This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Veronika Part: divided opinions?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#196 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

You should know all the same Bart, in reading Wolcot, that he's a huge personal fan of hers - he and his wife Laura Jacobs are a virtual cheering section at her performances.  I may be wrong about this, and if so, I apologize in advance - but a few years back wasn't Jacobs calling for her to dance Kitri in Don Q, and then reviewing the performance or writing about it in Dance or Pointe magazine as the greatest Kitri ever?  

and actually, she was a pretty damn good Kitri contrary to all a priori limitations.  But certainly not the greatest ever. But pleasant in the role; and for all the tall stature, and the fact that I don't think her partner was able to handle her very well in lifts, I remember liking it last spring a lot better than Osipova's Kitri the prior couple of nights because of Part's innocent, sincere and uncalculated approach to the role. 

#197 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'm not sure it's fair to read anything into the matinee scheduling. After all, Vishneva's 10th Anniversary celebration is on a Saturday matinee. 

Part has performed SL on opening nights of the run, as well as Sat nights in the past.  It may be time to rotate her SL into the Wed matinee.

#198 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Whatever the reason is, it stinks for me because I can't get to Wednesday matinees.  I've never seen her Swan Lake because she always seems to be dancing it on that day/time (like this year); at least as long as I've been wanting to see her in it.  I know I'm really missing out.  

#199 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I admire Wolcott and Jacobs' writing but can't really take anything they say about Veronika Part seriously. It doesn't sound just like purple prose gushing, it's like purple prose gushing with a dash of Victorian love letters with their endless gushing and superlatives. 

#200 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Did anyone get to see Veronika's Giselle in Columbia, MD, last weekend?  I'd love to hear details from any eye-witnesses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):