• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#166 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Q: why is Part still listed -- with a photograph -- under "Soloists" on the ABT website?

Volcanohunter answered that a few posts back. It is frustrating to see that though, isn't it? She's been languishing there long enough...and if they could bother with changing her photo, why not just go ahead and put it under Principals?

#167 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

The timing seems dumb, but contractual, and she'll be moved if the webmaster has his/her act together when her contract kicks in.

Bad timing is what happened to former Colorado Ballet dancer Crystal Hartford, from today's lead Links:

"They let me know February 17th -- I'll never forget that day," said Hartford, 24. (According to Artistic Director Gil Boggs, attendance and ticket sales were up this season, but a drop in contributions led him to lay off four dancers.) Her first thought: "My career's over, especially given the way the economy is right now." To make matters worse, the timing of the bad news meant that she had already missed out on many of the annual open auditions typically held by ballet troupes in January and February.

#168 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

The timing seems dumb, but contractual, and she'll be moved if the webmaster has his/her act together when her contract kicks in.

Bad timing is what happened to former Colorado Ballet dancer Crystal Hartford, from today's lead Links:

"They let me know February 17th -- I'll never forget that day," said Hartford, 24. (According to Artistic Director Gil Boggs, attendance and ticket sales were up this season, but a drop in contributions led him to lay off four dancers.) Her first thought: "My career's over, especially given the way the economy is right now." To make matters worse, the timing of the bad news meant that she had already missed out on many of the annual open auditions typically held by ballet troupes in January and February.

That seems par for the course. Most dancers find out the horrible news towards the end of the audition season when they have to scramble.

#169 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

I think Veronika looks more youthful and happy in her new photo. The one with the cropped 'do I didn't like (I don't think she looks good with short hair). She's really smiling in this photo, and I think it's fitting because I imagine she must be happy that after a long and sometimes frustrating career she's finally been appointed to principal. It reminds me of her Bayadere last season with Marcelo. Afterwards she looked radiantly happy, as if she knew she had given a great performance, and the audience knew it. I had a feeling good things were going to happen afterward and I was right. :wallbash:

#170 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

Q: why is Part still listed -- with a photograph -- under "Soloists" on the ABT website?

Volcanohunter answered that a few posts back. It is frustrating to see that though, isn't it? She's been languishing there long enough...and if they could bother with changing her photo, why not just go ahead and put it under Principals?

Veronika's picture and bio is,finally, listed in the Principal dancers section of the ABT website. :) :clapping:

#171 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

Veronika's picture and bio is,finally, listed in the Principal dancers section of the ABT website. :) :clapping:

:yahoo:

And hopefully they will fix this on her bio:

"She was promoted to soloist in 1998 and to Principal Dancer in 2009."

#172 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

:yahoo:

And hopefully they will fix this on her bio:

"She was promoted to soloist in 1998 and to Principal Dancer in 2009."

Good luck. I've notified ABT of several mistakes I've seen in their principal dancer bios--missing roles, wrong dates, typos whatever--and I've waited two years now, and still not seen any of them fixed. Makes me wonder if there is anyone left there to notice or care.

#173 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Here's a wonderful NY Times piece about Part, by Gia Kourlas. Thanks, dirac, for the Link.

http://www.nytimes.c...n...llet&st=cse

(New York Times, June 4, 2009)

#174 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:37 AM

It was also reprinted in the June 7 Arts Section. :)

#175 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

You're very welcome, bart. :(

atm711, what's been happening recently with NYT Sunday pieces is that they don't show up electronically until Sunday or close to it, but when they are posted the date given with the article is usually two or three days earlier. So a link that appears in the Sunday print edition can sometimes be found online by Saturday, but the article itself can be dated as early as Thursday or Wednesday. It's kind of a pain. (The M.O. with the Links is to go by the date with the article itself, to make it easier to determine if an article has already been posted and for the sake of uniformity, in so far as uniformity is possible.....)

#176 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

She is an old school dancer of a highly individualistic type that is out of sync with todays streamlined, fast and virtuosic ideal. Her upper body and arms weave spells. .....

She is a dancer who thrives on adagio and likes to stretch out the steps and elongate the line. She also slows down tempos. People think that this always makes things easier but it also requires strength to sustain the physical movements. She does sustain them and almost always seamlessly.

I agree completely. She's a very rate type -- a danseuse noble -- which is why she was so wonderful as Lilac in the Kirov's old/new "Beauty" and why she's so gorgeous in adagio. She's not built to do quick turns!

She was sensational as Myrta in the Giselle last night with Osipova and Hallberg!
angelica

#177 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

I'm late to the Gate on this one! I'm so happy for Veronika! Congratulations Veronika ! :bow: :lol: :flowers:

#178 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

Here is a wonderful piece on Veronika Part from The Ballet Bag blog earlier this summer.

http://theballetbag....eautiful-woman/

#179 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

On the Mariinsky website is a nice interview with Veronika.

http://www.mariinsky...interview_part/

#180 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

I just came across this video clip of Part and Marcelo Gomes, dancing an excerpt from the pas de deux in Alexei Ratmansky's new Nutcracker. It was danced, in practice clothes, at a Works in Progress demonstration at the Guggenheim.

This video may have been posted on BA before. If so, I apologize. But -- as someone who has only been able to see Part dance once, as Lilac Fairy, and who has wanted to see much more -- I appreciated the chance to experience again , however briefly, the musicality, warmth of her personality and plush velvet quality of her movement. She is, in my book, a real ballerina.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):