• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:02 AM

I must say, I was surprized to read that ABT's version of Swan Lake is so tradtional! Unless they have changed the setting, the story, and the choreography markedly since last year, it is, for me at least, an absolute travesty, and anyone with the least knowledge of its history should know that. A traditional Swan Lake has a lot more than just the Ivanov white swan pas de deux and the Petipa Black Swan, and ABT's version is wrongheaded in so many ways, theatrically and choreographically.

Cargill I agree with you 100% . It's unfortunate but these days when we are subjected to ballets called Swan Lake that feature Odette confined to a mental ward or Von Rothbart dragging a dead swan across the stage or a Can-Can in the third act I can understand how a mass market review can consider any production that hews to the basics of the story and includes some of the traditional choreography to be "traditional". Not only McKenzie's, even Martin's version is considered by some people to be traditional in relation to what's out there. Perhaps we need to start a truth in advertising campaign for ballet companies. I understand that Swan Lake fills the seats, but there should be some basic requirements for calling a ballet Swan Lake besides just using the Tchaikovsky score.

#17 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

I don't know how the Times works. Most papers will cover the first night.

It seems (at least this season) that the New York Times covers the first night, usually in a stand alone review (as in, its a review of the production overall and a single cast).
Then there will be a second review covering the next few casts.

For example with Manon--
it opened Monday, which was reviewed. Then there was a second review on thursday or friday, which included the casts for tues eve, weds mat and eve.

The scope however, makes the 2nd review rather cursory.

they don't bother with the rest of the casts, in part i think because there have for the most part, been about 4 main casts for each ballet--and they all get "covered" in this plan. Of course, dancers vary from night to night, some of the lesser but still important dancers will change, and even one or two of the principles might, but in general, every cast gets some degree of coverage.

On the whole, I think the reviews in the Times sort of stink!

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

A traditional Swan Lake has a lot more than just the Ivanov white swan pas de deux and the Petipa Black Swan...

I think this needs to be repeated over and over again, until it is absorbed.

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

A traditional Swan Lake has a lot more than just the Ivanov white swan pas de deux and the Petipa Black Swan...

I think this needs to be repeated over and over again, until it is absorbed.

Consider this one repetition. :wink: Preaching to the choir, perhaps, but let this be a starting point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):