199 replies to this topic

#136 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

is this structure because the dancers want more freedom to perform with other companies and the companies can't foster a collection of principal and soloist dancers who only work with one company?

Opera singers free lance and I have no real sense than the power of the Met is to organize and mount elaborate productions from lots of "free lance" talent.

Is ballet following this path?

#137 Memo

Memo

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

I just read a portion of the thread for the first time. I also agree with Adam. The article could be a romantic piece of prose or a work of fiction about a sad ballerina suffering and misunderstood for her art. I think it is a big plug for her to join the Royal although it is disguised as one it does not really take the form of an "interview" at all.

#138 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

No Veronika Part Swan Lake would be complete without Vanity Fair's James Wolcott giving us an update on his blog:

http://www.vanityfai...from-the-b.html

#139 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

I've deleted two posts that referred to a discussion on another message board. A reminder that it is our policy not to post links to other discussions boards. When and if there is news of Veronika Part in a newspaper or other news source we'll be glad to discuss it.

#140 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

Just a point here about "news sources".. what constitutes a news source? Are blogs, such as Huffington Post a news source? Is James Wolcott's blog a new source?

I am not disputing your policy of not linking to other discussions boards, but can you explain the wisdom of that policy?

#141 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

No, Sander O, we don't explain the wisdom of our policies. They're our policies and you agree to follow them when you sign up. This forum has been around for a long time, and we're not here to debate forum policies and what went into making them, but to discuss ballet. I posted about blogs associated with printed sources in my post.

Editing to add that my post stating that 2 posts had been deleted wasn't meant as a chiding, but as an explanation so that someone wouldn't think that something had gone wrong with the board, or his/her post had disappeared and needed to be reposted.

Please return to the discussion on Part!

#142 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Here's a direct quote from ABT to Ballet Talk:

"Veronika Part will be dancing with ABT next season."

#143 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thank you very much for checking, Dale -- and for posting, of course.

#144 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

"Dancing with." I love the lack of specificity. Presumably they omitted the phrase "Details to follow". Or "Our people are talking with her people." Still, it's an encouragement to hope. Thanks, Dale.

#145 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Bart, I think it's more concrete than "Our people are talking with her people." They've stopped talking and she is a member of ABT. I hope now that this is out of the way, she'll be able to get on with her career and that it shows that ABT will be happier to use her more often.

#146 Adam

Adam

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

It is vague, though. "She'll always have a position with ABT." (Selling shoes in the lobby?)

#147 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

I think they were trying to answer directly and succinctly so there would NOT be a misunderstanding. I think it's safe to take the statement at face value.

#148 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

Now, we definitely know that someone at ABT reads Ballet talk. :wink: :) :clapping:

#149 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

Oh, bingham, thank you for pointing that out. We should all realize that every company has people who read internet forums, blogs, etc. (I think, though, in this instance, we called ABT.)

#150 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

I know they read this site because I discuss it with some managment there! In fact I told them I learn information about cast changes here before I read it elsewhere. BT is where it's at!

I hope that Ms Part is promoted to Principal. Now that would be interesting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):