are just as divided.....

This is the first time I noticed that Veronika's last name, in English, also means "to divide".
Ms. Part got her name from her Estonian father.
In Estonian "part" means "duck" (as in the farm animal, not "look out......."). :)

#77 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

"Uninteresting" or "dull" are potent pronouncements and muscular writing, but dangerous critical terms. I had a discussion with another critic about an NYCB ballerina. He said she was uninteresting. I found her very interesting. There isn't much place for the conversation to go after that, is there?

Bravo :)
There is nothing really I can add to this, except to say I agree completely and wish all critics would take such things into consideration when writing their reviews. At least, if one is going to use those terms, they should explain in what way or for what causes, they see the performer as dull or uninteresting.

I also think it a mistake, in a critics first review of a performer (at least in their current job) to proclaim a dancer boring or uninteresting, as it gives them very little room to grow in their appreciation of that dancer. Every review afterwards is going to be read knowing "oh X dislikes dancer Y". Though I have to admit, it is certainly intellectually honest!

#78 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

I also think it a mistake, in a critics first review of a performer (at least in their current job) to proclaim a dancer boring or uninteresting, as it gives them very little room to grow in their appreciation of that dancer. Every review afterwards is going to be read knowing "oh X dislikes dancer Y". Though I have to admit, it is certainly intellectually honest!

When a dancer fails to make a good first impression on a critic, but later grows on her/him, it is always the dancer who changes, never the critic. :toot: :)

Same seems to hold for ballets.

But seriously, critics deserve the right to change their minds, same as the rest of us. I'd rather see one admit fallibility than perpetuate a like or dislike s/he no longer holds in the name of consistency.

#79 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

"Uninteresting" or "dull" are potent pronouncements and muscular writing, but dangerous critical terms. I had a discussion with another critic about an NYCB ballerina. He said she was uninteresting. I found her very interesting. There isn't much place for the conversation to go after that, is there?

Thanks for that, Leigh. It's a great reason to continue to demand that critics "Describe more; generalize less."

I find the labelling of certain dancers "musical" (or not) especially frustrating in this regard. Rare is the critic who can convey exactly what this means -- that is, how it looks on stage, and the feelings it produces for the viewer.

#80 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

Veronika's page on Gaynor Minden's website has been updated with a profile:

http://www.dancer.co...etail.php?id=23

#81 Haglund's

Haglund's

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

About 13 paragraphs down in that bio is a blurb about her being engaged to Alex Tressor. :lightbulb: Whoda thunk?

#82 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

... engaged to Alex Tressor. :shake: Whoda thunk?

Yes, Leningrad and Moscow!!!

#83 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

I wonder if they are already married?

That update was actually awhile ago. In any case, best wishes to the engaged/newly weds!

#84 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

If you check her website, you'll find that he designed it.
Has anyone seen the film "Part Time" that he made (is making) about her?
http://web.mac.com/t...p/Projects.html

#85 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for that link to the Tressor website, drb. I was afraid to ask who he was, but II didn't have a clue, and Google was not particularly helpful. Now I know. What an eclectic career! :shake:

#86 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

Do any ABT insiders know if Part will at all be dancing in the upcoming City Center-ABT season? I realize that the ABT website has a casting list but some ballets still indicate "company" for the soloist-casting. She seemed to be making amazing progress last spring, at the Met, so I'm a little baffled that her name isn't shown on the current casting list.

#87 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:39 AM

unless i am grossly mistaken, tressor is andrei kramarevsky's son, n'est-ce pas?

#88 pj

pj

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:43 AM

Yes, he is. :dunno:

#89 Haglund's

Haglund's

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

If you are near Toronto, ó
From the Toronto Star
Canadian Ballet Theatre Russian ballerina Svetlana Lunkina is Giselle, Bolshoi soloist Ruslan Skvortsov is Prince Albrecht and American Ballet Theatre soloist Veronica Part is Queen Myrtha in Nadia Veselova Tencer's staging of the classical ballet Giselle. At 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. in the Elgin Theatre, 189 Yonge St. For tickets, from $55 to $87, go to ticketmaster.ca or call 416-872-5555.

#90 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:58 AM

I love Part, and even though she barely danced with ABT at City Center, a trip from NY to Toronto to catch her Myrtha seemed extreme. But Iíve wanted to see Lunkinaís Giselle since the first time I saw her dance, so I went. The company brought in 2 other high profile guests, Ruslan Skvortsov of the Bolshoi and Fabrice Calmels of the Joffrey. All 4 of them were excellent, but for me it was Part who stole the show. Her Myrtha variations were closer to the Kirovís than the ABT version that Iím used to, and her combination of magisterial authority and deep regret is my favorite interpretation. Truthfully, the first time I saw this approach was from Victoria Tereshkina and it instantly became my benchmark for Myrtha. Partís amplitude, her gorgeous line & long, beautiful feet brought it to a new level for me. Itís uncanny how plush and generous her open chest and port de bras can be, yet those arms unfurl with iciness and implacability. A beautiful performance, well worth the trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):