SAB Workshop Performances June '06

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 support system

support system

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:10 AM

In Saturday's Bouree Fantasque, Alicia Fecto replaced Lauren Brown.

I am always impressed by the SAB Workshop, and particularly enjoyed Square Dance, a work I have never seen. The complexity is astounding, Erica and Anthony did a fabulous job in the PM.

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Was this change for the mat. or evening?

#18 support system

support system

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

Both performances.

#19 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for that as it's very important to get it right and one was only following the program. Those two girls were lovely and impressive.

Which girl was which, i.e., which Fecto and which Baden? One was noticeably taller than the other. Though it's hard to describe people in print.

I do think that Square Dance was a little bit of an odd choice for a Workshop Piece --Because it's so very devilishly hard and tricky of a ballet. The most you can ask of a student performer, even the most gifted one, is that they get through it credibly -- To deliver more than that require strength and maturity that are simply impossible for any dancer young enough to be at SAB.

The last time they did that -- used a piece which required mature Ballerina presence -- was when they did Ballo Della Regina with the Jessica Flynn, Ana Sophia Scheller, Megan Fairchild casting. The students did that very well too -- but it was a ballet that in principal required more strength and maturity than seventeen to eighteen year olds can ever bring.

#20 jimmattimore

jimmattimore

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:52 PM

I went to the Saturday Matinee SAB workshop. I thought Erica Pereira and Anthony Huxley(leads in Square Dance) stole the show. What a great pair. Erica was very light and quick on her feet. She danced with grace and ease. Anthony's solo was amazing. A well matched pair they looked like they were having fun!!!!!!

I agree with BSS that Huxley and Pereira were simply wonderful in Square Dance. The evening leads were equally accomplished, different in style. But Erica's lightness, quickness, and sheer joy in dancing were special, and Anthony exuded from his entire body, not needing facial expression to transmit emotion, passion and exquisite beauty. The coaching on all three pieces was, as usual, exceptional.

Huxley and Pereira were fabulous.

Kathryn Morgan was magnificent last year. better this one , and if she doesn't get a contract offer from Peter I will be stunned.

She is this year's Tiler Peck.

I love her.

And I do not love Scenes de Ballet.

To me "Square Dance" is with "Afternoon of a Faun" a perfect ballet.

I could watch "Square Dance" for days.

Jim Mattimore

#21 accob

accob

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

Which girl was which, i.e., which Fecto and which Baden? One was noticeably taller than the other. Though it's hard to describe people in print.

The taller girl, with dark hair was Gabriel Baden.

#22 support system

support system

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:31 AM

Did anyone see the Monday night performance?

#23 YoYoSupSup

YoYoSupSup

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

I went to Monday nite's Gala performance & was not particularly impressed with opening number. Square Dance was another story! It was incredibly challenging and the two leads pulled it off effortlessly. The best partnering in an SAB Workshop in years!

#24 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:57 AM

In today's New York Times - John Rockwell's take on the performances: The Annual Workshop Performances of the School of American Ballet. Not having attended, I can't speak to it, but thought you all who did might.

#25 BSS

BSS

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:06 AM

I respectfully disagree with Mr Rockwells comments about the Saturday afternoon show Square Dance was outstanding!!!!!!!! There were no balance issues at all that I could see Erica and Anthony were ROCK solid. I also was at the 8pm show and was impressed with the entire show that night. All in all i feel these kids did a great job. As far as the Monday night show goes i didnt attend so i really cant comment on the that show.

#26 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:17 AM

To the best of my recollection, this is the first time in some years that the Workshop has been reviewed by the Times's chief dance critic. So that's good, given the importance of the occasion. Mr. Rockwell was right to say that it's hard "to dole out adjectives and adverbs to young dancers who have worked on their art for years." But that didn't stop him from doing just that: "stiff and deadpan," "pasted-on smiles," "blandly." And you don't have to be a dance critic, chief or otherwise, to notice that "To judge by these dancers, boys in their late teans mature later than the girls."

He also says, "Monday night was a gala, and so it was perhaps not surprising that the casting was stronger." I AM surprised at such a statement, and think that in the future, all three workshop performances, not just two, should be reviewed.

#27 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:34 AM

He also says, "Monday night was a gala, and so it was perhaps not surprising that the casting was stronger." I AM surprised at such a statement, and think that in the future, all three workshop performances, not just two, should be reviewed.

Rockwell has proven many times he knows little about ballet. I'm often shocked at his arrogant but ignorant comments. But it is nice to see the Workshop being reviewed in the Times, though I agree with Farrell Fan that it seems only fair to review all three performances. SAB Workshop happens only once a year.

#28 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:57 AM

Will someone remind me what Rockwell's background is? I remember when he first was taking over there were quite a few long involved discussions on his lack of exposure to ballet, etc.

It surely does seem that he put his foot in his mouth a few times, even for a critic. :angel_not:

#29 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

John Rockwell was for many years the rock music critic of the Times, which gave his name appropriate resonance. After a while, he also reviewed classical music, and then he became the guiding force of the Lincoln Center Festival. I was not among those who were bothered by his appointment as chief dance critic. I thought it would bring a fresh viewpoint, that of an intelligent audience member rather than a dance scholar, to the Times, and, equally important, livelier writing . For the most part this has been the case, except of course when he irritates me.

#30 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

That's right - music...now I remember. Thank you Farrel Fan and I just loved your explanation "I thought it would bring a fresh viewpoint, that of an intelligent audience member rather than a dance scholar, to the Times, and, equally important, livelier writing . For the most part this has been the case, except of course when he irritates me." :grinning-smiley-001:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):