16 replies to this topic

#16 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Having seen both Chenchikova and Somova, I can confirm that they are indeed pretty much stylistic opposites. Although Chenchikova did have her flamboyant moments (she could pirouette like a tornado) she confined such things to appropriately bravura moments in the choreography.

#17 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:41 AM

I think that she would do very well if coached intensely in Forsythe or some Balanchine

Forsytheís style would appear to be ideal for Somova, but correct me if Iím wrong; I donít think she has appeared in any of his works yet and instead has been cast predominantly in the classics. Balanchine will give her problems as her basic technique looks suspect to me and she doesnít have the precision needed for most Balanchine works.

Somova isnít the only dancer to specialize in frightening extensions at the Kirov as they are becoming a dominant feature of the new style that is emerging in St Petersburg, where all penchee arabesques are required to be at least 180 degrees regardless of context. Ms Somova goes well beyond 180 and pushes to the limits most peoples ideas of stylistic acceptability. Not mentioned quite as often is the way she holds her head while dancing, which looks rather odd. She still looks an unfinished article to me, so why is she constantly cast in leading roles?

Although there are few things in dance so disheartening as teachers that simply try to create clones of themselves; how a beautiful dancer like Chenchikova could produce a Somova is beyond my comprehension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):