This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Veronika Part: divided opinions?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#196 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

You should know all the same Bart, in reading Wolcot, that he's a huge personal fan of hers - he and his wife Laura Jacobs are a virtual cheering section at her performances.  I may be wrong about this, and if so, I apologize in advance - but a few years back wasn't Jacobs calling for her to dance Kitri in Don Q, and then reviewing the performance or writing about it in Dance or Pointe magazine as the greatest Kitri ever?  

and actually, she was a pretty damn good Kitri contrary to all a priori limitations.  But certainly not the greatest ever. But pleasant in the role; and for all the tall stature, and the fact that I don't think her partner was able to handle her very well in lifts, I remember liking it last spring a lot better than Osipova's Kitri the prior couple of nights because of Part's innocent, sincere and uncalculated approach to the role. 

#197 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'm not sure it's fair to read anything into the matinee scheduling. After all, Vishneva's 10th Anniversary celebration is on a Saturday matinee. 

Part has performed SL on opening nights of the run, as well as Sat nights in the past.  It may be time to rotate her SL into the Wed matinee.

#198 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Whatever the reason is, it stinks for me because I can't get to Wednesday matinees.  I've never seen her Swan Lake because she always seems to be dancing it on that day/time (like this year); at least as long as I've been wanting to see her in it.  I know I'm really missing out.  

#199 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I admire Wolcott and Jacobs' writing but can't really take anything they say about Veronika Part seriously. It doesn't sound just like purple prose gushing, it's like purple prose gushing with a dash of Victorian love letters with their endless gushing and superlatives. 

#200 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Did anyone get to see Veronika's Giselle in Columbia, MD, last weekend?  I'd love to hear details from any eye-witnesses!

#201 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:24 AM

This has been bouncing around on the web but I hadn't seen it discussed here. Video of a Q&A with Part:

#202 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

Nice interview. Very candid, although I was saddened to hear that she remains somewhat estranged from her family. 

#203 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Very nice interview. Thank you, Dale.

My wish for as long as I've known about her is to see her perform Swan Lake at a Mariinsky Festival. I'm glad to hear her say that she feels that she is at the top of her career, so maybe it'll still happen and I'll still keep hoping for it.

#204 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Interesting insights into ABT. It seems aside from Ratmansky not much guidance is happening

#205 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

Always interesting to hear about a dancer's background, and experiences in training and company life. She's not the first dancer to mention the difficulty of getting particular roles at ABT ("sometimes asking is not enough"). It's interesting to contrast that with more 'regional' companies like SFB, PNB and MCB where the principals generally are expected to perform in major roles for each program. It does seem strange that she's never been Giselle or Swanilda.

#206 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

Something has always puzzled me: I've read/heard previously that Veronika had a hard time adjusting to life in NYC when she first arrived and she mentions it again here - shopping for a duvet and not knowing the name. If Kolpakova urged her to go to ABT and with Irina and Max still in the company weren't there any Russian speakers who could have given her advice or at least offered to be a shopping buddy? It seems so callous to invite an artist to join a company and then leave them on their own to sink or swim both professionally and personally. I'm glad to hear she is leading a happier life now. Another thought - she mentions Marcelo and yet is usually cast with Stearns. Please give her a Swan Lake (or Giselle) with Marcelo!

#207 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the video, was very interesting.

Makes me sad to hear her talk about the typecasting, though.  We all know it exists at ABT (and probably at most places) but it's still makes me sad that someone as talented as her will probably never get a Giselle at the Met (nor will Gillian or Stella, as well).  As a non-dancer who doesn't know much about the politics of a company, I don't understand why an artistic director wouldn't give one of his principal dancers at least one shot at dancing a role like Giselle (especially considering Giselle is performed essentially every spring) to see if they could handle it.

Also sad to hear about the lack of support professionally.  Her comments about Ratmansky were good to hear, though.  The dancers of ABT are lucky to have him there.

#208 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

Something has always puzzled me: I've read/heard previously that Veronika had a hard time adjusting to life in NYC when she first arrived and she mentions it again here - shopping for a duvet and not knowing the name. If Kolpakova urged her to go to ABT and with Irina and Max still in the company weren't there any Russian speakers who could have given her advice or at least offered to be a shopping buddy? It seems so callous to invite an artist to join a company and then leave them on their own to sink or swim both professionally and personally. I'm glad to hear she is leading a happier life now. Another thought - she mentions Marcelo and yet is usually cast with Stearns. Please give her a Swan Lake (or Giselle) with Marcelo!

Well ... at the time Veronika arrived I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of professional jealousy towards her from ABT's roster. She was already somewhat of an established star and I don;t think anyone anticipated that her road at ABT would be so rocky. She also admits in her interview that she came across as aloof and unapproachable at first, because she's shy and not used to the culture. 

#209 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

It seems so callous to invite an artist to join a company and then leave them on their own to sink or swim both professionally and personally.

I've heard of this happening at numerous companies, and I think it may partly be due to the lack of funds to set up proper support (and support staff). The attitude tends to be, "you've been given this great opportunity, now show us that you deserve it!". And the dancer/new employee ends up wondering just what was so great about this 'opportunity'.  ;)

It's difficult to move to a new place, especially a new culture, and try to survive on your own. If you don't speak the language to begin with, it can be a nightmare.

And regarding Kaysta's statement:

As a non-dancer who doesn't know much about the politics of a company, I don't understand why an artistic director wouldn't give one of his principal dancers at least one shot at dancing a role like Giselle (especially considering Giselle is performed essentially every spring) to see if they could handle it.

Would this have anything to do with short program schedules, and the need to stick with certain favorite dancers (that is, the public's favorites) for those few dates? ABT does a lot of touring, so I would expect that to produce more opportunities, but perhaps Kevin McKenzie doesn't think that way. There does seem to be a bit of "rigidity" to the ABT approach.

I'm much more familiar with SFB, and it just hasn't been a problem there for principals to dance starring roles (perhaps more times than they care to). 2015 is actually the first year when there would seem to be more willing female principals and soloists at SFB than parts, but, they've been adding extra dates to the season, and if last year's tour is any indication, there will be lots of extra opportunities there. Where there is a will - and a chance for more money - there is a way.

#210 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:11 PM

Everyone is making interesting points.

Part was moving to a new country without knowing the language or culture.  Did she ask if there would be a support system?  What were her expectations?

Her example of not knowing how to shop for a duvet is kind of funny.  I'll bet a bunch of people in the US don't know that word.  

She must have have some help.  After all she found an apartment and got groceries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):