This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SAB Workshop Performances June '06

To the best of my recollection, this is the first time in some years that the Workshop has been reviewed by the Times's chief dance critic. So that's good, given the importance of the occasion. Mr. Rockwell was right to say that it's hard "to dole out adjectives and adverbs to young dancers who have worked on their art for years." But that didn't stop him from doing just that: "stiff and deadpan," "pasted-on smiles," "blandly." And you don't have to be a dance critic, chief or otherwise, to notice that "To judge by these dancers, boys in their late teans mature later than the girls."

He also says, "Monday night was a gala, and so it was perhaps not surprising that the casting was stronger." I AM surprised at such a statement, and think that in the future, all three workshop performances, not just two, should be reviewed.

He also says, "Monday night was a gala, and so it was perhaps not surprising that the casting was stronger." I AM surprised at such a statement, and think that in the future, all three workshop performances, not just two, should be reviewed.

Rockwell has proven many times he knows little about ballet. I'm often shocked at his arrogant but ignorant comments. But it is nice to see the Workshop being reviewed in the Times, though I agree with Farrell Fan that it seems only fair to review all three performances. SAB Workshop happens only once a year.

Will someone remind me what Rockwell's background is? I remember when he first was taking over there were quite a few long involved discussions on his lack of exposure to ballet, etc.

It surely does seem that he put his foot in his mouth a few times, even for a critic. :angel_not:

John Rockwell was for many years the rock music critic of the Times, which gave his name appropriate resonance. After a while, he also reviewed classical music, and then he became the guiding force of the Lincoln Center Festival. I was not among those who were bothered by his appointment as chief dance critic. I thought it would bring a fresh viewpoint, that of an intelligent audience member rather than a dance scholar, to the Times, and, equally important, livelier writing . For the most part this has been the case, except of course when he irritates me.

That's right - music...now I remember. Thank you Farrel Fan and I just loved your explanation "I thought it would bring a fresh viewpoint, that of an intelligent audience member rather than a dance scholar, to the Times, and, equally important, livelier writing . For the most part this has been the case, except of course when he irritates me." :grinning-smiley-001: